most impactful piece of football recruiting legislation in 25 years.”

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We've lost so many kids in the last couple of months leading to NSD to higher level programs. An early signing day would be pretty big for schools like ISU.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm interested in what the downstream effects will be. The first time it ends up screwing over a power school it will be a huge issue. But it will be interesting to see if we land some of the diamonds in the rough before the big boys catch on too.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just seeing the coaches that oppose the early signing period should tell you all you need to know. Saban, Meyer, Petrino. The guys that live on over-signing and last-minute poaching would naturally oppose this legislature.

The thing is, nobody is forcing these kids to sign early, it's just an option. There are still going to be top recruits that love the attention waiting until the February signing day.

From one of the links in the story: "According to Bowlsby, research found more than 90 percent of recruits stay with their initial commitment and over 80 percent commit before or during their senior season." There's no reason a kid shouldn't have the option to stop all of the recruiting contact and return to their normal life if they want.

Also from the article:
"I think it's pushed by people that are in an area where most of their recruits are within a radius where they're on their campus all the time, they're coming and going to games," Petrino said, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. "Here at the University of Louisville, we have to leave our borders to go get our players."

In-state players have to love reading that quote!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just seeing the coaches that oppose the early signing period should tell you all you need to know. Saban, Meyer, Petrino. The guys that live on over-signing and last-minute poaching would naturally oppose this legislature.

The thing is, nobody is forcing these kids to sign early, it's just an option. There are still going to be top recruits that love the attention waiting until the February signing day.

From one of the links in the story: "According to Bowlsby, research found more than 90 percent of recruits stay with their initial commitment and over 80 percent commit before or during their senior season." There's no reason a kid shouldn't have the option to stop all of the recruiting contact and return to their normal life if they want.

Also from the article:
"I think it's pushed by people that are in an area where most of their recruits are within a radius where they're on their campus all the time, they're coming and going to games," Petrino said, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal. "Here at the University of Louisville, we have to leave our borders to go get our players."

In-state players have to love reading that quote!

Not surprised. Petrino is such a slime ball.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The biggest thing this will do is even out the resources deficiency of school like ISU. ISU, Iowa, etc don't have to spend resources and time recruiting kids that sign early. There will always be kids who want to wait until the later period because they are waiting for bigger schools to offer. But get the kids locked down that are ready and move on.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Hopefully this will also help some with oversigning. The big name recruits can commit early to schools and it will be more obvious how many spots are really available.

I really want to wait and see whether this helps ISU or not. Even if a kid commits, there's nothing to say that he has to sign early. If he thinks there's potential for bigger schools to offer then he might as well wait it out. The only ones that will be eager to sign are the ones that won't be guaranteed a scholarship as the process goes on. And does that really help ISU?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I see many positives with the legislation...it definitely gives the recruits more flexibility in making their choice. Of course, the blue bloods will have a lot to say about passage.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I really want to wait and see whether this helps ISU or not. Even if a kid commits, there's nothing to say that he has to sign early. If he thinks there's potential for bigger schools to offer then he might as well wait it out. The only ones that will be eager to sign are the ones that won't be guaranteed a scholarship as the process goes on. And does that really help ISU?

I don't think it helps us keep recruits that are considering other options from de-committing. As you said, as long as they haven't signed, they can still commit and flip if they are looking for a better offer.

It has the potential of shrinking down available scholarships at the "better offer" schools, giving some of those potential flippers a better picture of where they truly stand.

Of course, we're talking about 17 year old kids. Predicting what the trend will be is futile until it happens.

Like rholtgraves said, I think our true benefit will be from a financial standpoint.