Official Fishing Thread...

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Fishing in Canada is always a great time:

Yes, it is. This was taken in a lake about 50 miles from the Hudson Bay in Manitoba.
1929159_544176364210_2244_n.jpg

I should probably do more trout fishing, living in Colorado, but I have intentionally held myself back from learning to fly fish because I know I'll like it too much. Get a few days ice fishing in every year, and do some spinner fishing when I go camping and get a chance.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Pleasant Creek is technically open but water is still 12+ feet low. Main boat ramp has rock to extend it and the two west boat ramps have been replaced. DNR says it may take years to get back to full. Have not been over to look at it but saw a presentation at local boat show this winter and they added a crap ton of habitat. Tons of large rock and trees. islands, sunken islands, etc.

I used to go there all the time, but I hadn't had a lot of luck from the shoreline because the water around the fishing jetties and at the dam had gotten so shallow. Had no idea that the were doing the renovations. May have to get over there and check it out if the weather ever gets back to normal.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I have 2 ponds, both fully stocked (catfish, blue gill, crappie, bass,etc.) but unfortunately because of my racing I never have time to fish. There are some pretty big catfish in there (I've seen someone catch one that was 3 feet long). My wife is worried that because I never fish them they are going to become over populated.

So if anyone wants to fish sometime out by the Newton area, just let me know. The only fee is that I want some fillets to eat.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have 2 ponds, both fully stocked (catfish, blue gill, crappie, bass,etc.) but unfortunately because of my racing I never have time to fish. There are some pretty big catfish in there (I've seen someone catch one that was 3 feet long). My wife is worried that because I never fish them they are going to become over populated.

So if anyone wants to fish sometime out by the Newton area, just let me know. The only fee is that I want some fillets to eat.

If you are worried about over popukation, have them keep crappie and smaller bass. Those are the types that tend to overpopulate and keep the other fish from growing big.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Caught a nice mess of spring crappie right before this cold front hit.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

If I end up taking a job in Newton I'm going to take you up on this.

Like the thread OP. Live to fish. With it being my last semester things have been crazy and I didn't get to fish the walleye spawn in Storm Lake like I do every year. Headed to Stockton Lake in MO for my graduation gift the week after finals. Hope to get into some nice walleyes and crappie. Will post here with pictures.

Reactions: sadam and CloneIce

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Streams in NE Iowa were busy with trout fishers last weekend. I don't have a trout stamp but saw a lot of people out.

Bass and walleye have been good out of rivers around here.

I'm planning to go trout fishing at Yellow River in NE Iowa here in a couple of weeks. Always a lot of fun up there. Hopefully the weather warms back up a little by then. Just picked up my fishing license and trout stamp today. Something like $31.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If I end up taking a job in Newton I'm going to take you up on this.

Like the thread OP. Live to fish. With it being my last semester things have been crazy and I didn't get to fish the walleye spawn in Storm Lake like I do every year. Headed to Stockton Lake in MO for my graduation gift the week after finals. Hope to get into some nice walleyes and crappie. Will post here with pictures.

That's fine just PM me

Reactions: CloneFan4

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pleasant Creek is technically open but water is still 12+ feet low. Main boat ramp has rock to extend it and the two west boat ramps have been replaced. DNR says it may take years to get back to full. Have not been over to look at it but saw a presentation at local boat show this winter and they added a crap ton of habitat. Tons of large rock and trees. islands, sunken islands, etc.

Pleasant Creek! That mention gave me a Throwback Thursday moment. Pictured below is me working at Smith-Voorhees-Jensen (architects/planners/engineers) back in the 1970's. On the wall behind the guy in the background is one of the first design schemes for the recreation areas around the reservoir. Another guy and I designed most of road and recreation area layouts, the boat ramps, beach, fishing piers and rock groins. This and the Des Moines Botanical Center are probably the best things I worked on in Iowa before I migrated north.

boxster at SVJ.jpg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I fish MacBride and Palo a lot. have not been out this spring but have boat ready to go. Have week long trip planned for Ashland, WI in mid May. Supposed to be world class smallmouth waters. Large bay off of Lake Superior just south of Apostle Islands. Anyone ever fished their before?

Won't that be too late for the smelt run? I never did it but knew people who did. Go set a seine drink a bunch of beer then drag it back out. Usually right after ice out if I remember right.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, it is. This was taken in a lake about 50 miles from the Hudson Bay in Manitoba.
1929159_544176364210_2244_n.jpg

I should probably do more trout fishing, living in Colorado, but I have intentionally held myself back from learning to fly fish because I know I'll like it too much. Get a few days ice fishing in every year, and do some spinner fishing when I go camping and get a chance.

Nice pike!

I fought fly fishing too but once I learned how things work, I became addicted. If you need tips on how to partake without breaking the bank, let me know. I catch plenty of trout using dog hair or burlap tied to a hook. :)

Otherwise I've caught pretty much most midwestern species of fish with a fly rod.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm planning to go trout fishing at Yellow River in NE Iowa here in a couple of weeks. Always a lot of fun up there. Hopefully the weather warms back up a little by then. Just picked up my fishing license and trout stamp today. Something like $31.

Love Yellow River. One of the few places I can limit out with something other than Rainbows. Last time time I was there ended up with 4 decent brooks and a nice brown. Good luck!

Reactions: bsaltyman

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Won't that be too late for the smelt run? I never did it but knew people who did. Go set a seine drink a bunch of beer then drag it back out. Usually right after ice out if I remember right.

Not looking for smelt, May and early June are supposed to be great for small mouth, good for walleye, and fair for Northern.

Reactions: NWICY

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Hmm...Fishing. It is sort of my nemesis. I frequently fish West Lake Okoboji but I really have no clue on what I am doing. I am pretty good at helping my kids catch tiny bluegills off the dock tiny hook and redworms, but I have never had success at catching anything else. I usually resort to Rapella's but I know there has to be a better way.

I've tried using a texas rig, but gave up after little success.

Any suggestions on where I can learn different techniques for dock fishing?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hmm...Fishing. It is sort of my nemesis. I frequently fish West Lake Okoboji but I really have no clue on what I am doing. I am pretty good at helping my kids catch tiny bluegills off the dock tiny hook and redworms, but I have never had success at catching anything else. I usually resort to Rapella's but I know there has to be a better way.

I've tried using a texas rig, but gave up after little success.

Any suggestions on where I can learn different techniques for dock fishing?

If it's May or June fish tend to be shallow. If I were to go back and fish West Okoboji and had live bait I'd use a hook with no bobber and let it drift and reel back slowly, or throw a marabou jig or something similar and do the same. Bobbers limit natural movement. Think about how slowly fish food drifts down to the bottom of a fish tank and how the fish seem to appreciate the 'chase'. Just theoretical stuff but it's worked for me in the past in lakes.

West Oki was nice because if the fish weren't biting we'd snorkel around the docks and find fish. Just as well. :)

Reactions: cydline2cydline

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Interesting. I used to fish there in May and catch lots of bluegill. I swear I one time brought up what was similar to what state-record bluegill look like. Thought it was a decent largemouth. But that was 20 years ago when a camera wasn't at the ready in a second. I SWEAR it happened though. :)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I am going to take you up on this. Every time I take my kids fishing we don't catch anything. Actually, hunting too (game and mushrooms). I need to redeem myself.