Mika's Eye Injury Update

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have had one of those. It healed up fine in about a day and a half. It was nothing compared to the broken nose I got at the same time. Glad he will be fine.

Any news on how his elbow is holding up after that vicious attack by Hogue's mouth?

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
In the video, the BYU announcer says that he didn't think it was that intentional.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No doubt. A still shot is out there, and is quickly turning into a popular meme. Sad to see...and out of context, looks bad for our team.

There was a lot of chippy play last night, and it was NOT all Cyclone aggression.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Spencer Linton ‏@Spencer_Linton 8h Hearing Eric Mika's eye injury involves scratched cornea(s). Eyes and surrounding area swelling up pretty badly. Lots of red & purple. #BYU

Good thing is a scratched cornea heals pretty quickly. May miss a game, but from what I understand heals in a few days. Good news from my perspective.

That's probably a pain in the ***, but I'm glad it wasn't anything worse.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Any mention on how his elbow is doing after Hogue fouled him hard with his lip?

Seriously though. Glad it isn't more serious. Kid can play and BYU was a different team when he was on the floor.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
In real time that would be impossible to plan unless Kane is a ninja.

"I think I'll get myself kicked out of a huge game with 3 minutes to go. That'll show 'em!"

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Non slow mo, now with 50% more BYU announcer homerism:

[video=youtube_share;hgZSU5q5LVE]http://youtu.be/hgZSU5q5LVE[/video]

THey guy said he didn't think it was intentional. Not sure on the homerism. Can you imagine Heft in that situation?

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Talk about kicking a guy when he is down...... (man Mika had tough night)

[video=youtube;9TfEp7UVUhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfEp7UVUhE[/video]

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Okay... couple of things. First, Mika is only a freshman, right?... Wow. Kid's going to be good when/if he plays again after his two year mission...

2nd: Both the elbow to the face and the eye poking looked like they were accidents. Kane's looked a heck of a lot worse, and after watching the replay, what choice did the refs really have. We can argue all we want about how Kane was anticipating the ball coming up and trying to strip it (but apparently thought Mika's face was the ball), but the reality is if you watch the replay, it looks like Kane is a freaking kung fu master taking Mika out. I truly believe it was a complete and unfortunate accident, and you can see Kane trying to pull his fingers back (curled back oddly) even as he does it, but he still freaking poked the guy in the face/eyes without even touching the ball. I can't argue much with the ejection. The replay looks terrible. On the other side, Mika's elbow did in fact look like a basketball move. I think the foul should have been wiped, but not sure if that's allowed or not. I didn't see any ill will/egregious elbows on Mika's part in this case either, just a result of a lot of normal contact, so agreed with the call after the review (other than the foul shot...). At the end of the day, the two incidents don't relate at all IMO just because the video looks so different. I'm 100% on board with Kane's inadvertent eye rake, but still, out of context, and not knowing Kane beyond his previous rep, it looks a lot worse... I'm hoping Kane sends an apology/get well of some sort, despite it being the accident it was.

As for Ejim, c'mon buddy... Too much. I get it, you're frustrated... But you've gotta do better than/you're too smart for that. Paired with Kane's "eye raking" photo makes this team look bad... If I'm Hoiberg, I actually sit Ejim as punishment for the first half of the next game (though it could be argued that it doesn't really make a point given the next opponent). Kane's "rake" was an accident, but Ejim's incident was a poor decision, and uncharacteristic of him as a person. ISU needs to carry itself better than that... Leave the antics to CF and the Waxman (he needs a bigger jersey or something)... Keep winning, but don't forget to carry yourself as reps of ISU.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I'm glad to hear it was not more serious. I scratched my cornea once, and did some other damage to my eye from a piece of glass. I had to wear a patch over it for a few days, and did not like being out in the sunlight, but after the initial pain it was not too bad. Took forever it seemed for the eye to completely clear up though in appearance.

He'll look like a tough guy for a while. There next game is Monday against Texas. He probably will be back for that....maybe with a pair of goggles.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Non slow mo, now with 50% more BYU announcer homerism:

[video=youtube_share;hgZSU5q5LVE]http://youtu.be/hgZSU5q5LVE[/video]

On that first time he went down... nobody even touched him except for the trainer kicking him. That was an oscar worthy flop.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Glad to hear he'll survive.

Hopefully he'll be able to lead some semblance of a normal life and BYU will honor his scholarship. My thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
He will wear a patch for a day and be fine. Good news though anyway.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That was the ref's fault, not the BYU player's.

I agree with this, but it also means it's not Kane's fault which I'd say about 90% of BYU fans would disagree with. If Mika can throw a faultless bloody elbow to the face, Kane can turn around bringing his hands up into a player's eye.

Either way I hope he is better and doesn't miss games. We've had some violent things this year like Long getting stomped on the ground and I'm sure we'd be mad if our players were injured too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Okay... couple of things. First, Mika is only a freshman, right?... Wow. Kid's going to be good when/if he plays again after his two year mission...

2nd: Both the elbow to the face and the eye poking looked like they were accidents. Kane's looked a heck of a lot worse, and after watching the replay, what choice did the refs really have. We can argue all we want about how Kane was anticipating the ball coming up and trying to strip it (but apparently thought Mika's face was the ball), but the reality is if you watch the replay, it looks like Kane is a freaking kung fu master taking Mika out. I truly believe it was a complete and unfortunate accident, and you can see Kane trying to pull his fingers back (curled back oddly) even as he does it, but he still freaking poked the guy in the face/eyes without even touching the ball. I can't argue much with the ejection. The replay looks terrible. On the other side, Mika's elbow did in fact look like a basketball move. I think the foul should have been wiped, but not sure if that's allowed or not. I didn't see any ill will/egregious elbows on Mika's part in this case either, just a result of a lot of normal contact, so agreed with the call after the review (other than the foul shot...). At the end of the day, the two incidents don't relate at all IMO just because the video looks so different. I'm 100% on board with Kane's inadvertent eye rake, but still, out of context, and not knowing Kane beyond his previous rep, it looks a lot worse... I'm hoping Kane sends an apology/get well of some sort, despite it being the accident it was.

As for Ejim, c'mon buddy... Too much. I get it, you're frustrated... But you've gotta do better than/you're too smart for that. Paired with Kane's "eye raking" photo makes this team look bad... If I'm Hoiberg, I actually sit Ejim as punishment for the first half of the next game (though it could be argued that it doesn't really make a point given the next opponent). Kane's "rake" was an accident, but Ejim's incident was a poor decision, and uncharacteristic of him as a person. ISU needs to carry itself better than that... Leave the antics to CF and the Waxman (he needs a bigger jersey or something)... Keep winning, but don't forget to carry yourself as reps of ISU.

One thing for SURE that no BYU fan can admit. It's not a foul on Hogue's bloody face for coming into contact with Mika's saintly elbow...yet that was the call on that play. They got typical home calls and still lost, they need to get over it and accept it.