New Rec Center/State Gym Improvements

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
I got this in my inbox today - I think it's a really good idea, mostly because I'd love to have it.

On February 25, 26 & 27th, students will have the opportunity to vote
on a proposed new recreation renovation project. This Extreme Makeover:
Recreation Renovation project will consist of a new addition to State
Gym, renovations in Beyer Hall and State Gym, and air conditioning the
Lied Rec Center.

An informational open forum will be held on Thursday, January 17th at
8pm in the Memorial Union Sun Room.

What you can expect:

New Construction - State Gym Addition
92,320 square feet of new space (1/3 the size of Lied)
Weight/fitness room-16,000 square feet (double the size of the Lied
weight room)
Climbing wall (40 feet tall, twice as tall as Lied)
Leisure pool - Hot tub - Sauna
Lap pool - 25 meters
Basketball courts - 3 full length
Running track - 4 lanes elevated
Multipurpose room (1)
Elevated walkway connecting Beyer Hall to State Gym
Handicap accessible

State Gym Renovation
Replacement of basketball flooring
Personal training area
Multipurpose rooms (2)
Air conditioning (east and west ends)
New windows, electrical and plumbing

Beyer Hall Renovation
Multipurpose rooms (2)
Renovated locker rooms
Combined racquetball and squash courts
New lobby area

Lied Recreation Center Improvement
Air conditioning (first year of the project)

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Yeah, I'll assumably be gone.. there will be fees for it, but compared to the increased tuition for engineering majors, it's a drop in the bucket..

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I'm really excited about it. I was in the focus groups that they contacted and met with in 2005 and 2006. This is definitely the best of the plans they were choosing between. The only thing I'm disappointed with is their decision to pave over the west lawn of Friley and turn it into more parking. That's a really nice place to sunbathe and play sports, especially since the next closest grassy area large enough for games is Central Campus. Other than that, I'm excited to see these plans getting underway. The really sad part is that I might actually be here to use them! Getting my degree and coaching certification and three minors and graduating with honors is taking a little longer than I expected... Or I might be back here for grad school in a few years, anyway.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I'll assumably be gone.. there will be fees for it, but compared to the increased tuition for engineering majors, it's a drop in the bucket..

Are they increasing tuition only for engineering majors? i.e. engineering majors have to pay more? I didn't know about this.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am thankful for when I graduated (1998, wow that seems like a while back now). The tuition was on the rise, but I think out of state was only around 8k a year. When I started it was 6 something...

EDIT: Looks like a semester is around 8-9k now.

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Those fees for that are going to suck. I saw the plan for it, it said in year two, student fees would rise to approx $20/student, and years 3+, it would be around $100 or $120.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Its only money......:) All those upgrades would help the university's image and help recruiting. Beyer, State, Forker just seem so Run down. Air Conditioning in Lied is about the only thing missing from that place.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'd jump at the chance to see my student fees used in a great way like this if I were still a student. You know they're going up no matter what eventually, might as well know what you're getting for your $$.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Since I just graduated, I won't have to worry about the fees. However I wouldn't object to horribly to those fees as the students would be getting something directly back from it (well some of them would, some of them will pay the fees, and never get to see the completed project). As opposed to that differential tuition BS where I doubt most students will get anything back from it.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I'd jump at the chance to see my student fees used in a great way like this if I were still a student. You know they're going up no matter what eventually, might as well know what you're getting for your $$.

I would be in the same boat for this project. I really didn't have any problem with student fees for recreational activities, mostly because I used their services (the rec, intramurals, etc.)

I'm sure though that there will be plenty of people who have no intention of doing any of this and will be turned off by the $100 or so in fees that may occur in the future.

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks a year for those kind of improvements - I would bet that most people spend that amount on stupid crap in a couple months without even realizing it. Anyone know when the completion date is projected to be?

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
If they are going to charge some student fees, they better let these students use the facility after they complete the building... for FREE. I think thats what they did at Univ of Kansas. Whoever paid for the building get to use new REC for like however long they were enrolled during that time.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I am sure they are going to. Someone mentioned in the ISU Daily that of the 45 million cost, only 31 million will be coming from the University. So another 14 million has to come from other sources.

Also mentioned that costs would increase in student fees by $20 (no big deal) during construction, and an additional $100 after they are completed until the buildings are paid off.

I hope I don't get charged fees during construction, seeing as how I will probably never get to use the facilities (I graduate next year), but I will be around during construction.