• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
To me, the only interesting part of venom was his fuse with Spiderman. Aside from that, exit stage left.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I was thinking Venom made perfect sense for the stand-alone "Spidey-verse" because the MCU has already set the precedent of aliens invading Earth. Having an anti-hero like Venom appear for a movie and then have Venom and Spider-Man join forces to fight Carnage in a future movie would have been really interesting. Villains like Carnage and Hobgoblin really interest me in Spider-Man because of how chaotic they are. They don't have a backstory, at least initially, and it doesn't really matter - they just cause destruction and mess around with Spider-Man similar to The Joker in Batman.

As for Silver Sable and Black Cat - that sounds terrible as a team-up movie and I don't think it has an audience. BUT, add a reimagined Spider-Gwen to the mix and you may have something there.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was thinking Venom made perfect sense for the stand-alone "Spidey-verse" because the MCU has already set the precedent of aliens invading Earth. Having an anti-hero like Venom appear for a movie and then have Venom and Spider-Man join forces to fight Carnage in a future movie would have been really interesting. Villains like Carnage and Hobgoblin really interest me in Spider-Man because of how chaotic they are. They don't have a backstory, at least initially, and it doesn't really matter - they just cause destruction and mess around with Spider-Man similar to The Joker in Batman.

As for Silver Sable and Black Cat - that sounds terrible as a team-up movie and I don't think it has an audience. BUT, add a reimagined Spider-Gwen to the mix and you may have something there.

I get where you are coming from there. However, you are saying Venom "made perfect sense for the stand-alone "Spidey-verse"", yet then you talk about having him battle Spidey and talk about the Alien precedent. So, the way you talk about it doesn't sound so stand-alone. With that said, do you still like it if we not only take it away from what the MCU has set as precedent, but if we also take Spidey out of the entire equation???

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I get where you are coming from there. However, you are saying Venom "made perfect sense for the stand-alone "Spidey-verse"", yet then you talk about having him battle Spidey and talk about the Alien precedent. So, the way you talk about it doesn't sound so stand-alone. With that said, do you still like it if we not only take it away from what the MCU has set as precedent, but if we also take Spidey out of the entire equation???

The Tom Holland version of Spider-Man is still a part of Sony and has the freedom to pass between the MCU and this standalone "Spidey-Verse." I think these Spider-verse movies are going to be treated similarly to how the Netflix Marvel shows acknowledge the MCU. These standalone Sony films need to make nods to Spider-Man, but not only that, they can also make nods to the MCU films that Spider-Man is involved in - such as Infinity War. I could see a scenario that the Venom symbiote traces back to a planet/dimension that maybe ties loosely to one of the planets/dimensions that appears briefly in Infinity War, similar to how K'un-Lun in Iron Fist is somewhat more believable since Kamar-Taj was introduced in Doctor Strange, despite never outright connecting the two.

We know that Marvel & Sony are going to get their moneys worth with Spider-Man. I'm sure there is some kind of deal in place that Spider-Man needs to tie back in with these Sony films, but maybe he can't be a starring character - which is why a film where he splits time with an anti-hero like Venom would make sense. That's at least my thought - I haven't read anything one way to verify that this will be the case.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
vvv0nxtfzk5dqegkvwck.jpg

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I don't understand all of the hate towards Iron Fist. We watched about 6 episodes this weekend and thought it was pretty good. It's not the best thing that Marvel has put out, but not terrible or unwatchable.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't understand all of the hate towards Iron Fist. We watched about 6 episodes this weekend and thought it was pretty good. It's not the best thing that Marvel has put out, but not terrible or unwatchable.
No it isn't terrible or unwatchable. It just isn't on the same level as all the other Netflix Marvel series. Definitely still a good watch.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
No it isn't terrible or unwatchable. It just isn't on the same level as all the other Netflix Marvel series. Definitely still a good watch.

Haven't watched any of it yet, but I'll be interested to see what I think as compared to Luke Cage. Again, I'm amazed at how much the critics mostly loved Luke Cage because I thought the first half of the season was pretty decent, but I thought the second half was garbage. Therefore, I'm going to compare Iron Fist to the second half of Luke Cage. Something in me doesn't think it will be that bad. I guess we'll see.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...r-sonys-own-marvel-cinematic-universe-a149950

Well, it seems like recent word is that Sony's new Venom movie will NOT be connected to the MCU or Spider-Man of the MCU in any way, will be rated R, and will kick a new Sony Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well, this will be interesting, but I can't say I'm surprised. For one, Sony has lately been struggling hardcore to develop sustainable franchises as compared to their competitors, especially after their new crack at Ghostbusters bombed. Secondly, Sony is struggling fairly hardcore financially, so they are going to squeeze as much money as possible out of every franchise they own rights to. In fact, they are trying to sell out.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...r-sonys-own-marvel-cinematic-universe-a149950

Well, it seems like recent word is that Sony's new Venom movie will NOT be connected to the MCU or Spider-Man of the MCU in any way, will be rated R, and will kick a new Sony Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well, this will be interesting, but I can't say I'm surprised. For one, Sony has lately been struggling hardcore to develop sustainable franchises as compared to their competitors, especially after their new crack at Ghostbusters bombed. Secondly, Sony is struggling fairly hardcore financially, so they are going to squeeze as much money as possible out of every franchise they own rights to. In fact, they are trying to sell out.

giphy.gif

I'm just guessing that, with Sony's track record, it might not work out.

Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Here is a little bit of plot of Spider-Man: Homecoming:

...Toomes (Michael Keaton) runs a salvaging company (like a vulture!) that cleans up after superhero battles. The Vulture turns villain when a new government-funded cleanup crew spearheaded by Tony Stark—which sounds like it could have something to do with Damage Control from the comics, a team with a similar premise—steps in to scuttle his small business. Toomes’ henchmen, The Shocker and The Tinkerer, sell scavenged alien technology to criminals in the fallout.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/there-might-be-life-in-the-live-action-akira-remake-jus-1793692371

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Thanks for posting. However, is anyone like me where they avoid these plot details like the plague?? Ultimately, I always battle my anticipation trying to get the best of me in wanting to learn as much as possible before a movie. However, in the end, I always enjoy a movie most knowing the absolutely least amount possible, therefore, I at least abstain from these. I'm sure there are others that just don't care and read everything, and still enjoy everything equally. I guess to each their own.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The new Spider-Man Homecoming trailer finally just dropped for anyone interested:

Everything about this looks like a Marvel movie - and that's great! I think Sony made the right choice and will gladly reap their share of profits when this becomes one of the highest grossing MCU films of all-time.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've been working on some products for Homecoming. Super excited about the movie and think it has top 3 MCU potential depending on tastes...without saying anything negative about any parties it's just natural that the more top dogs who have to sign off on something the more slow and difficult it can become to execute key phases. Same has happened to me on every project when more than one company has approval process regardless of studio or licensor.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/

Great article talking about Tom Holland's Spidey contract. It sounds like his current contract has him appearing in 3 Spidey movies, as well as 2 appearances in other movies. Therefore, his 2 "other" appearances are obviously the two MCU Infinity War movies. However, on the solo end, it sounds like he is only guaranteed so far to appear in two MCU films right now (Spiderman: Homecoming being one of them, and a sequel as the other), with the 3rd one still being up in the air. With that said, it will be interesting to see how Spider-Man: Homecoming turns out. I have a hard time believing it won't be at least decent. Therefore, I really hope that continued deals can be struck to keep Spider-Man in the MCU for as long as possible. Ultimately, with many of the aging MCU cast likely to get either minimized or killed off soon in Infinity Wars due to either plot direction or simply contracts ending, the MCU is going to really need some strong replacements moving forward, and I think this Spidey is maybe the strongest candidate to do that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron