Maurice Gray commits to Oklahoma St.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think our time will come when we win 8 games and go to a bowl. And maybe some of these kids want no competition.

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
when you are talking about a 4 star juco vs. a 3 star hs kid, i will take the high schooler everytime

Yeah, who needs players like Seneca Wallace, Alvin Bowen, Tim Dobbins, Lamarcus Aldridge etc. High schooler, every time!:confused:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And how many of those guys actually pan out compared to the number we bring in?

I don't think JUCOs need to be ignored and there is a time to get them, but every time JUCOs are mentioned - those names get tossed about.

I rarely see the slew of names of JUCOs that ended up being duds for us or worse - never making it to class.

Regardless, would've been nice to land this guy.

paysclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 3, 2006
Im sure boone pickens was in contact with him anyway.......he was too expensive for us

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
And how many of those guys actually pan out compared to the number we bring in?

I don't think JUCOs need to be ignored and there is a time to get them, but every time JUCOs are mentioned - those names get tossed about.

I rarely see the slew of names of JUCOs that ended up being duds for us or worse - never making it to class.

Regardless, would've been nice to land this guy.

We also have tons of high school players that never pan out as well. I personally think its about even and to discount jucos is silly. When we clearly could use some immediate impact players, I don't see how a few 4 star jucos could hurt.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Did anyone say they hurt? No.

ISU BET made a statement. And, if I can get a 3 star kid for 4 years or a 4 star kid for 2 - just looking only at that and not knowing what the kids are capable of, position, etc...

I'd take the high school kid too. 4 > 2.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Im sure boone pickens was in contact with him anyway.......he was too expensive for us

No reason to be rude to the kid. After all, a deserted campus, frigid weather, and no game at Hilton when he visited certainly didn't help. Simply unfortunate.

As far as taking a juco, yes I would have happily taken an immediate contributor who could be a patch for a season or two. After all, the sooner we start winning, the sooner the high school four- and five-stars will start looking more seriously at us. And winning is what it's all about, after all.

Think about what will happen if a corner or two gets hurt. Do you really want a true freshman out there as a starter against those spread offenses, like OSU, Missouri and KU? Even Ellis wasn't more than a nickel back and spot player as a true freshman.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yeah, who needs players like Seneca Wallace, Alvin Bowen, Tim Dobbins, Lamarcus Aldridge etc. High schooler, every time!:confused:

Lamarcus Hicks?

KMAC_ATTACK; said:
Okay ISU BET...heres a question for you....Signing day for Jucos is tomorrow, what about Transfers....One way to cheer me up, tell me that Bo Williams is signing tomorrow and i will be happy.....

I don't think four-year transfers sign letters. Besides, apparently he's foolishly going to Illinois.

I'm still looking for a juco linebacker. And what about Bedford?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Besides, apparently he's foolishly going to Illinois.

I'm still looking for a juco linebacker. And what about Bedford?

ACLONE, where have you heard about Williams going to Illinois? Everything on the Gator site talks about us and Florida Atlantic and that FAU has indicated that they do not like transfers especially ones they recruited really hard only to lose out to UF and the sweet talking Urban Meyer and his promises of a Emmitt Smith type career....Tebow being there will reduce the prospects they get at RB for the next 1-2 years....just wont see the ball enough....

I think we still have a shot at Williams...i would think he would be a mid-year transfer so today is the first signing day right...Would love to see ISU do the ol rop-a-dope and pull someone away from KU, KSU, or OSU for a change....

Regarding Bedford....last i had heard was he was visiting WVU but before that was really high on playing on the same line as George Selvie at USF. Not sure, but, Bedford has the look i would like on either side of our lines...Big, mean and not taking any **** from anyone....Looks like a great athlete hope we're able to pull him in, immediate starter....

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Agreed, i'm basing what we've all seen down in Lawrence, lets face it, if fat boy dont win this year hes gone like Terry Allen...

But, with the success and pub of this year, they're recruiting is really strong - like 3* kids across the board...thats a good class....the impact of a few TALENTED JUCO's could provide immediate results while Chiz's HS kids work through the system and develop the foundation for sustained success i agree with you..the key is HS kids for long term success. But, that success in our conference is so tough, i just hope our fan base and support endures that transition....Our stadium full of fans this year rocked...will year two have the same momentum if the recruiting class is last in the big 12 and rated as 70 or below....

I remember a coach in the far east of Iowa who had some really high rated classes after 3 years of New Year Day bowls. There record the past 3 years is something like 19-18. The odd thing is, when they took in the lower rated players, that is what lead them to the 3 consecutive New Year day bowls.

Do any of you believe that the years prior to their success, they took in players that "fit" their program/coaching style and that is what lead to their success vs. the 3 years after, they took in players that were "star" players as determined by internet recruiting "gurus." Did the coaches buy into the hype?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Do any of you believe that the years prior to their success, they took in players that "fit" their program/coaching style and that is what lead to their success vs. the 3 years after, they took in players that were "star" players as determined by internet recruiting "gurus." Did the coaches buy into the hype?

Don't discount anything you said...merely was making a point that at Iowa they're up against the same thing we are....everyone around them are making huge leaps and bounds to improve, if your not matching that, you will be passed...Big 12 North...next year....Colorado much better, Mizzou very good, Kansas very good, Nebraska who knows got lots of talent there, Kansas St recruiting the heck out of JC kids, could pay instant dividends..I mean the big 12 north is looking tough and if hawkins can coach (he can) and the way he's pulling 4-5* talent away from USC thats saying something....that will be another really tough game as if this year wasnt tough enough.....i.e. didnt get the snap off before the clock expired to take away overtime....

I hope our coaches are as good at evaluating talent as they are coaching, because they really did coach a lot of kids up last year and the play besides the Kansas game was far superior at the end of the year as compared to the beginning. Also having a class in the system will help the coaches convey the system quicker to the new players because even when they're not talking with a player, now that the returning players understand the system and they begin to help coach the system.

Next year will be a true sign of where were at and what direction were headed...i'm excited for the spring game....

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

No.Those "star" players were still only redshirt sophomores, or injured (like the tight end, Moeaki, and tackle Richardson). Unfortunately, Iowa will be good again soon--as long as they find a running back.