New 32 story residential tower, 9 screen theater proposed for downtown Des Moines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Institutional level money backing out is not good news. Based on that article, I highly doubt that this tower is ever more than that rendering unfortunately. If it is, I can guarantee they won't achieve rents to make the construction costs pencil. Just my two cents.

That's what I thought as well. But maybe that investment firm is just going to let them hang themselves and be able to get a half built tower for pennies on the dollar compared to what they were in for originally.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Institutional level money backing out is not good news. Based on that article, I highly doubt that this tower is ever more than that rendering unfortunately. If it is, I can guarantee they won't achieve rents to make the construction costs pencil. Just my two cents.

Any high-rise proposal in a city the size of Des Moines is a gamble. I hope both this one and the 29 story project with movie theater in Court Ave area gets built, If we can get one to pan out, that is a win. Both would be really incredible for the city. We'll see. 2017 should tell us a lot about the realities of both and what we'll end up with in the end. Doesn't hurt that big plans were revealed this week for the possibility of converting the Kaleidoscope Mall into a year-round market. That would be huge in increasing the attractiveness of living downtown.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Any high-rise proposal in a city the size of Des Moines is a gamble. I hope both this one and the 29 story project with movie theater in Court Ave area gets built, If we can get one to pan out, that is a win. Both would be really incredible for the city. We'll see. 2017 should tell us a lot about the realities of both and what we'll end up with in the end. Doesn't hurt that big plans were revealed this week for the possibility of converting the Kaleidoscope Mall into a year-round market. That would be huge in increasing the attractiveness of living downtown.

Please do something with kaleidoscope mall. Please. Are they thinking like a Newbo Market type thing?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

The 29 story proposal was never for Walnut and 5th (Court Ave area), it was the original Blackbird proposal which is now up to 33 floors. The one for 5th and Walnut is 32 floors.

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Please do something with kaleidoscope mall. Please. Are they thinking like a Newbo Market type thing?

636226844881165779-Capture2.JPG

636226844880541775-Capture6.JPG

Article in Register (include other projects too): http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...own-ideas-taking-baby-steps-forward/97895362/

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
OK...not only does lil' ole' Des Moines have two skyscrapers currently proposed, there are now suddenly two competing developers battling to build one on the site at Walnut/Court Ave & 5th.

The fate of competing tower proposals in downtown Des Moines now rests with the Des Moines City Council.

The Council voted Monday to receive a last-minute proposal from Blackbird Investments, setting up a showdown between Blackbird and Mandelbaum Properties, another local developer that previously made a proposal to develop the same site.

636252664749360853-5th-and-Walnut-03.16.17-All-Three-Masses-with-Blackbird-Logo.jpg

Link to full Register story/video: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...l-pick-one-two-skyscraper-proposals/99444874/

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
^while I like some aspects of this new proposal, I'm sad to see Blackbird doesn't have a movie theater as part of their proposal. That said, it will just be a matter of time before someone else builds the theater somewhere downtown.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
^while I like some aspects of this new proposal, I'm sad to see Blackbird doesn't have a movie theater as part of their proposal. That said, it will just be a matter of time before someone else builds the theater somewhere downtown.
Yeah the original proposal seems better to me.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah the original proposal seems better to me.
I am also more a fan of the original proposal. The new one also seems contingent on getting a good number of owners to buy-in before the tower would go up, which complicates things, and i have to wonder if this is designed to take away some competition for their other tower, which would be in the same 'luxury apartment' market as the original proposal.

And given this space has prime proximity to other entertainment options on court, i'd prefer an entertainment amenity that diversifies those options in a theater rather than the hotel on court.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Word is the City is going to go with Blackbird at 5th and Walnut. So Blackbird is putting up a 33 story tower at the old Younkers site and a potentially a 35 story tower at 5th and Walnut. I kind of liked Mandelbaum's proposal better, but that project was proposed 2 years ago and is not moving very fast. Maybe they can at least get some movie theaters at another location downtown.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Word is the City is going to go with Blackbird at 5th and Walnut. So Blackbird is putting up a 33 story tower at the old Younkers site and a potentially a 35 story tower at 5th and Walnut. I kind of liked Mandelbaum's proposal better, but that project was proposed 2 years ago and is not moving very fast. Maybe they can at least get some movie theaters at another location downtown.

Yeah.. im definitely more a fan of the mandelbaum proposal.

I still think its dubious that theyre going to get the coop off the ground, and i think a theater is much more of an add to court than a hotel. Sucks that we're going to lose out on that addition a second time after losing that to Hyvee just a couple years ago.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does anyone even go to movies anymore? Seems like that industry is dying the same death as cable tv. And it's a total ripoff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes, plenty still go. Theaters just have changed the experience they offer.

Like how? I see Flix as a totally different model that works but how else is that industry innovating? More comfortable seats??? Refillable disgusting popcorn bowls? That's it?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Like how? I see Flix as a totally different model that works but how else is that industry innovating? More comfortable seats??? Refillable disgusting popcorn bowls? That's it?
Its all about the experience. Flix is one way to do that. You can see it in the new theater out in altoona as well- beer, more comfortable seats, higher quality screens and audio. People still like seeing movies when they come out, especially when its the type of movie where you just cant beat the theater experience. I have a pretty solid system with a 65" screen and 7.1 audio, and its great for a lot of watching, but the theater is the peak experience for new releases.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just dont go to movies anymore. I don't even know anyone that has gone to a movie theater for a movie that didn't have "Star Wars" in the title for like 10 years. I'm not buying any stock in it that's for sure.

Court Ave needs a hookah lounge, a head shop, some chatch shops, and a titty bar imo.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I just dont go to movies anymore. I don't even know anyone that has gone to a movie theater for a movie that didn't have "Star Wars" in the title for like 10 years. I'm not buying any stock in it that's for sure.

Court Ave needs a hookah lounge, a head shop, some chatch shops, and a titty bar imo.

Are there zoning restrictions against some of those (especially the last one)? Feel like it'd be a goldmine downtown..

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Different strokes, I guess.

Even though I have a pretty nice home theater, I still can't create the visuals and sounds that a state of the art movie theater can. Also, I wash my refillable popcorn bowls between trips, so...

I don't go to many movies other than those that IMO benefit from being on the big screen/sound system.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-site-city-council-decide-next-week/99578152/

I don't know specifics but really don't see how anyone can be for the Blackbird project. The project itself is less interesting they are already building one and the other proposal has been going on for two years.

IMO there are enough specifics in the Register article to provide a pretty good clue as to why the city might be leaning to Blackbird. 1) project will be done sooner including the much needed parking ramp, 2) far less in incentives needed by the city, 3) Blackbird is offering to rebuilding the nearby intersection and also extending the skywalk all the way to Court Ave. . Outside of the article, one has to seriously wonder if DM can support two high-rise luxury apartment buildings going up around the same time.

I don't want to lose the movie theater, but fiscally speaking the Blackbird project is a lot less risk for the city I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: UraMallas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron