MLB: MLB TV Markets

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
How exactly is Des Moines in the TV market for CHC, CWS, MIN, KC and MIL?

The only Chicago games we get here are WGN - which is pretty much a national network so the entire country could be considered that TV market. But the cable subscribers, at least around DSM, don't get Comcast which broadcasts the remaining games.

Not sure I EVER see a Mil, KC or Min game on tv that isn't a FOX game of the week or something.

STL has FSN-Midwest or whoever, so that makes some sense.

My only beef with this is that DirecTV isn't really an option for me and I'd be happy to get MLBTv.com, but these tv areas keep me out - so I miss about 2/3 of the Cubs games.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
How exactly is Des Moines in the TV market for CHC, CWS, MIN, KC and MIL?

MLB decides the TV markets, it's up to the cable companies to carry the networks.

KC I can understand, after all, it's the closet MLB market to Des Moines and back in the Royals hay day, the Royals had a ton of Iowa fans, still do. Milwaukee OTOH, makes no sense what so ever. NE Iowa I can see being in Brewers TV market, but the rest of the state?

I agree about MLB.TV, if your cable provider isn't airing the games, then the blackouts should be lifted.

With DirecTV's sports pack, it's not out of the question to have 8 or 9 MLB games on TV every night.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
MLB decides the TV markets. KC I can understand, after all, it's the closet MLB market to Des Moines and back in the Royals hay day, the Royals had a ton of Iowa fans, still do. Milwaukee OTOH, makes no sense what so ever. NE Iowa I can see being in their TV, but the rest of the state?

I agree about MLB.TV, if your cable provider isn't airing the games, then the blackout should be lifted.

I'd understand KC and Minnesota as well - if they had TV.

As it stands, only STL really makes any sense. When we had FSN-Chicago, the Cubs and Sox made sense as well.

Maybe MLB hasn't got the memo yet?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I'd understand KC and Minnesota as well - if they had TV.

What do you mean? FSN North (which I get via the sports pack along with the T-Wolves and Wild) airs over 140 Twins games and starting next week, Kansas City gets their own FSN with the same number of games, if not more being aired. When I had Mediacrap, I recall the Connections Channel airing a handful of Twins games via FSN North.

Prior to FSN KC, the Royals games were produced in-house by an outfit called the Royals Sports Television Network, which is now defunct.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What do you mean? FSN North (which I get via the sports pack along with the T-Wolves and Wild) airs over 140 Twins games and starting next week, Kansas City gets their own FSN with the same number of games, if not more being aired.

Prior to FSN KC, the Royals games were produced in-house by an outfit called the Royals Sports Television Network, which is now defunct.

Sports pack on satellite?

I'll submit to that - I don't get it.

But under that premise - you could buy the MLB package on dish and be in everyone's home market, no?

Basic subscribers get FSN (Midwest?) and that's it. Non cable or dish get even less. That's my point.

Yes - I've seen a handful of games on Connections. But I see even more Red Sox or Yankees games thanks to ESPN's adnauseum coverage.

All of this would be easy for me if they'd put Comcast into a sports or premium tier.

Last edited:

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I thought the Royals were a minor league team for the "Big" market teams to poach from prior to the trade deadline???

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
If I get Direct TV and sports pack will I be blacked out at all from any games?

You'll get the Midwestern teams free of blackouts (Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Brewers, and hopefully KC), any other MLB team and you'll need to purchase MLB Extra Innings.

DirecTV has the following:

Comcast Sports Chicago on channel 640 (CSN Chicago is the primary regional sports network on the DirecTV programming packages)

You'll need sportspack to receive:

FSN North on channel 641
FSN Wisconsin on channel 642 (Other than for Brewers and Bucks, this channel is dark as it's the same programming as 641)
FSN Midwest on channel 647
FSN Kansas City on channel 648 (I'm guessing other than for Royals games, this channel will be dark as it's pretty much the same programming as 647)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron