Killing Creeping Charlie / Wild Violets

acqflisu

Apr 20, 2006
Davenport, Iowa
'Tis the season for week killing I guess.

I have been battling my neighbors poor practices of weed control (none) for years and have a nice crop of creeping charlie and/or wild violets....I cannot tell the difference.

I have used alternating applications of Trimec and 2-4-D.
I have used repeated applications of Trimec.
I have used Spectracide Weed Stop.

The Spectracide has been the most effective at weakening them, but doesn't quite put them out of their misery.

Any better suggestions?

Also, does Trimec have a shelf life? Mine is now a few years old.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Control Burn off your neighbors lawn tonight to shock his weeds.THen tell him that weeds can be dangerous for fires.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

I have been battling my neighbors poor practices of weed control (none) for years and have a nice crop of creeping charlie and/or wild violets....I cannot tell the difference.

Wild Violet:
1.jpg

Creeping charlie:
Ground-Ivy-in-Lawn.jpg

Glechoma_hederacea2.jpg

Spectracide Weed Stop has the same active ingredients as Trimec just in lower amounts.

I believe most companies list expiration date as 2 years after the manufacturing date. If much older than that you may benefit from new chemical.

As for other suggestions, you may try repeat applications at 3-4 week intervals to really knock it back. Just make sure to do it while the weed is actively growing and it's not too hot. The Trimec label should have information about repeat applications and maximum rates in a year.

As I put in the other thread you could also try sponge apply Roundup. It will take time to do but you should see improved control.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

The Spectracide has been the most effective at weakening them, but doesn't quite put them out of their misery.

Any better suggestions?

If your neighbors dont care you are screwed.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Creeping Charlie is a *****, and it's abundant in my neighborhood. Used to be planted regularly as a lawn substitute for grass during the oil embargo in the 70's. I haven't found anything, short of my pulling it or a controled burn, that will kill it consistently.

Good luck.

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes

Any better suggestions?

Yep the same as always. Get a lawn service. No weeds, no weird stuff, just grass.....Amazing.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I get in the zone pulling creeping Charlie. Hate em in my yard but actually enjoy pulling them.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
You can't kill Creeping Charlie in the spring with anything less than roundup, which will also kill the grass. Apply Trimec in the fall when the plants are storing root reserves for winter, usually after Sept.1-15, but while the plant is still active. It won't look like it is working in the fall, but most of the weeds will be gone the next spring. Might take 2 yearsto catch them all.

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
If all else fails, you might consider Banvel (dicamba)

-VERY- good control on wide range of broadleaves etc. and is pretty
gentle on grasses.

Downside... it's also very prone to vaporize and drift, so you want to be
very sure the situation warrants using it in areas where there is any flowers
gardens etc. (IE in town)

You are NOT going to want to apply it to the entire lawn at one time either.
We used it at the M-I-Law's lawn in OC. spraying with a hand squirter,
very small areas at a time -on cooler, less windy days, and by the end of the
summer we had cleaned up the entire lawn.

Good luck.

m.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any better suggestions?

Also, does Trimec have a shelf life? Mine is now a few years old.[/QUOTE]

ISUENGR

May 15, 2010
Ames, IA
Last year I purchased Super Brush & Weed Killer at Earl May in the spring and every three weeks I reapplied. I did this until October. My lawn is finally free of creeping charlie. I anticipate I will have to occasional spray around the perimeter of my lawn since my neighbors have the charlie and do not treat it. You need to dilute this chemical with water; however, I made mine stronger than what was recommended and my grass was fine.

I also use the Earl May brand for fighting crabgrass and weeds. They are a little more expensive, but their stuff works.

68clone

Apr 21, 2006
You can't kill Creeping Charlie in the spring with anything less than roundup, which will also kill the grass. Apply Trimec in the fall when the plants are storing root reserves for winter, usually after Sept.1-15, but while the plant is still active. It won't look like it is working in the fall, but most of the weeds will be gone the next spring. Might take 2 yearsto catch them all.

This, plus do it again 2 weeks later.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Vietnam Action is over. Shouldn't have to worry about creeping Charlie.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
i had ALOT of creeping charlie in my yard when i purchased my house. i just used the standard ortho or spectracide "kills the weeds but not the grass" stuff. i used the kind u screw on to the end of the hose. if u overspray on to broadleaf u dont want dead, like shrubs or bushes just spray those again with water only to wash off the weed killer. 1st time killed 75%, 2nd time 3-4 weeks later killed 95-100%. then i still have to do it once a year around the perimeter because of neighboring yard and i have alot of hedges where they like to hide.

Last edited:

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
Milestone is a similar chemical to Tordon/Grazon. It works awesome anytime of year and you dont need a license. I use 3oz per acre plus spike a 1/2 pint of 2-4D. I use it in my yard, ditches, fence rows. No weeds left, just grass. If you are spraying thistles or other tough weeds you can bump up the Milestone to 5-6oz. That rate might be tough on your yard though.

podo67

Apr 3, 2006
Charlie don't surf.
The best time to kill creeping charlie is in the fall. Just before frost, spray it with your best broadleaf spray with Borax added to the mix. Then approx. 2 weeks later, hit it again. In the fall it is taking energy into roots, therefore better kill. But this will be a continual ritual if your neighbor doesn't control his. It will keep coming across.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Milestone is a similar chemical to Tordon/Grazon. It works awesome anytime of year and you dont need a license. I use 3oz per acre plus spike a 1/2 pint of 2-4D. I use it in my yard, ditches, fence rows. No weeds left, just grass. If you are spraying thistles or other tough weeds you can bump up the Milestone to 5-6oz. That rate might be tough on your yard though.

Doesnt it cost like $800 a gallon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron