Lag on Mobile makes the site innoperable

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
iPhone 5S with Chrome.
Just switched to Nexus 5X last night. First test run here...and it still gets hung up loading the ads mixed in throughout the threads and bumps the position all around as I try to read and the ads load.
It has been this way for me ever since the site redesign, which I understood to be more mobile-friendly. I never really used the old mobile site, just computer or iPad based, so this wasn't a big issue for me. But, I assumed it would be better than it is.

• Agree
Reactions: kilroy

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i'm looking at the CF forum page I'm on right now and there are ads on the top, ads on the side (one video), and ads on the bottom. my guess is the lag is due to those ads.

call me crazy but as much as sites like reddit and others are out of date, they don't have ads and the interface never seems to lag because there are no random ads and boxes everywhere. what are the chances of having the regular site look like the current one but the forum link to just words and no pictures?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
i'm looking at the CF forum page I'm on right now and there are ads on the top, ads on the side (one video), and ads on the bottom. my guess is the lag is due to those ads.

call me crazy but as much as sites like reddit and others are out of date, they don't have ads and the interface never seems to lag because there are no random ads and boxes everywhere. what are the chances of having the regular site look like the current one but the forum link to just words and no pictures?

CW has to eat. I'm not asking for no ads, just ads that don't interfere with being able to use the site.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don't mind adds and think this site is a great value to me, so with that I am willing to sift through some adds to keep it free. I want the guys at CF to do well because they are top notch at what they do.

I like everything you have going on here besides the lag issue on mobile. Get this worked through and IMO there is no need for a premium site/subscription type deal with no adds. Just don't let the adds interfere with the experience.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Good news is that once the season is over, my plan is to roll out an ad-free/subscription type of option for the site. All content will still be free for everyone but if you don't want ads, a pay option that will also include a premium forum and some other goodies.

Trust me: Nobody hates putting ads on here more than me. The state of the digital advertising world is at an all-time low. Our revenue has been more than cut in half as far as CPMs go and everybody wants a damn video anymore.

It's brutal out here.

My apologies for the issues and I appreciate your patience. Just emailed our developer and ad manager about this.

I don't understand this. If a video starts playing on a website and I didn't click play I close the tab. Why do advertisers want this?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Samsung S6 using Chrome. Basically same complaints as above... lags pretty bad. The thing that was driving me crazy the last few days is every time that I would load a forum discussion, I'd get about 10-30 seconds into reading it and then it would drop me all of the way to the bottom of the page to a Trivago add. I would then have to scroll back to the top and find the last post that I had read to continue.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: JBone84 and Acylum

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I hate hearing premium forum CW, that makes me nervous, the whole reason I love your site is there is no PREMIUM forum (aka premium info regardless of claims otherwise).
CW, I really dont mind the ads, you gotta make your money dude I understand, but figure out a way.....

Could not agree more.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Just don't let the adds interfere with the experience.

I'm pretty confident they, more than anyone, would LOVE that to be the case. I'd imagine it's easier said than done.

I wonder what they think hearing of so many users using adblock software. I mean, hard to blame us since it's basically unusable on mobile without it, but at the same time, it directly affects their bottom line. (I assume, anyway. Not sure exactly how ad revenue works)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What are you guys using?

I'm on an iPhone 6s, am on mobile all of the time and never have problems. Like, ever.

Are you on Androids? Give me as many specifics as possible and I will continue to iron this out. We made some changes a few months ago and the complaints went away. Apparently something sneaking back and causing problems though.

I wouldnt say this is something that has snuck back for me, as an android user. I think people have just brought it up more lately for whatever reason but its been there solidly since the redesign. Im on an s7 edge, use mostly chrome browser, and ive seen it a lot. Lots of lag, and sometimes the page will just completely freeze.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dshindy and kilroy

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Some how premium forum news bring to thought the whole Iowa High School Athletic Associations sale of viewing right of our beloved boys high school sports......

Thats turning out well in a PR way, just saying....

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I
I wonder what they think hearing of so many users using adblock software. I mean, hard to blame us since it's basically unusable on mobile without it, but at the same time, it directly affects their bottom line. (I assume, anyway. Not sure exactly how ad revenue works)

Yeah, its definitely a hard balance to have to strike. No one wants to take away revenue from a site they want to support, but too often that gets abused by ads that autoplay video (with bandwidth caps that **** costs money now) or have redirects, or just in general load enough poor code that performance of the site suffers.

I'm not sure how to feel about a premium offering. On one hand its an alternative to advertising, on the other i thought i remembered that being one of the 'day 1' promises of CF, that it'd never go that direction, so thats probably going to rile some people up.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Subscription to not have ads isn't the same as a premium forum.

That's likely what this will be. Pay to not see ads. Plus a cool event and maybe shirt or something for "subscribers."

You guys are overblowing the premium forum thing. We are a public golf course where members drink Busch Light and eat cheese balls. Not a country club. None of that will change.

But back int he day, we'd get a 2.00 CPM for a 300x250 ad. Now we are getting 13 cents. Do the math. How things are right now is not sustainable with the invention of ad block and the changing landscape of digital advertising.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
That's likely what this will be. Pay to not see ads. Plus a cool event and maybe shirt or something for "subscribers."

You guys are overblowing the premium forum thing. We are a public golf course where members drink Busch Light and eat cheese balls. Not a country club. None of that will change.

But back int he day, we'd get a 2.00 CPM for a 300x250 ad. Now we are getting 13 cents. Do the math. How things are right now is not sustainable with the invention of ad block and the changing landscape of digital advertising.

Change the "likely" to "ALL IT WILL BE" and no worries.

We are overblowing it because we love yah! and it means a lot to most of us. Were mad cause we care.

Sorry for the cut in prices, and Ill reiterate again, I dont care if the damn site is bordered completely in ads, just figure a way to make em come in quick, not jump our screen up down, and affect the loading/typing.

Thanks for hearing us.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The only issue I have on mobile is redirects and it only happens with CF. Both in Safari and Chrome. It hasn't happened lately, but it seems to be a monthly issue and can last for a few days.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
I have had this issue since the redesign on both mobile and desktop. I always get a network error message. I have been frequenting this site a lot less because of this issue.

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.