Mike Zadick on CyCast with John Walter

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I love the staff's attitude. They aren't promising sunshine and rainbows and championships in the next year or two, but they also aren't underselling their abilities as coaches. They expect to win.

Very excited about the future of ISU wrestling.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Great interview. Never thought I could like a Hokeye wrestler, but he is making it happen.

Reactions: Clone83

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
That was a good interview.

When he wrestled at Iowa I used to get Mike and his brother Bill’s names mixed up. I thought he might have been the coach for the 2013 Pan American Junior team, but I looked it up not long ago and, as I recall it, was instead his brother Bill, who coaches at the Olympic Training Center.

Still, it was pretty cool that Bill invited former Iowa state champion heavyweight Caleb White, of Neola Tri-Center, who was wrestling then at St. Cloud State, on both the freestyle and Greco teams. From their website, I see that Caleb was a three time All-American in both Greco and freestyle, finishing 2nd in Greco in 2011, so it isn’t as if he wasn’t deserving.

At the Pan American Games, though, Caleb won freestyle and finished second in Greco (again, in the Junior division), which I believe was the best performance of any wrestler on the team(s).

Anyway, that’s how I remember it from what I read at the time.

I don’t think Caleb ever really started a lot at St. Cloud State, which I think won two of the last three team titles in Division 2 and finished 2nd this year. They had another All-American heavyweight in Caleb’s class. But that is something he will obviously remember the rest of his life.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87