Les Miles Done For?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would imagine his days are numbered if they think they can fire him without having to pay anything but I am sure they want to be careful because last time they tried to to fire with cause they didn't have their ducks in a row and it still cost them money.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I would imagine his days are numbered if they think they can fire him without having to pay anything but I am sure they want to be careful because last time they tried to to fire with cause they didn't have their ducks in a row and it still cost them money.

Not only that but it's not like it's a top program. Guessing during the covid times they are not thrilled to fire a coach and hire a new guy for a program that is going nowhere. It's not like it's a team that has a good set up for a new coach to come in and succeed.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not only that but his Orange bowl season he got really lucky and avoided most of the top teams. He tried to mess up CRP and take over the head coach job eventually. I thought he was the best hire Paul made and it turned out to be the worst hire made.

Yeah, I was pretty excited by the Mangino hire, too.

I figured Mangino wanted a head coaching job again but, hey, if he was good enough to draw attention for ones, that must have meant our offense was cooking for the first time in the Rhoads era, right?

A Mangino offense with a Rhoads/Wally defense sounded pretty attractive.

My oh my how badly that whole experiment went.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I thought I heard on one of the podcasts that Mangino was basically trying to sabotage Rhoads and step in as the new head coach.

I thought the same thing after the TX Tech game. When you average 10+ yards per carry and you get beat by 35 points there is something seriously wrong.

That said it seemed like Paul had a knack for suppressing a lot of good offensive knowledge.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I thought the same thing after the TX Tech game. When you average 10+ yards per carry and you get beat by 35 points there is something seriously wrong.

That said it seemed like Paul had a knack for suppressing a lot of good offensive knowledge.

CW and Blum talk about it on their 10/25/20 podcast. At about 73:20 is when they talk about Mangino taking the job to get Rhoads fired. It's not a long discussion, but it's out there.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think the biggest surprise about Mangino is that he is still alive. He has to be one of the top 5 unhealthiest football coaches ever. Not sure how you can go to work every day, which basically has a gym, personal training, and food and still not be able to sustain a decent diet and keep your weight semi under control.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
McDermott statements were very insensitive and pretty alarming. Not sure what would prompt a person to say that to a group of young men, many black. I don't think Creighton had any option but to issue some type of punishment and a suspension would make sense. My guess is he will also have to do some type of sensitivity training. Only way I think he gets fired is if there is a history of such statements/actions.

The Les Miles actions are creepy. A 60 year old University employee trolling 20 year old women. I would be curious if this is the first KU is hearing of these allegations. This is the shady side of employment hiring where former employers can be less than forthcoming about a former employees bad behavior for legal reasons.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Evwm-ZTWEAMlYTX

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
To be cynical it's a good way for them to get out of that contract with him.

I always thought Miles was brought in to bring stability and legitimacy to the program given his previous experience. I never viewed him as someone who would get them very far, maybe a 6 win season or two. I always thought he was a stepping stone to a coach that would get them to low level bowl games after at least getting a couple wins a season.

From a program standpoint, this puts KU in an even worse situation. As Miles didn’t get them any closer to where they needed to be for a new coach. They’ll get another position coach again like the guy before Miles.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I always thought Miles was brought in to bring stability and legitimacy to the program given his previous experience. I never viewed him as someone who would get them very far, maybe a 6 win season or two. I always thought he was a stepping stone to a coach that would get them to low level bowl games after at least getting a couple wins a season.

From a program standpoint, this puts KU in an even worse situation. As Miles didn’t get them any closer to where they needed to be for a new coach. They’ll get another position coach again like the guy before Miles.
They should have hired someone like Troy Calhoun. Would have been a solid and safe pick.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
This feels like the perfect way to get out of a bad hire, Les looks like a handsy old creep with everything coming out. Cut ties, and move on.

I never understood the hire, they need to be looking for someone young and full of Red Bull. They need a HC willing to work 10x as hard to get mediocre recruits. An over the hill has been isn’t going to move the needle at a program like that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron