Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Thor: Ragnarok is featured on the cover of Entertainment Weekly
fkrl6xfqalutbzcvujpf.jpg

View attachment 46880 View attachment 46881

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thor: Ragnarok is featured on the cover of Entertainment Weekly
fkrl6xfqalutbzcvujpf.jpg

View attachment 46880 View attachment 46881

Wowsers, covers are usually like whatever for me, but SHORT HAIR THOR????? Didn't see that coming. Also, cool to see him rocking some new sabres as I've heard that he will duke it out with Hulk at some point and for whatever reason, he won't have mjolnir in that fight.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Wowsers, covers are usually like whatever for me, but SHORT HAIR THOR????? Didn't see that coming. Also, cool to see him rocking some new sabres as I've heard that he will duke it out with Hulk at some point and for whatever reason, he won't have mjolnir in that fight.

I cant remember, is this basically replacing the planet hulk storyline somewhat? Or absorbing its ideas?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I cant remember, is this basically replacing the planet hulk storyline somewhat? Or absorbing its ideas?

Word is that it is pretty much Marvel Studios doing somewhat of a hybrid blend between the Planet Hulk story line and the Ragnarok story line.

Reactions: bos

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I think "adapting" is a more accurate term. Hulk is confirmed and his armor from Planet Hulk made an appearance at one of the comic conventions last year. There was also an extra on the Doctor Strange disc that shows some rough animation of Hulk in armor fighting Thor in some kind of Battle Arena.

dNNpPeR.png

QGeKNJE.png

• Agree
Reactions: bos and Triggermv

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Will be curious to see how he gets there then, considering the PH storyline is much different in terms of his transportation.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Will be curious to see how he gets there then, considering the PH storyline is much different in terms of his transportation.

Doctor Strange is also confirmed as appearing in Thor: Ragnarok and he makes the most sense to get Thor (who is stranded on Earth) back to Asgard or one of the other realms. Doctor Strange will most likely bring the Eye of Agamotto/ Time Stone along for the ride and bring it one step closer to Thanos.

Reactions: bos

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I believe Goldblum is supposed to be the brother to The Collector from Guardians of the Galaxy (Benecio Del Toro's character) so maybe the colors emphasize how different he is. I'm sure Goldblum is going to own every scene he's in, so a visually-loud costume makes sense.

I can't help but immediately think that this is Marvel trying to take away the color palette from Suicide Squad. Much of the early-success for Suicide Squad was due to the marketing and use of vibrant colors in the posters and after-effects graphics in the trailers. I think this could be a good thing, as Thor: The Dark World, as the title indicates, was a rather muted film from a costume perspective where everything felt kind of drab. In some cases it's hard to make out details of fight scenes because of how dark & grey everything was. It's almost hard to re-watch Thor: The Dark World during the day because any ambient light in the room washes out certain scenes - you almost need a perfectly dark room in order to see everything.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I believe Goldblum is supposed to be the brother to The Collector from Guardians of the Galaxy (Benecio Del Toro's character) so maybe the colors emphasize how different he is. I'm sure Goldblum is going to own every scene he's in, so a visually-loud costume makes sense.

I can't help but immediately think that this is Marvel trying to take away the color palette from Suicide Squad. Much of the early-success for Suicide Squad was due to the marketing and use of vibrant colors in the posters and after-effects graphics in the trailers. I think this could be a good thing, as Thor: The Dark World, as the title indicates, was a rather muted film from a costume perspective where everything felt kind of drab. In some cases it's hard to make out details of fight scenes because of how dark & grey everything was. It's almost hard to re-watch Thor: The Dark World during the day because any ambient light in the room washes out certain scenes - you almost need a perfectly dark room in order to see everything.

Taika Waititi has already talked about the look and feel they are going for with this film, which is an 80s hard metal one, and it was all prior to what Suicide Squad ended up doing from a color perspective in their final cut. In fact, David Ayer's Suicide Squad was never meant to look and feel like we got until after the tremendous success of that one particular trailer led to the Studio intervening and bringing in that trailer creation team to help cut the final movie, which in hindsight, was probably a major mistake. The original look was much more gritty and grungy. With that said, that Suicide Squad color palette was a very last-minute change-up prior to Thor:Ragnarok's direction. Back to Ragnarok, that 80s hard metal look was initially established to the audience way back when their original logo was released, and they've kept to that same tone with everything released subsequently. I call it almost kind of a He-Man look:

RAGNAROK.jpg

ew1457-58cvr_promo2.jpg

I'll actually be the first to admit that I hated the original logo, but this entire look has grown on me with everything that has been released since, particularly this Entertainment Weekly cover, which looks amazing. On a side note, regardless of what anyone thinks of the quality of the Thor movies, I think we can ALL agree that Chris Hemsworth was MADE to be Thor. That dude is amazing and his new look here looks pretty BA.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Getting bad vibes from this new Thor movie. Seems like they are trying to have a Guardians look but I can't imagine the dynamic will be as effective.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Getting bad vibes from this new Thor movie. Seems like they are trying to have a Guardians look but I can't imagine the dynamic will be as effective.

Right now I'm just putting my faith in Taika Waititi that he knows what he is doing. If anything, what worries me most is how much comedy they are trying to infiltrate into it. Don't get me wrong, I like a laugh here and there, but I just don't want them to go overboard with it.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Article from EW with the plot synopsis for Thor: Ragnarok

http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/09/thor-ragnarok-plot-reveal/

When we last saw Thor, he was flying off to figure out who was manipulating the Avengers at the end of Age of Ultron. Eventually, he hears rumblings of trouble in Asgard: His evil brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), has been impersonating their missing father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Loki’s rather lax governing leads to the reemergence of an imprisoned Hela (Cate Blanchett). Thor’s initial encounter with Hela gets him blasted to Sakaar, a barbaric planet ruled by the charming but nefarious Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum). Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), a tough, hard-drinking warrior hiding out on Sakaar brings the god to the Grandmaster.
Thor is then forced into becoming a gladiator, which leads to his haircut and the loss of his trusty hammer.
Sakaar’s most popular and successful gladiator? Bruce Banner, a.k.a. the Hulk.
Once Thor and Hulk unite, Ragnarok becomes a sort of road-trip film, with director Taika Waititi drawing inspiration from movies like 48 HRS., Withnail and I, and even Planes, Trains and Automobiles. The director particularly wanted to show off Hemsworth’s comedic abilities, only recently exploited in films like Vacation and Ghostbusters.
Fans will also see some familiar faces, like Benedict Cumberbatch’s Stephen Strange. The New York-based sorcerer met with Thor in the post-credits epilogue of Doctor Strange, and he will help the Asgardian locate Odin.
The events of Ragnarok will also help set up Marvel’s biggest Phase 3 installment, Avengers: Infinity War, the first half of which is due in May 2018. But Waititi is adamant that his film will not only stand on its own, it will reinvent the franchise.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If he uses sly comedy like he did on his Wilderpeople movie it should be fine. If it goes all out for laughs, Ill lose interest.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv