New 32 story residential tower, 9 screen theater proposed for downtown Des Moines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum!

seriously, though, this sounds pretty neat. Would be hipster central, but what downtown area isn't these days?

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Good grief....I was just hoping for a movie theater in the near future! This is great news for DM. Been a long time since anything was built to add anything substantial to the skyline. Hope it happens as proposed!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'd love to see a new (noticeable) skyscraper in Des Moines! Personally, I'd like to see a taller, mixed-use tower, but I'll take it.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Sounds cool.

But two "luxury" apartment projects in downtown? Wonder what the price points will end up being.

Edit: Read that wrong. Thought it was saying these would be luxury too, in addition to the 7th and Grand project. Guess these are "market rate".

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I do get pretty jealous when doing market research for markets around the country and seeing how far behind our downtown is in comparison.

Working through some high rise appraisals got me thinking about the concept in Des Moines but I'm not too sure how much demand we would actually have for residential property in that size without making an effort to rebuild the life and scene of downtown.

Especially if the unit pricing is up there. Do we have the demographic to support that?

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I do get pretty jealous when doing market research for markets around the country and seeing how far behind our downtown is in comparison.

Working through some high raise appraisals got me thinking about the concept in Des Moines but I'm not too sure how much demand we would actually have for residential property in that size without making an effort to rebuild the life and scene of downtown.

Especially if the unit pricing is up there. Do we have the demographic to support that?

I think that demo is growing. New housing is starting to get out a ways from downtown. The commutes (while still are nothing close to being "bad") are getting longer. If you're a young professional - a new downtown apt may be more attractive than a 15-20+ minute commute to Waukee or Ankeny, depending on traffic. There's been a bunch of residential projects the past 10 years or so, and all doing well from what I can tell. They wouldn't keep building them if there wasn't a demand.

As for what's being offered - it's smaller scale, but the Court Ave district is 100x better than what it was when I first moved here 20 yrs back. And I suppose I have to concede that you need a resident population to make it grow, if not make it only sustainable.

(Still not crazy about that Hy Vee however. :wink:)

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Working through some high raise appraisals got me thinking about the concept in Des Moines but I'm not too sure how much demand we would actually have for residential property in that size without making an effort to rebuild the life and scene of downtown.

Have you seen what has been occurring downtown in the decade? Isn't' this already happening before your eyes? I know I see it and experience it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Wow, this project would be great for downtown Des Moines. Hope it comes to fruition.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think that demo is growing. New housing is starting to get out a ways from downtown. The commutes (while still are nothing close to being "bad") are getting longer. If you're a young professional - a new downtown apt may be more attractive than a 15-20+ minute commute to Waukee or Ankeny, depending on traffic. There's been a bunch of residential projects the past 10 years or so, and all doing well from what I can tell. They wouldn't keep building them if there wasn't a demand.

As for what's being offered - it's smaller scale, but the Court Ave district is 100x better than what it was when I first moved here 20 yrs back. And I suppose I have to concede that you need a resident population to make it grow, if not make it only sustainable.

(Still not crazy about that Hy Vee however. :wink:)

This doesn't get proposed to this scale IMO on this site if Hy-Vee isn't across the street. If you read the article, the developer passed on the Y site on the river because of lack of skywalk access to amenities.

The trend of moving to urban areas is as much or more about walkability to what is outside your door as it is about commute times. i.e...it doesn't matter if your commute is 15 mins or 30 as both require you to be a slave to your car to get anywhere. A larger and larger segment of the population doesn't desire that limitation in their lives. People want their cars still, but they want the option of leaving it behind at times and to actually be able to get somewhere of interest (or need...e.g....restaurants, job, shopping).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
This doesn't get proposed to this scale IMO on this site if Hy-Vee isn't across the street. If you read the article, the developer passed on the Y site on the river because of lack of skywalk access to amenities.

The trend of moving to urban areas is as much or more about walkability to what is outside your door as it is about commute times. i.e...it doesn't matter if your commute is 15 mins or 30 as both require you to be a slave to your car to get anywhere. A larger and larger segment of the population doesn't desire that limitation in their lives. People want their cars still, but they want the option of leaving it behind at times and to actually be able to get somewhere of interest (or need...e.g....restaurants, job, shopping).

Fine. And you very likely are 100% correct about it's impact on this project. Still not crazy about the Hy Vee.

Where's the closest grocery to P&L in KC? Riverwalk in San Antonio?

I'm not hating on Hy Vee. Fully acknowledged there's a need (greater need in the Sherman Hill, North of Grand/South of Grand neighborhood, even East Village... but whatever) Just a bad locale IMO - to throw that in what you want to be heart of your entertainment district. 2 blocks in about any direction (except east I suppose) - and I can't say boo about it.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As one who was vocally against the hyvee project (I wanted mandelbaum's prior theater proposal) we could get the best of both worlds with these 2 together. You know the hyvee practically next door will be a selling point for prospective residents of this tower

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA

Have you seen what has been occurring downtown in the decade? Isn't' this already happening before your eyes? I know I see it and experience it.

There has been improvement no doubt. My friends and I do go downtown a lot. I still wouldn't say that aspect is where it needs to be in order to support two new Class A, high rise luxury residential buildings.

The night life is getting there but what's keeping young professionals from going to West Glen? If you can live out west in the suburbs with a house and more space plus have a short commute to a job developing out there, why pay more to live downtown? Waukee, Jordan Creek, and the surrounding area near West Des Moines and on provide competition in a sense for downtown life.

My concern is more so relative to office development. Young professionals going through the applying process with job searches are going to find many businesses are developing away from downtown.

I get that some people want the city life, but I would think you need quicker development and more pulling young professionals and businesses there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.