****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
New target...
6"7" wing out of Canada.

@BLUEChip_Miller Iowa State was in today to see Gabriel Osabuohien (@GO22_LT), a 2017 wing out of Southwest Christian Academy in Arkansas.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabriel-osabuohien

Forward Gabriel Osabuohien wanted increased exposure to college coaches and he feels like he's accomplished that by enrolling at Southwest Christian Academy in Little Rock.

Osabuohien, 6-8, 215, of Toronto arrived in Arkansas in August and has seen interest from schools like Arkansas, Missouri, TCU, UALR, Western Kentucky, St. Bonaventure and others.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc and FinalFourCy

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Forward Gabriel Osabuohien wanted increased exposure to college coaches and he feels like he's accomplished that by enrolling at Southwest Christian Academy in Little Rock.

Osabuohien, 6-8, 215, of Toronto arrived in Arkansas in August and has seen interest from schools like Arkansas, Missouri, TCU, UALR, Western Kentucky, St. Bonaventure and others.

I wonder why no offers?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
All I could find was an offer from ALR. I get the feeling the staff might skip grad transfers altogether and go all in on 2018. I don't mind that either.
I think they almost have to take at least one grad transfer, or they'll have to bank one or two scholarships, because I don't think you want to go through next year's recruiting process with just one scholarship available.

• Agree
Reactions: CyKings

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I wonder why no offers?

Maybe eligibility concerns? yeah I just saw a tweet that said coaches that have watched him want him to work on his outside shot and his schoolwork, i.e. they don't think he will be eligible. But maybe things have changed?

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
That Gabriel kid looks like a good athlete, he is strong, and looks like he would be someone they could use as a 4. Also appears to have a decent outside shot.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Maybe eligibility concerns? yeah I just saw a tweet that said coaches that have watched him want him to work on his outside shot and his schoolwork, i.e. they don't think he will be eligible. But maybe things have changed?

If he does end up at JUCO and blows up at least we were in early and can play that card when recruiting.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Nice find, He looks bigger than 215

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think they almost have to take at least one grad transfer, or they'll have to bank one or two scholarships, because I don't think you want to go through next year's recruiting process with just one scholarship available.

I'd agree 2 JuCo's/I grad transfer to balance the class and give next years team some mature experienced players to help the Freshman and Sophomores develop. Hold the final scholarship for traditional or mid-year/transfer/JuCo/bank. Prohm would be open next year with 2 scholarships to start next years recruiting cycle (if there was no attrition during the year).

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'd agree 2 JuCo's/I grad transfer to balance the class and give next years team some mature experienced players to help the Freshman and Sophomores develop. Hold the final scholarship for traditional or mid-year/transfer/JuCo/bank. Prohm would be open next year with 2 scholarships to start next years recruiting cycle (if there was no attrition during the year).
Bingo! Spot on analysis. This spring's success will determine our ceiling for next year. Right now we are too young and lacking in scoring ability to be a tourney team.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
One of Fred's greatest attributes was going all-in for the next season and not accepting the antiquated "build" for x approach

Sort of, I believe Fred did discuss RS option with Garrett but ultimately decided not to. He fully realized year on would be a struggle with only 3 scholarship returners an the high level talent cheering on the bench. Garrett went on to star that year after 3 non descript years. In retrospect he would have won a lot more waiting a year but was able to get a short time in the NBA being the man on that team. It was the right choice at the time.

We have to remember there was a lot of question about how Fred's first crop of transfers would work out at ISU. Not to mention the expectation from a lot of people that Royce wouldn't stay at ISU for his sit out year due to his issues and play in Hilton. Obviously he proved the doubters wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron