MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just stating the truth, 3 years ago Cubs fans we talking about how many World Series they were going to be winning with this group, and how they would be dominating the Central Division for the foreseeable future. Now you are letting your manger walk, after he actually won your first world series in over 100 years.

Defend that all you want, but its silly, enjoy going back to the Lovable losing Cubs, and waiting for next year.

Yeah, its not silly at all. To keep Maddon just because he won us our first World Series in over a century, while ignoring what has happened over the past 3 seasons, would just be personifying a loser mentality. Thankfully, the Cardinals proved that just about any manager can make the World Series in 2014.

• Funny
Reactions: ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This is my feeling too, he's a great manager but probably not the right manager for the current situation this team is in. At some point a new voice is needed when things get stagnant and the Cubs have hit that point. This roster is not a mess but with the right moves this offseason and a fresh perspective from the manager's position they can't get back to winning the division and making a run in October.

This needs to be pinned. So many people acting like the train is derailed

- The window is open
- The roster is talented
- While he’s struggled the last couple years we still have one of the greatest front office presidents in the history of the game

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah, its not silly at all. To keep Maddon just because he won us our first World Series in over a century, while ignoring what has happened over the past 3 seasons, would just be personifying a loser mentality. Thankfully, the Cardinals proved that just about any manager can make the World Series in 2014.

Maddon made the playoffs 4 out 5 years. Lost the wildcard game last year, reached the NL championship series two other years, and won a world series the 4th year.
As to taking a team to the world series, the playoffs are a crab shoot, the Cards have teams that led the league in wins, and did not make the series, and teams that snuck in on the last day with the worst record of the 10 teams and then go on to defeat the Tigers and win a world series.

Your GM wants to run the show, as a Cards fan, I am glad Maddon will be managing the Angels next year.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Maddon made the playoffs 4 out 5 years. Lost the wildcard game last year, reached the NL championship series two other years, and won a world series the 4th year.
As to taking a team to the world series, the playoffs are a crab shoot, the Cards have teams that led the league in wins, and did not make the series, and teams that snuck in on the last day with the worst record of the 10 teams and then go on to defeat the Tigers and win a world series.

Your GM wants to run the show, as a Cards fan, I am glad Maddon will be managing the Angels next year.

I, for one, am shocked a Cardinal fan thinks the Cubs made a poor decision.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
It is amazing that so many of my fellow Cub fans are unwilling to see the real problem with the pitching staff and bullpen. Willson Contreras. He can't frame, he can't call a game, but his worst trait is that he is the laziest catcher at presenting a target. When you are lazier in this area than Geo Soto, you must be bad.

I said it before last season that Willy sucks. I don't even need to say it now. If you are a Cubs fan and are paying attention the PECOTA rankings told you.

Seriously an Algorithm is telling you that with Contreras catching the Cubs suck, yet we keep hearing from all the fan boy apologists.

As long as Contreras is catching for the Cubs they will not be a World Series contender. Pretty sad for a team with a lot of money and window that is open now

Hey where are all the Contreras Fan boys and fan girls now? This was over four years ago. And Cub fan couldn't understand how it had all gone sideways.

In 2022 Gomes and Contreras catching the starting pitchers:

• Justin Steele w/ Contreras - 4.11 ERA in 116 IP / 1.36 ERA in 39.2 IP w/ Gomes
  • Kyle Hendricks w/ Contreras - 5.96 ERA in 45.1 IP / 2.83 ERA in 35 IP w/ Gomes
  • Adrian Sampson w/ Contreras - 3.86 ERA in 37.1 IP / 2.41 ERA in 37.1 IP w/ Gomes
  • Keegan Thompson w/ Contreras - 4.68 ERA in 42.1 IP / 3.24 ERA in 58.1 IP w/ Gomes
  • Marcus Stroman w/ Contreras - 2.79 ERA in 61.1 IP / 2.98 ERA in 45.1 IP w/ Gomes
Of the starting pitchers, Only Marcus Stroman was better with Willy in 2022. The Cardinals are 20th in ERA and 28th in On Base Average. Buhh buhhh buhhh he can throw runners out and has a good pop time. The goal is to keep runners off base, not be good at throwing out some (not all cause all don't run) when they get on. Where the Contreras apologists now?

PS - For those scoring at home I quoted myself from page 6 this thread

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron