Official Fishing Thread...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Disclaimer: if your response to this is to mention how stupid fishing is, I don't disagree with you. It involves using different materials tied to a string to catch small brained fish, and often we're not successful. And I love it, and for reasons far beyond the catching.

Anyway, any fisherfolks out there that want to talk fishing?

River Monsters came up in a thread yesterday and it got me thinking about more discussion on the subject.

Perhaps a place to discuss stories, theory, places you've fished/would like to fish, etc.

Me, I've fished all my life and the last few years have morphed into strictly fly fishing, and last year I bought a rec kayak to offer more opportunities for exploring more places.

I live out of state but in recent years have renewed my appreciation for the streams in Iowa and make it a point to get back occasionally to make sure it's all still there.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Best time I've ever had fishing was conoeing through the Boundary Waters. For outdoorsy people, its really tough to beat conoeing, backpacking, and camping around the Boundary Waters. Water so clear you can see fish 50+ feet deep and so remote that you'll go an entire week without seeing another person outside of your group. I need to go back ASAP.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Streams in NE Iowa were busy with trout fishers last weekend. I don't have a trout stamp but saw a lot of people out.

Bass and walleye have been good out of rivers around here.

Reactions: cyfan21

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Kids got some crappie on Sunday, but guessing they will slow down a bit as cold as it is right now.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Went to a small pond on public land Saturday and a group of 3 of us brought back 19 really nice bluegills. Most were around inches. Could've had more but it was a small pond so felt bad taking anymore.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
My lady and I both love fishing. We aren't fancy at all, just worms and some cheap fishing rods. I would like to try ice fishing sometime. I would also like to go to the boundary waters, but only if I go with fatter, slower people that I can outrun when bears attack.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I fish MacBride and Palo a lot. have not been out this spring but have boat ready to go. Have week long trip planned for Ashland, WI in mid May. Supposed to be world class smallmouth waters. Large bay off of Lake Superior just south of Apostle Islands. Anyone ever fished their before?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I go on fishing trips 3 or 4 times a year including ice fishing. We have a family member that has a house up in NE South Dakota Glacial Lakes region. It really spoils fishing around here in Iowa. Catch tons of nice walleye, small mouths, white bass, perch and other odd species. Also, go to the Missouri River reservoirs sometimes in central SD.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I fish MacBride and Palo a lot. have not been out this spring but have boat ready to go. Have week long trip planned for Ashland, WI in mid May. Supposed to be world class smallmouth waters. Large bay off of Lake Superior just south of Apostle Islands. Anyone ever fished their before?

Is Pleasant Creek open? I know they were redoing a lot of it.

Never fished the Apostles but great area.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Can't wait for opener here in MN. Just got my boat out of storage this past weekend when weather was so nice and got it all ready to go.... I got the fishing itch big time!! And then it started snowing here this morning! Ugh. But, I'm headed to the St. Croix river for the Walleye opener in a couple weeks. Hopefully the bite will be on.

Side note - just read an article last week where the Iowa DNR (or whatever it's called there) netted a huge walleye out of Big Creek Lake recently while they were doing some surveying. Somebody go get that hog!

http://wqad.com/2017/04/06/massive-12-pound-walleye-caught-in-iowa-lake/

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Best time I've ever had fishing was conoeing through the Boundary Waters. For outdoorsy people, its really tough to beat conoeing, backpacking, and camping around the Boundary Waters. Water so clear you can see fish 50+ feet deep and so remote that you'll go an entire week without seeing another person outside of your group. I need to go back ASAP.
Agreed.
I was able to go to walleye opener 4 years ago and we slayed them. Everyone was catching their limit.
I'm headed to the Quetico for a trip this summer, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to snag a license for the week I'm up there.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Is Pleasant Creek open? I know they were redoing a lot of it.

Never fished the Apostles but great area.

Pleasant Creek is technically open but water is still 12+ feet low. Main boat ramp has rock to extend it and the two west boat ramps have been replaced. DNR says it may take years to get back to full. Have not been over to look at it but saw a presentation at local boat show this winter and they added a crap ton of habitat. Tons of large rock and trees. islands, sunken islands, etc.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron