Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Heard Jeriann on WHOTV this morning say something to the effect "roads will be slick for those traveling to Grandmas...". Harmless comment but I cringed hearing that lol....then I thought to myself never in my life would I cringe hearing something along these lines. Crazy times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have. While they are not that high now, Jones County was over 50%. With 822 inmates positive (76 active, 741 recovered, 5 dead) and 140 prison staff (28 active, 112 recovered), after having done fairly well until recently at Anamosa, it is not surprising. Nearly 85% of the inmates.
Knew they were high and didn’t know that a jail was there. State wise I think the highest we got was mid to maybe high 20s. He said the state was 50% positive.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Every country that enjoyed their time as the "model" for dealing with covid is exactly where we are and in most cases worse. Meaning nobody has the answer to this be it masks, distancing, herd immunity or unadulterated debauchery.

South Korea is not 'where we are'.

Japan is not 'where we are'.

USA currently has 80 times more COVID deaths than Korea (on a per millions basis). Korea has had an outstanding program to 'test, trace, and isolate' cases from the very beginning.

USA currently has 50 times more COVID deaths than Japan (on a per million basis) - and Japan didn't even do a good job with 'test, trace, and isolate', like Korea did!

• Winner
Reactions: CloneLawman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Things are projected to get worse for how long? Cases have peaked.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Spread during holiday gatherings would be my guess.

Yup. That's the next explosion.

Listened to the Ames School Board meeting from Monday last night. A parent called in to complain about the move to online learning, arguing that cases are going down and will keep going down for the next few weeks, so we need to get kids into in-person school.

I'll just go ahead and guess that she isn't paying attention, and has big Thanksgiving plans.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

USA currently has 80 times more COVID deaths than Korea (on a per millions basis). Korea has had an outstanding program to 'test, trace, and isolate' cases from the very beginning.

USA currently has 50 times more COVID deaths than Japan (on a per million basis) - and Japan didn't even do a good job with 'test, trace, and isolate', like Korea did!

Even Canada has been radically better off than us the whole way too. My Canadian business is down 50%, American business in same sector down 95%.

Hard to see so much denial of facts and science. We can do better, need to do better the next six months.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Public service post: US case reporting is going to be weird over the next 2 weeks due to the holiday.

First, reported daily cases and deaths will likely decrease even faster than reality due to reporting delays from the holiday.

Then, after the holiday, reported daily cases and deaths will likely increase above reality.

Let's not lose our minds during either phase, eh?

Blog | Daily COVID-19 Data Is About to Get Weird | The COVID Tracking Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron