Madison Wise's coach fired for being "too mean"

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow. Doug Laker is the winningest coach in Greenfield-Central history - also Indiana's State Coach of the Year in 2016.

"After eight seasons of progressive success and numerous positive year-end evaluations, Laker emphasized, the administration changed it’s mind. Their reasoning, the head coach said, was he was “too mean” to his players this year.

"First, he didn’t wear enough Greenfield-Central apparel. Second, the administration has been informed he told his players “you can’t be JV your whole life, you have to make a play in the 7:30 (varsity) game.
"The third, parents alerted the administration that Laker used what Manning and Bryant allegedly called degrading language when the head coach expressed to his players, they shouldn’t “p— yourself when someone gets into you” on the court."

Bill Fennelly is also quoted in the article defending coach Laker. So are Madison Wise and her parents. This sounds like another Nebraska/Yori situation...

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/2017/04/06/change_at_the_helm/

• Winner
Reactions: Jnecker4cy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
wow. just.. wow. What a bunch pricks. I hope the girls who complained to their parents continually piss themselves when someone gets into them on the court, and they never see the floor of the 7:30 game.
Damn, that's harsh.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Doubt that this is over. Some G-C girls' basketball parents have got a huge petition going. WNBA coaches, NCAA coaches, ex-players coming to his defense.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Damn, that's harsh.
If an athlete is complaining to their parents about that being said to them, they have no reason playing high school athletics. I mean, no vulgar words, no manipulation or harassment, just the truth (whether the girls thought so or not). My coach used to call our team ******* worthless and walked out on us while we ran sprints non-stop until he got back, but that was part of it and didn't think anything of it. And I've heard way worse stories going back in years, so I am not claiming to be a survivor of brutality or anything, just saying.

This man just lost his job, that it sounds like he was pretty damn good at, because he wasn't "nice enough". In a day-in-age where Participation trophies are the norm and racial law-suits can be filed because a coach is hard on you, I am sick of it. But I may be in the minority. Sorry if that is "harsh"

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If an athlete is complaining to their parents about that being said to them, they have no reason playing high school athletics. I mean, no vulgar words, no manipulation or harassment, just the truth (whether the girls thought so or not). My coach used to call our team ******* worthless and walked out on us while we ran sprints non-stop until he got back, but that was part of it and didn't think anything of it. And I've heard way worse stories going back in years, so I am not claiming to be a survivor of brutality or anything, just saying.

This man just lost his job, that it sounds like he was pretty damn good at, because he wasn't "nice enough". In a day-in-age where Participation trophies are the norm and racial law-suits can be filed because a coach is hard on you, I am sick of it. But I may be in the minority. Sorry if that is "harsh"
Sorry, I was joking because "pissing themselves when someone gets into them on the court and not seeing the floor of the 7:30 game" sounds like the equivalent of not being able to find a spoon after you've already poured a bowl of cereal.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Sorry, I was joking because "pissing themselves when someone gets into them on the court and not seeing the floor of the 7:30 game" sounds like the equivalent of not being able to find a spoon after you've already poured a bowl of cereal.
Whoops, sorry for the tangent then :D

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Does anyone else remember when a certain Ames High boys basketball coach was sent packing for being a meanie?

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
If this guy was too mean, my college coach never would've coached again in his life if the same standards were held.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Time to make lemonade out of lemons BF should bring him on staff and use him to recruit from Indiana on east. (Full disclosure no idea if this is a good idea but thought I'd throw it out.)

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

srjclone doesn't realize that you're the most sarcastic poster on this board by a wide margin. You're great, keep it up.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I've seen Greenfield Central play several times each of the last several years. I have never seen Coach Laker get in a girls face or do anything out of line during any of those games. You can typically tell when a team does not like their coach, but I have never got that feeling from Greenfield Central. In fact, they always appeared to be a very close team. I could, however, see where his personality may not always mesh with parents or administrators.

That being said, Greenfield Central had a very disappointing year this year. They were expected to challenge for a state title. They returned two D1 players (Wise and their PG who is going to Ball St) and had lots of young players who were viewed as very talented players. Things did not go as planned however. The PG injured her knee during fall soccer and missed much of the season. When she returned, she was very limited. In the 5 games I watched this year, the younger players really struggled. It at times looked like Greenfield was playing 1 on 5. I'm sure there was a lot of disappointment. In the end, Greenfield was upset in the sectional by rival no one expected could beat them. I'm sure it was a very emotional year for them.

Madison Wise is the real deal. I think she will be a great Cyclone.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
8815789f65377be5445c15976a072845.jpg

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I've seen Greenfield Central play several times each of the last several years. I have never seen Coach Laker get in a girls face or do anything out of line during any of those games. You can typically tell when a team does not like their coach, but I have never got that feeling from Greenfield Central. In fact, they always appeared to be a very close team. I could, however, see where his personality may not always mesh with parents or administrators.

That being said, Greenfield Central had a very disappointing year this year. They were expected to challenge for a state title. They returned two D1 players (Wise and their PG who is going to Ball St) and had lots of young players who were viewed as very talented players. Things did not go as planned however. The PG injured her knee during fall soccer and missed much of the season. When she returned, she was very limited. In the 5 games I watched this year, the younger players really struggled. It at times looked like Greenfield was playing 1 on 5. I'm sure there was a lot of disappointment. In the end, Greenfield was upset in the sectional by rival no one expected could beat them. I'm sure it was a very emotional year for them.

Madison Wise is the real deal. I think she will be a great Cyclone.
There's the problem, they let one of the girls play soccer...

(Here comes the hate!!!)

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and ISU71

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron