***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The problem is he can't guard today's 4s so he'd have to be as good offensively as Niang. I just don't see that happening except when you play teams with 2 big guys.

To be fair, on the defensive end, Niang struggled to guard quick 3/4 guys too. Solomon needs to guard a 4/5 for sure at this point, but that doesn't mean he can't play on the perimeter sometimes on offense. That does take a rebounder out of the middle though.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
To be fair, on the defensive end, Niang struggled to guard quick 3/4 guys too. Solomon needs to guard a 4/5 for sure at this point, but that doesn't mean he can't play on the perimeter sometimes on offense. That does take a rebounder out of the middle though.

To add to that, it is precisely with playing two bigs in mind when we speculate whether Young can stretch a defense at the 4. It doesn't mean he has to stay on the perimeter either but can play in the offense at both locations. I point again to the Jeter highlights to see how Young was balanced playing alongside another big. They sometimes took turns at the perimeter.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I know. That was my point. You lived with Georges on the defensive end because he gave you much more offensively than he was giving up even though it wasn't ideal. Young has to be able to do that to play him at the 4 rather than the 5 and you also need someone to play at the 5 that makes moving him out there worth it which I don't think we probably have right now. In the end, I just see him playing almost exclusively at the 5. He had trouble with Swanigan on the perimeter and that's someone he should have been able to guard out there.

But, yeah, I think he has some offensive tools and with the current look of next years roster, being able to play 5 out might be something we need to do to create room inside.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Young has at least another year playing the post before you can use him at the 4, unless you're defending a really big team.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Having 4 solid jump shooters provides flexibility if 1 or 2 wing shooters are having off nights. In watching NCAA Tournament games, there are a lot of offenses that get open 3 point shots for wing players.

One problem with the 4 out/1 in sets that have been commom under Hoiberg & Prohm is they lead to very few offensive rebounds. I also feel that carries over to lack of toughness/technique to being a good defensive rebounding team. With the roster mostly being a Prohm recruited team, I could see a stretch 4 being less critical to our halfcourt offense. I see CSP going after posts who rebound, protect rim and score in the paint to draw in opposition perimeter layers.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we get 40 solid minutes from Young and Lard at the 5 I'll be happy.

We've had fours that have the ability to push the ball up the floor w/ the dribble for an extended period. I don't see that changing.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If we get 40 solid minutes from Young and Lard at the 5 I'll be happy.

We've had fours that have the ability to push the ball up the floor w/ the dribble for an extended period. I don't see that changing.
Perhaps that is something Prohm will take from Hoiball

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

6-7 230lb forward.

13.8 ppg 7.8 rpg 1.0 bpg

Had 17 and 9 when he played against Iowa this year. 20 and 15 vs USC. 10 and 6 vs K State. 18 and 9 vs Pitt. 6 and 7 vs ISU.

Intriguing. I remember watching him play against the Fighting Otz's in their championship. He had a good game against Daum.