KJ in Netflix doc Team Foxcatcher

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I hadn't seen this mentioned. Just watched it, pretty much just gives more details about du Pont with a lot of home movie footage. A little creepy, a little sad but captivating. Check it out.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Agree with the original poster, Netflix documentary on Foxcatcher wrestling and John DuPont was well done and interesting as alot of home videos and interviews.

My understanding the differences between the movie and Netflix documentary are twofold. The movie was "based" on Mark Schultz' book, but director took some creative license in creating the movie. To the point that Mark Schultz wasn't really happy with the final product. The Netflix documentary was from Dave Schultz' widows perspective.

Last edited:

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
^^^ good point. In no way did I think a movie "based on a true story" was 100% accurate and did not even mention the movie in my original post. I did however enjoy the movie. 2 brothers from my HS did wrestling choreography for the movie and one of them was actually had a role as a wrestler on the team.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I watched the movie and read the book. I enjoyed both, but thought the book was better and I hate reading books.

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
An interesting fun fact. The original ****** for Foxcatcher was written by heavy weight All American Scott Coleman's brother. Scott Coleman was a 2x AA for ISU after transferring from BYU after the program was dropped. Coleman along with Holker were teammates at BYU and both wrestled under head coach Mark Schultz.

The scrip t was pitched to Hollywood who ended up buying the scrip t and of course when Hollywood owns the scrip t they make changes to what they see best fits = $$$$$ in the theater.

IMO the Netflix documentary was by far the best documented and films about Dave Schultz.