New $49.5 mil dorm at ISU

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Helser should go eventually, but would need to finish the plan at UDA with another building around the edges and finally giving UDA some green space in the middle.

I remember being told we were the last residents of that building... in spring 2004.
Fall '06 my freshman year class was the first one to be put back in Helser after it sat vacant for a year or so. Just had the north side open that was closest to the UDCC that year. The south half was closed still because of the water heater being antiquated. Eventually that got replaced and the whole thing was reopened in '07. Pretty sure ISU's enrollment hasnt stopped increasing since then.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Fall '06 my freshman year class was the first one to be put back in Helser after it sat vacant for a year or so. Just had the north side open that was closest to the UDCC that year. The south half was closed still because of the water heater being antiquated. Eventually that got replaced and the whole thing was reopened in '07. Pretty sure ISU's enrollment hasnt stopped increasing since then.

My freshman year was 03-04 and I lived in Helser. At the end of the year we were told Helser was no longer going to be in use so we blew all of our social/community funds on a big pizza party.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I wonder when Helser will finally be phased out.

My sister-in-law will be a freshman next year and she was assigned Helser and she's NOT HAPPY about it. I just have to tease her endlessly about it because she gets pretty worked up just thinking about it.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
My sister-in-law will be a freshman next year and she was assigned Helser and she's NOT HAPPY about it. I just have to tease her endlessly about it because she gets pretty worked up just thinking about it.
I don't care if you are in the most **** suite style dorm room or Helser, your experience hinges on what you and your floor mates make of it. If you end up with a bunch of lame-o's, like my brother did when he lived on Elwood floor in Helser, go explore the other floors. There's always at least one floor that knows how to have a good time.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I was an undergrad in the 80's and lived in RCA in Linden. We had three people in a 2 man room ( not counting girlfriends) for 2 years which is what led me to moving off campus for more room. It was generally end of first semester before all the poor blokes in te,p housing in the basement were moved to permanent housing. Now enrollment is several thousand higher.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I had always heard that Friley was going to be extended westward to replace Helser, which was going to be used as a Union Drive Courtyard. That was in 2008 when I heard that. I bet that is still the plan, but probably on hold until the current growth becomes the norm and situated better.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I lived in Helser my freshman year, 99-00 got kicked out cause we were in the part that got demolished for the new food court. They told us then that Helser would be gone in two years from that. So '02-'03 ish. The fact that kids still live there is great. The old dorms were awesome, the new dorms were to knew for my liking, really didn't give me the sense of the college experience. I did however move into Friley for 00-01, that was fun.