MBB Recruiting Tidbit

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The dead period is when Kelvin really gets active on his Crackberry.

Noticed that 14 ppg and 3 assists indicates he may shoot more than he assists on his past team. No problem, just noticing, will vary from team to team. I remember when Stinson and Blaylock were leading big 12 in assists as a duo.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Sat right next to the kid tonight...a couple things...

- Was there with what I assume to be his dad.
- Enjoys his phone a lot, like any college kid.
- Pollard came down and introduced himself at halftime and invited them up to his office or something like that.
- After halftime, what looked to be a friend of the dad's and the friend's wife/significant other came over and sat right behind them - they talked the entire 2nd half. The wife/SO was in ISU apparel.

Seems like there may be a connection to Ames for this family - or maybe it was just a coincidence. But I hope there is a connection and it works in our favor.

On our way out, I shook the kid's hand, thanked him for taking the visit and said I hoped to see him in a Cyclone uniform next year - and wished him luck.

Would be a huge get for us, from what I understand the ISU staff wants him really, really bad.

usnclone

Feb 9, 2007

- Pollard came down and introduced himself at halftime and invited them up to his office or something like that.

Seeing this made me think. How much Pollard gets involved with some of this recruiting? He did a HUGE job of "recruiting" Chizik and he sure knows how to sell the program.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
"...and said I hoped to see him in a Cyclone uniform next year"

Violation! Violation!

I'm kidding but I would bet that it is according to you-know-who. You are a boooster you know. :)

Great post, by the way.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

- Was there with what I assume to be his dad.
- Enjoys his phone a lot, like any college kid.
- After halftime, what looked to be a friend of the dad's and the friend's wife/significant other came over and sat right behind them - they talked the entire 2nd half. The wife/SO was in ISU apparel.

Seems like there may be a connection to Ames for this family - or maybe it was just a coincidence. But I hope there is a connection and it works in our favor.

On our way out, I shook the kid's hand, thanked him for taking the visit and said I hoped to see him in a Cyclone uniform next year - and wished him luck.

Would be a huge get for us, from what I understand the ISU staff wants him really, really bad.

I think the NCAA defines this as inappropriate contact! How many Benjamins did you slip the kid during your handshake?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
"A few other people shook the kid's hand as well."

Great...we're screwed.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Pollard came down and introduced himself at halftime and invited them up to his office or something like that.

He probably took him to the suite behind the student section and up the stairs. They have food in there. They also have a bar in there where you can get drunk. They have killer mini burito's. Anyway I have seen a few recruits up there at half time. If you see people walking around with wrist bands on. It's so they can go up there and eat and smooze. It's a new addition this year. I always see a bunch of band members getting ready right outside the room. I imagine this is the prep band area.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
He probably took him to the suite behind the student section and up the stairs. They have food in there. They also have a bar in there where you can get drunk. They have killer mini burito's. Anyway I have seen a few recruits up there at half time. If you see people walking around with wrist bands on. It's so they can go up there and eat and smooze. It's a new addition this year. I always see a bunch of band members getting ready right outside the room. I imagine this is the prep band area.
We should have a section at Hilton like the one at Dodger stadium where you get as much hot dogs and pop if you buy seats in one area. I would probably gain 20 pounds, or something like that

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
From the Cyclones.Com Compliance website :
Three Reminders From Compliance

1. Please contact the Compliance Office for NCAA rules interpretations.

2. Remember that in most cases - CONTACT WITH A PROSPECT IS PROHIBITED!

3. Thank you for your support and interest in all of our athletic programs

Sounds like their is a potential violation. Maybe we should delete this thread?

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
In one of the compliance linebacker videos, wasn't one of the violations that they highlighted someone telling a prospect that they should go to Iowa State?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The ONLY thing that scares me is the JUCO thing. Dang we have kind of sucked the past few years going that route. We have to get a good one sometime. Maybe now!!

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Jiri doesn't exactly suck...

I didn't even imply that. Did I?
What is our percentage of our 2 year players played more than 5 minutes a game over a 2 year period? I didn't paint my statement with a wide brush. Our success hasn't been that good with JUCOS the past 3 or 4 years.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd love to get this kid, and allow all the rest of the young guys to develop at a regular pace. Throwing all of these freshman in the mix isn't always a great idea IMO.

Yeah, that sure didn't work out for Ohio State last year. Or Louisville. Or...:wink:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hey, I'd love to have instant impact freshman. However, I don't think anybody is going to mistake Wes Eikmeier for Dequan Cook.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Hey, I'd love to have instant impact freshman. However, I don't think anybody is going to mistake Wes Eikmeier for Dequan Cook.

Actually I think some might do that...you should go read the latest Wes Eikmeier thread!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Sorry if already posted, but i saw the juco guard thats looking at us and UK will visit Lexington this weekend. Not too confident with the crowd/atmosphere we had.