Kansas City Roll Call (B12 Tournament)

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I live in KC and Q39 is my go to. The people who don’t say Q39 usually say KC Joes, which you can’t really go wrong either way. I also like Char Bar in Westport near Kelly’s if your already going there.

Joe's and Q39 are the 2 places that are actually deserving of their reputation.

There's something about a place having the right ambiance for a BBQ joint and Q39 just feels like it's catered to the JoCo and Plaza crowd. I like walking into a place and "feeling" like I'm at an actual BBQ joint. That's part of the appeal of Danny's and the Junction. You walk into those places and don't feel out of place having a beer and making a mess.

Reactions: fcclone

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Places for Q:

Completely overrated:

- Jack Stack - there is much better bbq to be had and especially at their prices
- Gates - Straight up trash
- Bryants - Slightly better than Gates
- Slaps - Don't get the rage. Been there twice and it was totally mediocre

My favorites:

- Danny Edwards - Been my joint for almost a decade. Love the burnt ends, fries, and sauce. People that work their/own it are also good people. Hours (11-3) can make it tough to eat there.
- Joes - I always try to avoid the gas station locatoin as it's a major PIA. If it's someone's first time I get you gotta try it once.
- Q39 - Not the best value but the food is pretty amazing.
- Blind Box - Likely has the best collection of sides in the metro and the Q is great too. Only place I'm aware of where you can choose if you want your burnt ends fattier/less fattier.
- The Junction - It's a newer place, only been open for about a year in Lenexa, but the food is great. Their Q Rangoons are the bomb.
- Hawg Jaw - Probably some of the best value in the metro. I think I got a craft beer with my meal for 2.50 and couldn't believe it.
- A Little BBQ Joint - It's way the hell out of the way in Independence, but the food is worth the drive
- Roscoes - Same as above.

Other than the Slaps comment, I agree with everything you've said.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Other than the Slaps comment, I agree with everything you've said.

I was just about to reply similarly. I've had good food every time I've gone. Their potato salad is heavenly.

To be fair, they should remove cheesy corn from their menu. It's terrible.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I was just about to reply similarly. I've had good food every time I've gone. Their potato salad is heavenly.

To be fair, they should remove cheesy corn from their menu. It's terrible.

It's not that it's terrible. If someone said "hey this place is above average, check it out" I would likely say it's a fair comment. But when it's an a city/area with so many homeruns it simply doesn't merit the reviews it gets. I had the burnt ends and brisket as well as some underwhelming sides (I don't like potato salad so it's an automatic no go). I left both times thinking "I just don't get it". The second time the GF was with me and she concurred. At that point I knew it wasn't just me.

Everyone has their own opinion (obviously) but even if you don't agree with something you can at least understand why one feels that way. When it comes to Slaps I am absolutely floored by the number of rave reviews. Whatever, I just chose not to go there. It's a jaunt for me as it is anyway.

I've been REALLY wanting to try the place that serves on the weekends in the West Bottoms. It looks delish and it's had rave reviews. Have you tried that?

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
It's actually the KC Chamber of Commerce that will be funding the buyout.
Some of the best times of my life have been at the Big 12 tournament. The beautiful spring weather after a long winter (usually), half of the state of Iowa moving into town for a long weekend, not feeling bad about drinking from 9am- 1am, and then the feeling when you walk into Hilton South and pull out a hell of a victory just to go party with all your fellow Cyclones, there isn’t a feeling like it really. Hate not going to KC with the attitude that the tournament is ours to lose. Hope we can get back to winning ways soon

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Places for Q:

Completely overrated:

- Jack Stack - there is much better bbq to be had and especially at their prices
- Gates - Straight up trash
- Bryants - Slightly better than Gates
- Slaps - Don't get the rage. Been there twice and it was totally mediocre

My favorites:

- Danny Edwards - Been my joint for almost a decade. Love the burnt ends, fries, and sauce. People that work their/own it are also good people. Hours (11-3) can make it tough to eat there.
- Joes - I always try to avoid the gas station locatoin as it's a major PIA. If it's someone's first time I get you gotta try it once.
- Q39 - Not the best value but the food is pretty amazing.
- Blind Box - Likely has the best collection of sides in the metro and the Q is great too. Only place I'm aware of where you can choose if you want your burnt ends fattier/less fattier.
- The Junction - It's a newer place, only been open for about a year in Lenexa, but the food is great. Their Q Rangoons are the bomb.
- Hawg Jaw - Probably some of the best value in the metro. I think I got a craft beer with my meal for 2.50 and couldn't believe it.
- A Little BBQ Joint - It's way the hell out of the way in Independence, but the food is worth the drive
- Roscoes - Same as above.
Nice list. I will be trying some of those.
Several I have enjoyed that aren’t too fancy:
- Smokehouse Barbecue, north of the river in Gladstone.
- The Woodyard is a convenient location just off 35 south of 635. It may have live music outdoors Friday night. It has a big stone smoker out front that lends to the ambiance.
- Hayward’s Pit BBQ, really good brisket

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's not that it's terrible. If someone said "hey this place is above average, check it out" I would likely say it's a fair comment. But when it's an a city/area with so many homeruns it simply doesn't merit the reviews it gets. I had the burnt ends and brisket as well as some underwhelming sides (I don't like potato salad so it's an automatic no go). I left both times thinking "I just don't get it". The second time the GF was with me and she concurred. At that point I knew it wasn't just me.

Everyone has their own opinion (obviously) but even if you don't agree with something you can at least understand why one feels that way. When it comes to Slaps I am absolutely floored by the number of rave reviews. Whatever, I just chose not to go there. It's a jaunt for me as it is anyway.

I've been REALLY wanting to try the place that serves on the weekends in the West Bottoms. It looks delish and it's had rave reviews. Have you tried that?

I haven't yet, but I've heard about it. I work in the bottoms and usually stay away during the weekends. There used to be a food truck that would set up over by Kemper that only served various meats. Their sausages were pretty amazing.

No worries about SLAPS not being your thing. BBQ is subjective. I've had a bad meal there, but overall I'm a fan. I tend to stick with Joes as my go-to, and then randomly hit others and compare.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
That was a different experience to be sure... Have been to a few football games post covid but this was first basketball one. To sit top row in TMobile Center and hear players call out picks/ coaches yell out plays ( my word Bruce Weber )... was different to say the least. Could have counted about 500 people in the stands by the start of our game / maybe 100 of which were ISU fans - lot different than most year.

Hopefully can sneak away from desk during day for womens game / if not hope they are still in it over the weekend.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I haven't yet, but I've heard about it. I work in the bottoms and usually stay away during the weekends. There used to be a food truck that would set up over by Kemper that only served various meats. Their sausages were pretty amazing.

No worries about SLAPS not being your thing. BBQ is subjective. I've had a bad meal there, but overall I'm a fan. I tend to stick with Joes as my go-to, and then randomly hit others and compare.

It's cool. I think most locals can agree on Bryants and Gates, but the 2 many will cite as being great that I don't get are Slaps and Jack Stack. On the latter I made my final judgement when I finally made it to the OG (Martin City location) and was still underwhelmed. With that said there are a lot of people who think JS is overrated, but very few feel that way about Slaps. I guess that's why I pick on them a bit.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
It's cool. I think most locals can agree on Bryants and Gates, but the 2 many will cite as being great that I don't get are Slaps and Jack Stack. On the latter I made my final judgement when I finally made it to the OG (Martin City location) and was still underwhelmed. With that said there are a lot of people who think JS is overrated, but very few feel that way about Slaps. I guess that's why I pick on them a bit.

Jack Stack is the Cheesecake Factory of KC BBQ.

Reactions: ZRF

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Nice list. I will be trying some of those.
Several I have enjoyed that aren’t too fancy:
- Smokehouse Barbecue, north of the river in Gladstone.
- The Woodyard is a convenient location just off 35 south of 635. It may have live music outdoors Friday night. It has a big stone smoker out front that lends to the ambiance.
- Hayward’s Pit BBQ, really good brisket

I’m a big fan of Woodyard. I do a lot of work in that area and love grabbing lunch over there.