Oklahoma State site asked me Q's about Hoiberg/Gottlieb

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
There is a huge difference in their lives after college. Fred played for some of the greatest minds in the game. He sat on the bench, watched film, and worked with these great coaches. He scouted teams. Gottlieb hasn't been around the sport day to day for years. He has never shown any desire to coach unless it is the OSU job. He went from playing to broadcasting. Hiring Fred was a risk, but his background was a lot better than Doug's is. The only similarity is they both played college basketball. I don't think Doug is even an icon like Fred is.

Yeah, this is why I don't think they're at all comparable beyond being alums of their schools. Hoiberg not only played pro ball but after retiring he continued to work in a front office. His ability to coach was a roll of the dice but his ability to run a program and deal with players wasn't.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The key is getting the players. I doubt most 18 year old potential targets saw Gotlieb play at Okie St especially if they aren't from Oklahoma. They may know him as a talking head on TV not sure that will be a selling point or not. Fred had 10 years playing for multiple teams in the NBA under very good coaches and years as an assistant GM to sell recruits with connections to get them into the league. Royce for instance was very aware of his pedigree when he committed being from MN.

I don't know if hiring Gotlieb would be a good hire or not but it would be interesting. Hoiberg was less of a risk for ISU than Gotlieb would be for OSU.
There's no way to know, but I'd imagine more young guys know of a current TV/media/twitter guy than someone that was an NBA bench guy when they were in elementary school. Fred personally knew Fred and Matt so that's irrelevant to this point.

I'd say they're of equal risk or certainly the difference is fundamentally very small. Doug has some things going for him that Fred didn't and the inverse is true, too.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Here is my comparison. Chuck Norris wears Fred Hoiberg underwear and Doug Gottlieb wears Kriss Kross underwear. That's all I'm gonna say.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I think it's impossible to say whether Gottlieb could bring the kind of success they want. On the one hand, he was a player, a point guard and seems to have a very good basketball mind. He understands the game. He also is clearly willing to say what he feels - which can be very attractive to young guys. He also has some notoriety out there because of his media work. He also seems to be personable and willing to connect with people. That's important for recruiting I would believe. Players win games and while a coach is crucial, I tend to think he would be a good recruiter.

On the other hand, he has absolutely no experience coaching, as far as I can tell. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, he also has some "past player" cred that gives some coaches a leg-up in recruiting. Fred had that, too. But, could he manage players and his program once he gets them to Stillwater?

I don't know. It would certainly make Big XII basketball more entertaining to have another outspoken coach like Gottlieb around! I tend to think he would be successful though.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
There is a huge difference in their lives after college. Fred played for some of the greatest minds in the game. He sat on the bench, watched film, and worked with these great coaches. He scouted teams. Gottlieb hasn't been around the sport day to day for years. He has never shown any desire to coach unless it is the OSU job. He went from playing to broadcasting. Hiring Fred was a risk, but his background was a lot better than Doug's is. The only similarity is they both played college basketball. I don't think Doug is even an icon like Fred is.

I agree with you that hiring Fred was less risky than hiring Gottlieb seems to be. The advantages you pointed out which Fred had over Gottlieb strike me as being spot on.

That said, Gottlieb seems (at least he's talking like it) to desire to recruit more and he can be persuasive and enjoyable to listen to on the radio; I imagine he can sell Stillwater pretty darn well. He seems to have more energy than Fred did to really recruit hard. I wonder if that will pan out - if he's hired?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
There's no way to know, but I'd imagine more young guys know of a current TV/media/twitter guy than someone that was an NBA bench guy when they were in elementary school. Fred personally knew Fred and Matt so that's irrelevant to this point.

I'd say they're of equal risk or certainly the difference is fundamentally very small. Doug has some things going for him that Fred didn't and the inverse is true, too.

Hypothetically, let's say they both introduce themselves to a new recruit.
Fred says "4 year starter, 2nd most pts in school history, with my number hanging at the school, 10 year NBA career with multiple Hall of Fame coaches, worked in front office of the Timberwolves"
Doug says "starter on the final four team, played a couple years over seas, worked as a commentator for college basketball, now I have my own talk show"

Which one seems like the guy that might get me too the next level?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't think Gottlieb would be a terrible hire for Okie St. The similarities between him and Fred are the no coaching experience. They are polar opposites on every other facet.

I'd think they could do better, but there are a few openings out there and not a lot of names.

Help Support Us

Become a patron