Olde Main closing

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Wow, shouldn't he get some jail time? Makes me think I'm a fool for filing taxes every year and trying to be an honest, hard working citizen.

Reactions: Drew0311

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Wow, shouldn't he get some jail time? Makes me think I'm a fool for filing taxes every year and trying to be an honest, hard working citizen.

White collar crime is generally very lucrative with low risk once you get to a certain donation level.

Reactions: Gitross

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
FYI, the owner was sentenced this week: 3 years probation and a $160k fine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...tenced-on-monday/ar-BB13ZZ8n?ocid=hplocalnews

He still has some charges for which sentencing was delayed, but it will probably be more of the same. Surprised he has gotten off this lightly.

"He also plead guilty to similar tax charges on Nov. 15 in U.S. District Court in Des Moines, and according to Rachel Scherle, an assistant attorney in the Southern District of Iowa, U.S. Attorneys Office, said in an email statement to the Tribune Griffen's March 24 sentencing date has been continued."

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

Had to be a combination of a good lawyer and a weak judge. My neighbor got to spend time in the pen down in Kansas for a far less serious tax case.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
You would think with him missing his court dates and running from the law, that they would have gone harder and put him in prison for a little while.

But as others have said, white collar crimes are way on the lighter side of sentencing.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
That's $37.5k per month plus restitution for which he's never going to make. Helluva deal for 4 only months of your life.

Reactions: Angie

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Thread resurrection: “Sam’s Place” is opening in the Corner Pocket location, and has started posting on the Facebook page. Sam Touzani is listed as the sole proprietor on the liquor license application. He appears to be an accountant/bookkeeper/tax preparer. Building still appears to be owned by Griffin’s daughter. Anyone familiar with Sam?

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Thread resurrection: “Sam’s Place” is opening in the Corner Pocket location, and has started posting on the Facebook page. Sam Touzani is listed as the sole proprietor on the liquor license application. He appears to be an accountant/bookkeeper/tax preparer. Building still appears to be owned by Griffin’s daughter. Anyone familiar with Sam?
Pool hall?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
From a job board:

Company Name:
Sam's Place

Company Description:
Sam's Place is a new pool hall and sports bar concept, opening soon, in the heart of downtown Ames. Featuring Iowa State (college) and NFL games on our new big screens, arcade games, a new juke box and of course pool! Offering a full bar and pizza from Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company!

Opening day TBD but we anticipate opening this month!

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
From a job board:

Company Name:
Sam's Place

Company Description:
Sam's Place is a new pool hall and sports bar concept, opening soon, in the heart of downtown Ames. Featuring Iowa State (college) and NFL games on our new big screens, arcade games, a new juke box and of course pool! Offering a full bar and pizza from Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company!

Opening day TBD but we anticipate opening this month!
A jukebox you say!?

• Haha
Reactions: Bocy

Help Support Us

Become a patron