Noteworthy Bracket Updates

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Figured I'd start a thread that includes some noteworthy news on teams as the tourney kicks off that might be helpful for picking brackets or switching picks.

For instance...if this is true this is big for the BYU game as the Duquense players will be playing for their coach in his last hoorah.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Bumping because I love these kinds of stats and are helpful. @bawbie mentioned in another thread that in the KenPom era no team under 100 in Adjusted Defense has made the Sweet 16. That means take notice of Alabama this year.

Another is that Duke hasn't beaten a top 40 NET team since late January.

Any other stats that are worth noting?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bumping because I love these kinds of stats and are helpful. @bawbie mentioned in another thread that in the KenPom era no team under 100 in Adjusted Defense has made the Sweet 16. That means take notice of Alabama this year.

Another is that Duke hasn't beaten a top 40 NET team since late January.

Any other stats that are worth noting?
Here's the stat I had heard yesterday:

That applies to Kentucky and Alabama this year, and Illinois is just inside the 100 mark on defense.

The trend was almost broken last year when Miami made the sweet 16 with the 99th ranked defense.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Figured I'd start a thread that includes some noteworthy news on teams as the tourney kicks off that might be helpful for picking brackets or switching picks.

For instance...if this is true this is big for the BYU game as the Duquense players will be playing for their coach in his last hoorah.

Dambrot has not won a game in the NCAA Tournament. That'd be something if it occurred this year, then he retired.

As long as he doesn't win too many games in this tournament, that is. :)

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Definitely want nothing to do with BYU in the tourney. They are like someone made a team specifically to beat our team.

I don’t like their chances in the tourney though. Their defense is better than most live-and-die-by-the-three teams but still L&DBT3 is a tough way to get far in a single-elimination tourney.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Definitely want nothing to do with BYU in the tourney. They are like someone made a team specifically to beat our team.

I don’t like their chances in the tourney though. Their defense is better than most live-and-die-by-the-three teams but still L&DBT3 is a tough way to get far in a single-elimination tourney.
they also aren't good away from home

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We keep saying this, but they gave us all we wanted in Hilton just a few weeks ago.
but...they didn't win. I am by no means saying they aren't good and I'll be rooting for Duquense and Illinois to beat them if they face them but I just am not AS worried as I was a few days ago.

Reactions: CloneIce