Matt Blair passes away

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Had the opportunity to meet Matt and his family when he was on his recruiting trip to ISU. I was in the State Gym working out when his dad asked me where the football office was (they were going to meet Matt and Coach Majors there). Took them over there and talked to Matt, his dad, mom, and coach Majors. Nice folks and family. Matt always said hi when we met after that. Didn't realize at the time what an important role I was playing in recruiting.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Oh crap.

I remember one Spring game somewhere around ‘90, glancing over and realizing that the guy sitting a few feet away from me was Matt Blair. It was a few years after he’d retired, but in a tank top and shorts, Matt looked like he could still go down on the field and kick some ***.

Reactions: t-noah

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
What an awesome talent. Majors and Sherrill did a great job of utilizing his multiple skills by moving him all around in the defensive scheme. He could have been a star at all 3 levels of the defense. He was not only a great LB, but could have also dominated at DE and SS.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Way too early. RIP Matt. One of the best to ever wear a Cyclone jersey.
I knew Matt fairly well. I played basketball with him very frequently. He moved into my apartment on Welch Ave when I graduated.
I went to Cyclone FB games for 51 years (up until this year) and I think he is the best player to play at ISU during those years. Great guy, great athlete. Doubt any Cyclone can match his pro accomplishments either. RIP Matt.