****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We need guys that can make and create. Imo ideally that comes from a grad transfer pg and a four. A scoring pg can always play off ball.

IMO we have plenty of PG's in Jackson, Wigginton and Weiler-Babb. We need shooting guards with length - they can get their shots even while closely and provide a taller defender for opposing shooters to shoot over.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
We have some nice guards in Jackson, Weiler-Babb, Long, Wigginton and McNeil- but is there 2-3 stud 3 point shooter in the group? If the coaching staff can say yes, then we don't need another guard this spring. If they have doubts, then I think we go after a 6'3"-6-5" SG/SF.

Exactly....we have some really good guards. We are not going to have a Monte Morris so people will have to get over that. I can see another good 6'6" aggressive combo like Lewis but at the end of the day we need depth at the post. We need two large board crashing rim protectors. I do not want to see another year getting our asses kicked at the rim especially post conference during tournament play.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We need a big experienced scoring perimeter player and coaches have came out and said that. We have scoring guards in Jackson and Wigginton already we need a bigger scoring guard/wing
What is your opinion on Lewis next year? Can he fill some of the scoring from the wing position?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Between him, Babb, Wigginton, Jackson, etc we have a lot of guys that can play the 2 or 3. That's a luxury need. We THINK we have guys that can play pg.
Until a PG is pursued this spring and I highly doubt that happens, the staff is fine with the projected PGs next season based on CSP's latest comments. The "We THINK" crowd may only include you.

• Agree

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Until a PG is pursued this spring and I highly doubt that happens, the staff is fine with the projected PGs next season based on CSP's latest comments. The "We THINK" crowd may only include you.
Prohm won't know either until next year. Hopefully this spring is better for him than last year's!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This isn't hard to figure out. As far as scoring goes:

Morris is replaced by Wigginton. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Mitrou-Long is replaced by Jackson. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Thomas is replaced by ________. Need to replace 12 ppg
Burton is replaced by _________. Need to replace 14 ppg
Young is replaced by Young with increased usage. Likely gain 4-6 ppg.

Obviously this isn't a perfect formula as we could be better defensively, guys will have new roles, but you can get a sense of what we need to replace if we're going to get back to the tournament. Juiston would be a nice replacement for Burton. I'm hoping for a high-level grad transfer 2/3 that can get buckets, plain and simple. Then add the best available player from JUCO (maybe Edwards) or another grad transfer. I'm looking forward to next season, but it's hard to imagine a team losing that much production will be safely in the tournament.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Ajg515

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This isn't hard to figure out. As far as scoring goes:

Morris is replaced by Wigginton. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Mitrou-Long is replaced by Jackson. Likely lose 1-4 ppg
Thomas is replaced by ________. Need to replace 12 ppg
Burton is replaced by _________. Need to replace 14 ppg
Young is replaced by Young with increased usage. Likely gain 4-6 ppg.

Obviously this isn't a perfect formula as we could be better defensively, guys will have new roles, but you can get a sense of what we need to replace if we're going to get back to the tournament. Juiston would be a nice replacement for Burton. I'm hoping for a high-level grad transfer 2/3 that can get buckets, plain and simple. Then add the best available player from JUCO (maybe Edwards) or another grad transfer. I'm looking forward to next season, but it's hard to imagine a team losing that much production will be safely in the tournament.
I'll be very happy if Wigginton scores only 1-4 ppg less than Morris

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Between him, Babb, Wigginton, Jackson, etc we have a lot of guys that can play the 2 or 3. That's a luxury need. We THINK we have guys that can play pg.

Disagree. We have seen DJ play the pg position and do it well. We have also seen hi shoot well from the off guard position. While I am not about copying Kansas, having Mason and Graham both play the point is what we have the flexibility to do with Monte and Naz, or even with DJ when he subbed in. At times, Monte played off the ball. Wiggington may have played off ball in HS some, but if he wants to get to the NBA he will likely need to do it as a PG. When Monte came back, DJ almost didn't come here. While I am all for great ball handlers, I like the idea of another taller 2-3 that can defend multiple positions and score from the wing.

I do, however, place an even higher priority on rebounding/scoring big. Clone me an Ejim or Hogue and I would be a happy camper. I know, you say Captain Obvious as everyone would take the Big 12 player of the year, but I am even talking about Ejim as a sophomore or junior.

• Agree

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Agreed. Asking Wiggington to score 12-15ppg next year is asking a lot.

Charlie Moore, 5'11" 160, was rated #55 in 2016 by Rivals and scored 12.2 ppg this past season at Cal.

Lindell, 6'1 185, is #31 according to the same service at essentially the same position.

I picked Moore because we recruited him a little so most who follow this stuff would be familiar with him.

That kind of output, considering what we have coming back, isn't crazy.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Charlie Moore, 5'11" 160, was rated #55 in 2016 by Rivals and scored 12.2 ppg this past season at Cal.

Lindell, 6'1 185, is #31 according to the same service at essentially the same position.

I picked Moore because we recruited him so most who follow his stuff would be familiar with him.

That kind of output, considering what we have coming back, isn't crazy.
Halstead had an article on this:
https://iowastate.247sports.com/Art...ll-point-guard-and-Iowa-State-si-51877703/Amp

Our offense is going to have some serious growing pains as Jackson and Wigginton learn the score/pg balance

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I guess I'm a lot more bullish on what Wigginton is going to average next year than others.

I expect him to be our leading scorer or at least pretty damn close to it. It wouldn't shock me to see him close to 15 PPG with a couple 20+ point outbursts next year. He's going to have the ball in his hands a lot.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good article. One I hadn't seen. Interesting that Moore was highlighted due to usage. Was the same premise I used when putting together the comp. I expect Wigginton will have a usage rate in a similar range.
Usage helps, but that's not always a good thing.
If he has that high of usage I actually hope Babb's improved enough to handle some of mundane parts of the pg duties.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I guess I'm a lot more bullish on what Wigginton is going to average next year than others.

I expect him to be our leading scorer or at least pretty damn close to it. It wouldn't shock me to see him close to 15 PPG with a couple 20+ point outbursts next year. He's going to have the ball in his hands a lot.

Me too. He's got a lot of things going for him. Opportunity, college ready body, lots of experience against great talent, and coach Prohm who has made things work with freshman guards in the past.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron