New 32 story residential tower, 9 screen theater proposed for downtown Des Moines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I agree with most of your points besides the parking ramp. In demand at select times during large events, maybe. But I'm not convinced that's the most efficient and highest use of downtown space. Parking is ample compared to most downtowns.

Fully agree with this. How many freaking parking garages does a mid sized midwestern city need? Make some underground garages.

I once walked like 4.5 miles from theMexican border to the amphitheater in Chula Vista to avoid paying $25 for parking.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
JFC, Gunner. Your ideas for DT would be what DSM would look like had George Bailey never been born.

I don't know what that means but I assume "awesome". I just don't get why everything has to be dork dad focused. Make some stuff for the cool kids and bro dads. THink of the memories that could be made on any given Saturday night.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I agree with most of your points besides the parking ramp. In demand at select times during large events, maybe. But I'm not convinced that's the most efficient and highest use of downtown space. Parking is ample compared to most downtowns.

You're preaching to the choir about parking...I'm just accepting that the masses aren't there yet. That said, even Blackbird recognizes that eventual excess of parking and are proposing to build their ramp in a way that eventually some of the parking can be converted to other uses down the line.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I wish there was just some way to build a ton of underground parking all over since there's no subway system but I know that isn't feasible.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
IMO there are enough specifics in the Register article to provide a pretty good clue as to why the city might be leaning to Blackbird. 1) project will be done sooner including the much needed parking ramp, 2) far less in incentives needed by the city, 3) Blackbird is offering to rebuilding the nearby intersection and also extending the skywalk all the way to Court Ave. . Outside of the article, one has to seriously wonder if DM can support two high-rise luxury apartment buildings going up around the same time.

I don't want to lose the movie theater, but fiscally speaking the Blackbird project is a lot less risk for the city I believe.
I guess I don't see the issue with when it is done. I'd rather have a great building then have something right away. The incentives is probably a big thing, but I really think the other project is that much better. The article didn't talk about an intersection and skywalk when I read it.

I guess my issue is that while it is great to see residential properties going in down there, you also have to have stuff to occupy them. That's why I think that the HyVee is such a big deal. You can actually live and shop downtown. I don't think that Des Moines can handle two basically residential only towers at once. That is why you need to include something else to make it so it can be successful.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
At the Younkers site, it will be 33 stories, estimated height is about 370 ft. That would make it the 3rd tallest building behind the 460 ft Ruan Center and the 630 ft 801 Grand. The Blackbird Project at 5th and Walnut should to be close to 400 ft. When or if it gets completed it would take the place of the tower at the Younkers site as the 3rd tallest. For Reference the Marriott is 365 ft, the Financial Center is 345 ft, the EMC Building 345 ft, and Plaza is 325 ft.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I guess I don't see the issue with when it is done. I'd rather have a great building then have something right away. The incentives is probably a big thing, but I really think the other project is that much better. The article didn't talk about an intersection and skywalk when I read it.

I guess my issue is that while it is great to see residential properties going in down there, you also have to have stuff to occupy them. That's why I think that the HyVee is such a big deal. You can actually live and shop downtown. I don't think that Des Moines can handle two basically residential only towers at once. That is why you need to include something else to make it so it can be successful.

There is additional detail in this letter the developer posted on the urbandsm forum. It addresses some of these additional details. Also, while both towers are residential, they would be targeting two different markets. Here some details from developer:

The immediate construction will also establish a complete permanent skywalk solution, reconnecting the 5th Street and Walnut Street bridges to a new, elegant and attractive glass structure. We will replace the current skywalk that extends along Walnut Street. A new skywalk will provide a vertical access facility (public elevator) at 5th and Walnut Street. Blackbird Investments will fund a new four-way intersection at 5th Street and Mulberry Street as well as 5th Street and Court Avenue. This greatly increases the efficiency of traffic and alleviates the current bottlenecks that form near these intersections. Lastly, we commit to fund the extension and revitalization of the Walnut Street streetscape improvement project.

During the construction of the parking garage, the second phase will still start with a 150-room hotel located along Court Avenue. Blackbird Investments has secured three different hotel groups interested in immediate development of this site. The hotel will host an indoor/outdoor music venue, further enhancing the viability of the Court Ave district. The skywalk system will be extended along 5th Street to Court Avenue, including handicapped accessibility to Court Avenue.

The third phase is a 35-story cooperative housing tower that addresses an unmet demand for home ownership in downtown Des Moines. The tower offers entry level to luxury price points catering to young professionals, families, and empty nesters, as well as various income levels. Blackbird Investments is funding an affordable home ownership program for 20% of the total square footage (approximately 40 households). The program will be facilitated by the Polk County Housing Trust and be 20 years in duration. The new tower will achieve LEED Certification to demonstrate (as Blackbird Investments has done on other projects) that sustainability can and should be a critical goal in all construction.

Source: https://www.urbandsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138681#p138681

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Please do something with kaleidoscope mall. Please. Are they thinking like a Newbo Market type thing?

Took my 5 year old there because what better way to wear a kid out on a rainy day than skywalks....was sad to see 75% of store space vacant. It's too bad really because it's a good location and a good concept.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
And FWIW, I'm for whatever proposal is actually going to happen. Des Moines has done a ton to its downtown in the last 10 years, but we haven't seen a sky scraper go up since the late 90s...would be neat to pump some new blood into the skyline.

Checked out the new Hy-Vee downtown today as well. Pretty cool just don't go with a big list.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines had a couple of opportunities for perhaps more skyscrapers. Nationwide put over a million feet of new office space downtown. Unfortunately they didn't go vertical with it. Wells Fargo has well over a million feet at Jordan Creek, to bad they didn't choose downtown. With all of the momentum and activity downtown I wonder if they would make that same decision today? Ruan proposed a 65 story world trade center in 1991. I think he had about 50 Ag. companies interested in space in that building. There are rumors of companies looking for class A office space downtown both from the within the metro and out of town, so there is a chance we may see another tower in the next few years.

Reactions: Buster28

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Original developer not going away quietly.

636263008728906488-Mandelbaum-3.JPG

636263008730154512-Mandelbaum-1.JPG

Article: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...tle-new-images-and-last-minute-plea/99731210/

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hopefully this energizes Blackbird to do another tower project by 2020. The co-op housing would have been interesting to follow and see if that works in DSM
Indeed. If there truly is a market there for that Coop, hopefully Blackbird pushes it at another site.

Status
Not open for further replies.