Les Miles Done For?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They should have hired someone like Troy Calhoun. Would have been a solid and safe pick.

Almost impossible to know who was interested. I would assume most coaches would pass at this point. KU was probably able to hire Miles because he was unemployed and wanted to coach again; and no one was breaking down his door to hire him.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Almost impossible to know who was interested. I would assume most coaches would pass at this point. KU was probably able to hire Miles because he was unemployed and wanted to coach again; and no one was breaking down his door to hire him.

you should read about how the AD pushed out Beatty (who also sucked) to get Miles. Jeff Ling should be fired too.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
you should read about how the AD pushed out Beatty (who also sucked) to get Miles. Jeff Ling should be fired too.

Could you link please? I’d very much like to read it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This feels like the perfect way to get out of a bad hire, Les looks like a handsy old creep with everything coming out. Cut ties, and move on.

I never understood the hire, they need to be looking for someone young and full of Red Bull. They need a HC willing to work 10x as hard to get mediocre recruits. An over the hill has been isn’t going to move the needle at a program like that.
Miles and the AD at KU were friends, bringing Miles on at KU allowed the AD to show everyone that he could bring in a coach that had won a national championship and that the job was very desirable. Gets the fan base fired up, more money starts to flow into the program and its a win/win for everyone.

The problem is, Miles is just not a quality coach, stubborn to any kind of change, and was struggling to beat Alabama with unbelievable talent year after year at LSU. The game changed and Miles refuse to adapt to the change, unlike Saban who endorsed the idea that offense and a great quarterback was the way to win football games in this decade.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Go2Guy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Could you link please? I’d very much like to read it.
"What’s happened also speaks to the judgment of Long, who fired David Beaty to hire his longtime friend and make a splash and a statement.

It has, but not the way anyone who cares about the program and the school might have hoped.

Assuming Long indeed previously knew nothing about the allegations at LSU, he must be disappointed that Miles didn’t think this was pertinent information to share given their relationship and the potential ramifications.

Instead, we have to wonder in what ways Long truly vetted the hire, with whom he spoke before offering Miles the job, and how in-depth his interviews were with Miles.

And we have to wonder to what degree Long should be trusted with another hire after he missed on this one with a man who hadn’t coached for several years … and in the process became mired in what proved an absurd attempt to get out of paying Beaty the $3 million buyout he was due (by ultimately reaching a settlement for $2.55 million)."

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"Today we have suspended Coach Miles for as long as it takes our lawyers to determine if we can fire his crazy ass for cause and avoid paying yet another buyout. "
Yup, but lawyers always find a way to redefine, "for cause". Miles' attorneys will have a spin. Just like I felt ISU had for cause to fire a coach, but ended up, "settling" the case for $900K

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yup, but lawyers always find a way to redefine, "for cause". Miles' attorneys will have a spin. Just like I felt ISU had for cause to fire a coach, but ended up, "settling" the case for $900K
Many, many good cases are settled out of court all across the legal system to save time and money and to mitigate risk. If you can spend $1,000 to save $500 in legal fees, get it over in 1 month instead of 12 months and remove that 30% chance that you will have to pay $5,000 instead the math might make sense.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Read the summary the Athletic had on this. Nicole Auerbach thinks he’s done for, it’s just a matter of how KU goes about doing it. I.e. forced resignation or firing with cause.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Read the summary the Athletic had on this. Nicole Auerbach thinks he’s done for, it’s just a matter of how KU goes about doing it. I.e. forced resignation or firing with cause.
Didn't read the Athletic but he's done for.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Fun facts...Kansas athletic budget is $18M a year more than ISU's. They have one more women's sport than ISU...rowing. Their basketball budget is enormous, but generates (in a normal year), $6M in profit (notwithstanding additional Adidas payments). Their football team nearly doubled ticket sales in 2019 (Les Miles) to almost $5M in total. ISU ticket sales was nearly $12M. So basically, the basketball team keeps the football team afloat...they just have to put 11 bodies on the field to keep the TV revenue rolling in.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Ok - I don't ever remember a coach's current employer doing something like this because of the coach's past actions at a previous place of employment.
KU I assume has good lawyers who have looked this over?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku just settled with the last coach. Now, they're facing another settlement. This time in a Covid year. An accountant's nightmare.

But I'll bet they settle rather than go to court unless the employment contract stipulated something that Les did not divulge.

Les was given the run from Michigan for screwing around with another assistant's wife. This seems to be part of his lifestyle. Cuomo in cleats.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ok - I don't ever remember a coach's current employer doing something like this because of the coach's past actions at a previous place of employment.
KU I assume has good lawyers who have looked this over?
It probably depends on if they asked him questions about any previous issues or allegations and he didn't disclose them.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ku just settled with the last coach. Now, they're facing another settlement. This time in a Covid year. An accountant's nightmare.

But I'll bet they settle rather than go to court unless the employment contract stipulated something that Les did not divulge.

Les was given the run from Michigan for screwing around with another assistant's wife. This seems to be part of his lifestyle. Cuomo in cleats.

Huck huck huck hey Monica.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My bet is if KU took a look at it's Athletic Department intern program at KU they would find some distressing issues. A predator like Miles doesn't change his stripes.

No way KU can keep Miles and seems like Long shouldn't be far behind.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I haven't kept up on all the new info but doesn't it stem from an already known issue that should have been properly vetted before you hire him? If Miles is gone, AD should be gone because someone overlooked this when they hired him.

Reactions: jsb