Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Everyone is just speculating, me include. To answer your first question, it is a one man shop out of Tulsa that seems to specialize in race related representations (including personal injury), but I am not finding much of anything on large settlements where he was lead counsel, trials, etc. That is something plaintiffs' attorneys always promote for obvious reasons. Maybe he is extremely humble. To the players benefit, anyone, would be a step up from the Green character that was speaking on their behalf previously.

Mr. Parrish does have a reputation and is good at knowing how to get in the media and get his name out there. Sometimes that benefit is worth taking on a case with some thorns. This one absolutely has $ problems, all these type of cases do, which is why the ones with a lot of merit get snapped up by the most well funded plaintiffs' firms from around the US. Maybe they can go to a litigation funder, but those have steep rates and difficult criteria for approval.

I had a case for a college where the plaintiffs' alleged a certain program was "too hard", not joking. This somewhat reminds me of that. Only reason it is getting some publicity is b/c they have this racial issue, which seems overblown. For credibility they need a lot of players that actually stayed 4-5 years as plaintiffs, not guys that did not play and left.
I think you're a little off here.. Multiple players that graduated from Iowa and are / were in the NFL were the first ones to draw light on this issue. Some of them were even interviewed by Husch-Blackwell. Those that left the program did so due to the very fact that they were treated poorly and unjustly due to their race.

This case is incredibly different than players alleging the program was "too hard" for them and the fact that you think these racial issues are overblown when there were over 70 players in total that spoke out tells me all I need to know regarding your stance on this matter.

Did you even read the report done? Did you read the stories from former players, current players, and even staff members describing what it was like being a black player in that program?

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I had a case for a college where the plaintiffs' alleged a certain program was "too hard", not joking. This somewhat reminds me of that. Only reason it is getting some publicity is b/c they have this racial issue, which seems overblown. For credibility they need a lot of players that actually stayed 4-5 years as plaintiffs, not guys that did not play and left.

There are 2 reports one from 2018 and the Hush-Blackwell that both state that the imposed program rules " perpetuated racial or cultural biases and diminished the value of cultural diversity". Regardless of how much these players played or how long they stayed they have documentation of this in these reports and so is not overblown.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are 2 reports one from 2018 and the Hush-Blackwell that both state that the imposed program rules " perpetuated racial or cultural biases and diminished the value of cultural diversity". Regardless of how much these players played or how long they stayed they have documentation of this in these reports and so is not overblown.
And not only that, but Husch-Blackwell gave Iowa 4 individual accounts of staff members describing allegations pertaining to their behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
I think you're a little off here.. Multiple players that graduated from Iowa and are / were in the NFL were the first ones to draw light on this issue. Some of them were even interviewed by Husch-Blackwell. Those that left the program did so due to the very fact that they were treated poorly and unjustly due to their race.

This case is incredibly different than players alleging the program was "too hard" for them and the fact that you think these racial issues are overblown when there were over 70 players in total that spoke out tells me all I need to know regarding your stance on this matter.

Did you even read the report done? Did you read the stories from former players, current players, and even staff members describing what it was like being a black player in that program?

Sure, I read it. I also understand that this is a period in American when everyone wants to air their grievances, especially when race can be invoked. If the IA FB program was run by a bunch of racists they would not have been there the past 20+ years because they would have lost and all gotten fired. Iowa City is not in the South where underlying racism might be tolerated a bit more. Should they apparently be more sensitive regarding cultural issues of dress, etc.? Sounds like it. In any event, hate away! Seems like good expenditure of time. I will be cheering for both teams to win Sat. We can revisit this topic if this litigation ever gets off the ground and goes somewhere.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyTwins and royalcy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sure, I read it. I also understand that this is a period in American when everyone wants to air their grievances, especially when race can be invoked. If the IA FB program was run by a bunch of racists they would not have been there the past 20+ years because they would have lost and all gotten fired. Iowa City is not in the South where underlying racism might be tolerated a bit more. Should they apparently be a little more sensitive regarding cultural issues of dress, etc.? Sounds like it. In any event, hate away! Seems like good expenditure of time. I will be cheering for both teams to win Sat. We can revisit this topic if this litigation ever gets off the ground and goes somewhere.
This entire post is completely tone deaf lol.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I do not work in Iowa, but am familiar with Parrish. Those guys are acting as "local counsel", which means they are not running the show. I am just saying that this lead plaintiffs' firm from Tulsa will not scare anyone for about 20 different reasons. If the players had an easy case there would be 100 top flight plaintiffs firms lining up down the block to represent them. That is how it works. It is still not a good situation for Iowa for reasons others have stated. But for people saying this is some sort of slam dunk because they don't like Iowa sports, they are simply misinformed.
From my experience on both sides of the table, the high-end plaintiff firms that have a great reputation are generally getting involved for a faster quicker settlement. They are very expensive type firms to feed this type of lawsuit. The firm on the other side of the table that has nothing to lose and everything to gain because they don't have the big office overhead or the big city name is the one that can be a real pain in the ass. The junkyard dog type law firms are the worst in this situation. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Everyone is just speculating, me include. To answer your first question, it is a one man shop out of Tulsa that seems to specialize in race related representations (including personal injury), but I am not finding much of anything on large settlements where he was lead counsel, trials, etc. That is something plaintiffs' attorneys always promote for obvious reasons. Maybe he is extremely humble. To the players benefit, anyone, would be a step up from the Green character that was speaking on their behalf previously.

Mr. Parrish does have a reputation and is good at knowing how to get in the media and get his name out there. Sometimes that benefit is worth taking on a case with some thorns. This one absolutely has $ problems, all these type of cases do, which is why the ones with a lot of merit get snapped up by the most well funded plaintiffs' firms from around the US. Maybe they can go to a litigation funder, but those have steep rates and difficult criteria for approval.

You seem to be suggesting, like many Iowa fans defending this is largely overblown as a racism issue because 1. Iowa is just a really strict and demanding program and 2. People are more sensitive and not as able to handle such a program these days.

As for #1, I know that people that say this don't realize it, but they are essentially saying that the program is really hard on everyone, but apparently white players can handle it and black players can't. If you have 60-70 black players coming out and complaining about the coaches, and no white players complaining, and you are suggesting it's just "sour grapes" due to playing time or "the program is just hard on everyone" you are buying into the belief that white players can handle the tough and disciplined environment, but black players can't.

As for #2, we know this attempt to make it a broader societal issue is idiotic because if it were the case Iowa would've simply been the catalyst for programs around the country to have similar complaints. But of course that didn't happen at all. So this is clearly an Iowa problem.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Why AA players would want to litigate in the State of Iowa against the University of Iowa would be a mystery to me, but I am not in charge here.
636295221777054814-170504-JaneMeyer-441.JPG

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You seem to be suggesting, like many Iowa fans defending this is largely overblown as a racism issue because 1. Iowa is just a really strict and demanding program and 2. People are more sensitive and not as able to handle such a program these days.

As for #1, I know that people that say this don't realize it, but they are essentially saying that the program is really hard on everyone, but apparently white players can handle it and black players can't. If you have 60-70 black players coming out and complaining about the coaches, and no white players complaining, and you are suggesting it's just "sour grapes" due to playing time or "the program is just hard on everyone" you are buying into the belief that white players can handle the tough and disciplined environment, but black players can't.

As for #2, we know this attempt to make it a broader societal issue is idiotic because if it were the case Iowa would've simply been the catalyst for programs around the country to have similar complaints. But of course that didn't happen at all. So this is clearly an Iowa problem.
This mic drop was too much for him to overcome

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
This situation is sad because of what has been happening in Iowa City for a long time...not last year or the year before or 5 years ago. Also what I find sad is how our/your local sport media guys (ALL OF THEM..both sides... tv and radio) are not covering the findings more often and in more detail. They are literally turning the other cheek, yet people are okay with this. I'm not sure how these ***** sleep at night considering the kids affected by caustic mentoring at the university of iowa. They should change their colors from Black and Gold to "White and Fools Gold" in Iowa Sh**y..

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Listened to Unnecessary Roughness this morning, Barstool Sports CFB podcast (I understand some may not like that company), but they were going over the slate this weekend and had something to say in regards to the situation at Iowa..

The host hates Iowa as he's a Mississippi State fan and Iowa fans were sending death threats to him the week leading up to their bowl game against one another. He started going over the Big 10 and each team / fanbases mentality going into their first game, and when bringing up Iowa, him and the co-host started talking about the huge s*** show that is their football program. They mentioned how they would not be surprised whatsoever if this was worse than it already is, that this thing is like an onion, and all it's going to take is a mediocre / down year for their program to implode entirely.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Listened to Unnecessary Roughness this morning, Barstool Sports CFB podcast (I understand some may not like that company), but they were going over the slate this weekend and had something to say in regards to the situation at Iowa..

The host hates Iowa as he's a Mississippi State fan and Iowa fans were sending death threats to him the week leading up to their bowl game against one another. He started going over the Big 10 and each team / fanbases mentality going into their first game, and when bringing up Iowa, him and the co-host started talking about the huge s*** show that is their football program. They mentioned how they would not be surprised whatsoever if this was worse than it already is, that this thing is like an onion, and all it's going to take is a mediocre / down year for their program to implode entirely.

Recent episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.