Next years lineup

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Can u please leave....your trolling is getting old. I could care less if KJ is here next season but to not see the potential we have with next season's team shows your true colors. Just leave!
Wow! Don't be so defensive. I asked a legit question. I see one, maybe 2 AAs in that lineup. What do you see?

• Disagree
Reactions: matclone

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Wow! Don't be so defensive. I asked a legit question. I see one, maybe 2 AAs in that lineup. What do you see?
If you don't see AA potential from vega, Simmons, a healthy Dante, diblasi, colbray and even gremmel then you don't follow wrestling and are hoping for the worst when it comes to ISU wrestling. If ISU doesn't have at least 4 AA in 2018 then KJ will be gone and you will be happy.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
If you don't see AA potential from vega, Simmons, a healthy Dante, diblasi, colbray and even gremmel then you don't follow wrestling and are hoping for the worst when it comes to ISU wrestling. If ISU doesn't have at least 4 AA in 2018 then KJ will be gone and you will be happy.
I've seen most of those guys wrestle this year, and zero wins or matches that make me think they will AA next year (minus storr). I think Dante could, but he wasn't listed in Buf's lineup.

I'm not hoping for the worst, I'm being realistic. You're obviously just hoping for the best. $100 to the CWC says 0 of the guys you listed AA next year. Dante doesn't count because he wasn't in the lineup that started this conversation.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've seen most of those guys wrestle this year, and zero wins or matches that make me think they will AA next year (minus storr). I think Dante could, but he wasn't listed in Buf's lineup.

I'm not hoping for the worst, I'm being realistic. You're obviously just hoping for the best. $100 to the CWC says 0 of the guys you listed AA next year. Dante doesn't count because he wasn't in the lineup that started this conversation.

I would take your side on this bet. Sure, if those guys wrestled at their full potential they could all be AA next year, but when have you seen guys under KJ wrestle to their full potential?

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: jmb1498 and Judoka

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Vega has been getting beaten soundly. Simmons' results have been mixed and has been absent at times. Diblasi didn't place at Midlands. Colbray is a great prospect but has barely wrestled. Gremmel isn't at AA level and will be lucky to even be on the team. Dante has also had mixed results when in lineup.

Not getting a lot of warm thoughts about AAs out of that group. I don't know why 4 AAs in 2018 is suddenly a benchmark. As if he's going to be let go with 3. Doesn't seem that realistic.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Vega has been getting beaten soundly. Simmons' results have been mixed and has been absent at times. Diblasi didn't place at Midlands. Colbray is a great prospect but has barely wrestled. Gremmel isn't at AA level and will be lucky to even be on the team. Dante has also had mixed results when in lineup.

Not getting a lot of warm thoughts about AAs out of that group. I don't know why 4 AAs in 2018 is suddenly a benchmark. As if he's going to be let go with 3. Doesn't seem that realistic.

I'd say 2018 has likely AA in Downey and Storr, potential in Simmons and Pestano (assuming his issues are mostly weight related and 174 clears out a lot after this year).

However, if you're talking an AA in their ISU career, add Vega, Gomez, Veerk, Allar, Colbray as likely and Gremmal, Parker, DiBlassi, Coleman, and Smith as potential.

I have wanted to git rid of Jackson for at least the last 4 years, but even I can see that's more talent in the room than he has ever had to work with.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My personal take is that high school studs are often hyped beyond reasonable expectations and it's harder than heck to achieve AA status. I can remember talking to a bunch of guys from CA at nationals and they were telling me about a high school senior who would "win this tournament this year". They were referring to Jason Welch who had a successful career but didn't exactly win the tournament 4 times.

Another time I was visiting with a bunch of long time Minnesota fans and I told them I was mad because they stole a recruit from our state named Mack Reiter. They proceeded to tell me about this other stud recruit at the same weight and told me Mack would probably never be a starter for them.

My point is that you never know when someone is going to pan out.

I hope the ISU guys mentioned can all become AA next year but I wouldn't take the bet.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87 and jmb1498

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My comments for the RS are based on coaches and kids in the room and not based on some expert trackwrestling results evaluation. I don't expect all of the kids I listed to be an AA but with finally having talent and some depth at almost every weight next year kids will either develop or will not be wrestling. That has been the problem with the current Seniors. They had no one in the room pushing them for the most part and had no one to lead them. Coaches can only do so much. They need kids that will take it upon themselves to develop. The current staff, which has only been together for 2 years, are clicking on the recruiting and showing development growth on several young guys. They are developing Simmons (except weight issue), Straw, DiBlasi, Storr and Parker (has had 1 or 2 bad matches but has been real solid the rest of the time). The sample size is too small for the rest but I can almost guarantee if Vega can put on 5 or so pounds fans will be extremely happy with him next season.

I understand that KJ has been here for 7-8 years but he and the previuos staff's made a lot of recruiting mistakes early on which put the program way behind. I was at Midlands and beyond disgusted with the effort from most of the wrestlers. Then I realized it was mostly the older kids. Powell and Larson both gave great effort but are limited on what they are capable of doing. Talking about development, Powell has turned into a very nice back-up wrestler given his ability. But for the most part all the young guys wrestled hard and above their seeds except Harrington.

It would not upset me if a coaching change is made but it would upset me if we are not able to get an elite coach (Cael Sanderson, Smith, Brands and Ryan), potential elite coach (Popolizio, Pritzlaff, Taylor or Burroughs) then they better keep Paulson(s). Coaching is 80% recruiting and this is one of the biggest reasons Cael took the PSU jobs because it was easier to get the top recruits. These are about the only coaches currently in the sport that I believe could bring the type of athletes needed to make ISU successful (Top 5 with shot a title most years). The current staff (i.e., Paulsons) are showing they can bring those athletes to ISU.

Finally, I don't want your $ but CWC would appreciate the $ so they can continue to keep top training partners and coaches, i.e. Gadsen, Bradley and Angel.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I'd say 2018 has likely AA in Downey and Storr, potential in Simmons and Pestano (assuming his issues are mostly weight related and 174 clears out a lot after this year).

However, if you're talking an AA in their ISU career, add Vega, Gomez, Veerk, Allar, Colbray as likely and Gremmal, Parker, DiBlassi, Coleman, and Smith as potential.

I have wanted to git rid of Jackson for at least the last 4 years, but even I can see that's more talent in the room than he has ever had to work with.

Storr is a real talent and I think he's going to win a ton of matches for us and be on the podium several times. But he's a good example of why AA status shouldn't be just thrown around. He had a good Midlands. He really did. But at the end of the day he was 5th. And not only are most of the top 141 pounders underclassmen, he also finished behind another true frosh redshirt. Again, Storr is an excellent feather in the cap of our coaching staff. A great find. But though he has a chance even he shouldn't be considered a "likely" AA next year.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Storr is a real talent and I think he's going to win a ton of matches for us and be on the podium several times. But he's a good example of why AA status shouldn't be just thrown around. He had a good Midlands. He really did. But at the end of the day he was 5th. And not only are most of the top 141 pounders underclassmen, he also finished behind another true frosh redshirt. Again, Storr is an excellent feather in the cap of our coaching staff. A great find. But though he has a chance even he shouldn't be considered a "likely" AA next year.

You're probably right, he should probably be moved to the 'potential' column. For some reason, I was thinking his match with Jack was closer. I was basing it on being right there with the 4-8 level wrestlers this year Ashault, Jack, Thorn, etc, but you're right he might be a little further away.

• Creative
Reactions: NEICyFan

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Very few are considered likely AA & nobody is a guaranteed AA. If you go to all the message boards and add up all the likely AA's, there is about 12+ at every weight. Injuries and upsets play such a major role in most guys path to AA. McDonough was a guaranteed AA & injuries kept him from AA.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
STARTERS / BACKUPS
125 Vega fr
133 Simmons so/Parker fr
141 Storr fr
149 Rodriguez jr/Straw so
157 DiBlasi so/Babtista fr
165 Allar fr #30/Brientenbach jr
174 Pestano sr
184 Downey sr
197 Colbray fr/Harrington jr
285 Gremmel fr/Nolting so

Redshirt:
133 Gomez #10 (#2@132)
141/149 Leisure (#20@145)
149 Verkerleen #12 (#2@145)
165/174 Smith #49 (#8@170)
174/184 Coleman #68 (#9@170)

2018 Recruits:
125 Kamal
141 W DiBlasi

Last edited:

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
125 Vega fr
133 Simmons so/Parker fr
141 Storr fr
149 Rodriguez jr
157 DiBlasi so
165 Allar fr #30 (#2@160)
174 Pestano sr
184 Downey sr
197 Colbray fr/Harrington jr
285 Gremmel fr/Nolting so

Redshirt:
133 Gomez #10 (#2@132)
141/149 Leisure (#20@145)
149 Verkerleen #12 (#2@145)
165/174 Smith #49 (#8@170)
174/184 Coleman #68 (#9@170)
On paper that's a damn good line up

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
On paper, but history shows you can never predict our lineup. Hell, KJ can't ever plan his lineup.

I'm afraid Gremmel will never see the lineup and I hope there is a recruiting plan for this!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
On paper, but history shows you can never predict our lineup. Hell, KJ can't ever plan his lineup.

I'm afraid Gremmel will never see the lineup and I hope there is a recruiting plan for this!

There is Gable Steveson. But I think he ends up at Minnesota with his brother. Then we look to Nolting. Need to get him healthy and on the mat. We also have Silberstein

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
There is Gable Steveson. But I think he ends up at Minnesota with his brother. Then we look to Nolting. Need to get him healthy and on the mat. We also have Silberstein
Would be awesome to get Steveson, but as you mentioned, that's likely a long shot. I have seen nothing from Nolting or Silberstein that makes me think we will be any better than our last 4 years at 285. Hopefully someone steps up or we get a late addition "Weatherspoon type" that surprises! Only other thing I see is one of our 197lbers moving up. If I were confident in our Strength and Conditioning program, that might be the best option.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Nolting and Silberstien have struggled to stay healthy, so we haven't seen much out of them to get an indication of where they are at. I know they were talking to Seth Janney, Shawn Shreck, Tate Orndorff, Austin Myers, and Carter Isley in the last couple years. How hard they pursued each, I am not sure.