Next Year Article DMR

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006

Found this article, didn't know we had signed Canon Acklin (4 time OK state champion), don't know much about him, but suprised he isn't in any national rankings being a 4 timer.

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
Yeah lots in here that I was unaware of/had heard differently.

1. Kysen gone?
2. Echemendia at 141 again?
3. Johnson doesn't have a redshirt anymore? I thought he grey shirted or something and then lost a year of eligibility with the gambling.
4. Chittum to 165 seems unlikely but I don't know his actual weight, he never seemed huge for 157.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yeah lots in here that I was unaware of/had heard differently.

1. Kysen gone?
2. Echemendia at 141 again?
3. Johnson doesn't have a redshirt anymore? I thought he grey shirted or something and then lost a year of eligibility with the gambling.
4. Chittum to 165 seems unlikely but I don't know his actual weight, he never seemed huge for 157.
I don’t think any of these are 100% true

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yes Paniro grayshirted his 1st year. And this past year was a loss on eligibility unless he petitioned the NCAA to use it as redshirt

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This bit was interesting:

He attributed his struggles to a broken finger from before the tournament began, but Dresser challenged that a bit the next day.

"Yonger just didn't have a good weekend," Dresser said. "That's on Yonger, he's gotta figure that out."

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
I also am always very confused when people refer to David Carr as a 5 time AA. He's won 4 medals right? But we count the Covid year as an AA for him? Seems confusing when you're potentially going to have someone like Starocci (and others, he was just the first that came to mind) who actually compete in 5 NCAA's.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I also am always very confused when people refer to David Carr as a 5 time AA. He's won 4 medals right? But we count the Covid year as an AA for him? Seems confusing when you're potentially going to have someone like Starocci (and others, he was just the first that came to mind) who actually compete in 5 NCAA's.
They did name All Americans that year through the NCWA (National Wrestling Coaches Association), so he is a 5x AA, but I get it since the NCAA championships wasn't wrestled he is kinda just a 4 timer.

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
I like Eli a lot but he should’ve gotten dressers ok first to make sure everything was correct. No way that is the lineup that goes out. In a perfect world it would be but us die hard no it 100% won’t be that. Eli is new and I’ll give him a break.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
This bit was interesting:

He attributed his struggles to a broken finger from before the tournament began, but Dresser challenged that a bit the next day.

"Yonger just didn't have a good weekend," Dresser said. "That's on Yonger, he's gotta figure that out."
Dresser addressed it in @jcordova8 video posted after that session that night. Basically says "Yonger has to figure out how to get up when things don't go your way and he didn't do a very good job of that today" ....I'm guessing behind the scenes dresser wanted to say "quit being am orange"

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
They did name All Americans that year through the NCWA (National Wrestling Coaches Association), so he is a 5x AA, but I get it since the NCAA championships wasn't wrestled he is kinda just a 4 timer.

Yeah I get that's what was done, but Carr could feasibly come back if he wanted right? I get that he isn't but he could if he wanted? Then he would be a 6 time AA? Just seems so confusing to me why they did it like that.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Yeah I get that's what was done, but Carr could feasibly come back if he wanted right? I get that he isn't but he could if he wanted? Then he would be a 6 time AA? Just seems so confusing to me why they did it like that.
No. Normally it's 5 years to wrestle 4 (4 competition + 1 redshirt) unless there is an extra year granted for an injury or an Olympic redshirt year. With COVID, it became 6 years to wrestle 5. David used his redshirt his first year and used his extra COVID year this year, so he has done his 5 years of competition in 6 years.

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
No. Normally it's 5 years to wrestle 4 (4 competition + 1 redshirt) unless there is an extra year granted for an injury or an Olympic redshirt year. With COVID, it became 6 years to wrestle 5. David used his redshirt his first year and used his extra COVID year this year, so he has done his 5 years of competition in 6 years.
I see, thanks for clearing that up, has always confused me.

Reactions: Mead For My Horses

Help Support Us

Become a patron