Lawn care companies - Ankeny area

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
We've been using A-Plus for a long time, but I don't feel like my yard is looking that great the last couple of years, and they just keep getting more expensive (yeah, I know, along with everything else). I was curious if anyone has any recommendations. I'd prefer smaller, local-type place, if possible.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

This is who I use. My .250 acre lot was $350 for 4 or 5 applications.

Reactions: NWICY

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
A+ is a horrible company from the top to the bottom. Their employees are trash. They do a terrible job. They don’t care.

Reactions: CyCrazy

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Spring Green is good. They do quality work. They’re not going to be cheaper than A+, but you’ll be happier with your lawn. I know they service the Ames area and Clive area.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have been working really hard to improve my lawn, but I think the biggest issue is the lack of rain the past few years. I don't water so I am sure that doesn't help. I have seeded, fertilized, applied weed control and still feel I have a sub par lawn. I'm hoping for a wetter year to try to help my lawn. I moved into my new house in November 2020 and every year has been dry since then and no matter how hard I try, the yard isn't great.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I Live in Ankeny

After using both A plus and True Green over the last 11 years, I'm now doing it myself through the Earl May program, and I won't go back. This isn't an Earl May commercial (I just buy it through them)

Its not much cheaper (about the same price), and you have to spend the time to do it, but I've found that having ultimate control over WHEN I apply is a huge benefit that has done wonders for my yard. Especially with how dry its been, matching up an application to a pre rain event seems to have been really positive.

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I've found that having ultimate control over WHEN I apply is a huge benefit that has done wonders for my yard. Especially with how dry its been, matching up an application to a pre rain event seems to have been really positive.
This. Also being an agronomist doesn't hurt. I've watched a lot of lawn services work the neighbor's yards over the years. Timing and serendipity are big factors even with a good lawn service.