JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jan 11, 2020; Ames, Iowa, USA; Iowa State Cyclones forward George Conditt IV (4) dunks against the Oklahoma Sooners at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones beat the Sooners 81 to 68. Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

The focus of the Iowa State men’s basketball team’s first five practices has been clear cut.

Get better defensively.

It makes sense when you consider the Cyclones ended last season as the Big 12’s worst in adjusted defense, according to KenPom. In a league that featured four of the nation’s top-10 teams in that same category, Iowa State was nowhere near the level required for success.

Steve Prohm and his staff have made clear that must change in order to reverse last season’s 12-20 and ninth place in the Big 12 finish.

“I think there’s been a major defensive emphasis,” Prohm said during a Zoom call with reporters on Wednesday. “Obviously, transition defense, ball-screen defense, playing in disadvantaged situation, making multiple...

Continue reading...

Reactions: Neptune78

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Oh great here we go. Why does Cyclone media do this to us every year?
Yep, sounds like the same emphasis as last year... I hope guys' PT is affected by whether they're "on the D bus" or not. It wasn't last year. Additional length of new players to the team (except speedy Harris) will help too, but desire/effort has to be there on D.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Offense is the fun thing to work on as a player, so kids will do it on their own. Take the practice time to focus on defense, I appreciate it!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Offense is the fun thing to work on as a player, so kids will do it on their own. Take the practice time to focus on defense, I appreciate it!
Back in the day Eustachy teams really didn't work on any offense until the start of the Big 12 season. At least that is what he said. I think he might have worked on it before Iowa, but the point remains.

• Agree
Reactions: algonacy

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Does Randy only asking questions about Halliburton mean he’s making the jump to only covering the NBA? Fingers crossed.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I sure hope we aren't running the same defense as last yr. The "Ole!" defense sure didn't work last yr. I'm getting tired of hearing about defensive emphasis, then never seeing it on the court.

12-20 that sure as heck sends you towards the "seat is getting warm" line. Last yrs team never had any identity at all IMO other than inconsistent offense and a defense softer than Charmin. Hopefully Prohm can plug the holes in this ship before it finishes sinking.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
What I appreciate is the fact that Prohm knows this is an issue and he is trying to correct it. He may get it wrong many times, but at least he's not just trying to ignore it and just continue to work on offense. I have not been a Prohm supporter, but I have noticed that areas he's shown weakness in, he tries hard to improve them. I hope he fixes these issues because you can tell he wants to be a Cyclone for the long term.

Reactions: NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I sure hope we aren't running the same defense as last yr. The "Ole!" defense sure didn't work last yr. I'm getting tired of hearing about defensive emphasis, then never seeing it on the court.

12-20 that sure as heck sends you towards the "seat is getting warm" line. Last yrs team never had any identity at all IMO other than inconsistent offense and a defense softer than Charmin. Hopefully Prohm can plug the holes in this ship before it finishes sinking.

Shut up, Dorn.

Reactions: Pat

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think the big difference is that it seems like the team has the personnel to have a solid defense whereas in the past it just wasn't going to happen.

I love Georges Niang, but he wasn't exactly an all-defense type of player.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Shut up, Dorn.

Meh, I like Prohm a lot as a person but 12-20 doesn't cut it in keeping my Cyclone fandom happy. I want him to turn it around as much as anybody, but last yrs team sure seemed to lack buy in as a group who wanted to play BB together.

Edit also had to movie quote the reference, fun movie that I like a lot.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Yeah, between Hoiberg and Prohm I'm just not going to ever be optimistic that the Iowa State defense will be anything better than average at best.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Did Floyd know what offense was?
Much moreso than LE. Without Tinsley to break down defenses, LE's offenses weren't good at all at ISU and there were similar complaints about his offenses at Utah State and Colorado State, especially when he didn't have a PG who could break defenses down off the dribble.

TF's half court offense made stars out of Fred, Meyer, Dedric and Pratt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron