Other WBB Big 12 Games

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Baylor beat KU 82-60, but in watching the game, I feel sorry for KSU who has Baylor next. Baylor looked passive most of the game, and their defense was not on par with what I have seen out of them most of the year. Mulkey had her arms crossed most of the second half, and called a couple time outs to chew out her team. They put up the points, but didn't play with much intensity.

Baylor Lady Bears vs. Kansas Jayhawks - Recap - January 13, 2013 - ESPN

OU beat TTU in Norman - 65-55 - TTU's baker was in foul trouble most of the game, and TTU missed a lot of key shots and free throws down the stretch.

Texas Tech Lady Raiders vs. Oklahoma Sooners - Recap - January 12, 2013 - ESPN

OSU stomped Texas - Texas just looked plain lost on TV today. Just lost. Tons of talent and athleticsm, but couldn't hit a shot nor run and effective offense, and at times just stood around on defense. OSU looked good, but the UT players just looked like they didn't care. Aston better right the ship quick, or it will be a long long season in Austin.

Oklahoma State Cowgirls vs. Texas Longhorns - Recap - January 13, 2013 - ESPN

WVU beat KSU - KSU has Chambers, and WVU plays a lighter version of TAM thug ball. KSU doesn't give up, which I saw Texas do, so I'm guessing KSU will be a tough out most games, but probably be below .500 this year. I think WVU is on the rise, but can struggle on offense. Game was a lot closer than score would indicate.

West Virginia Mountaineers vs. Kansas State Wildcats - Box Score - January 12, 2013 - ESPN

In short, many people talked about the ISU/TCU game being "ugly," but there were some uglier ones in the Big 12 this weekend. KSU and WVU was dreadful to watch, as was the OSU Texas game. I think it is going to be a long season of tough physical defense, and the days when ISU girls scored 80+ in conference are long gone. The Big 12 has become the best defensive and rebounding league overall, which in the end, bodes well for tourney time. One of my favorite sayings is, "offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounds win championships." - Pat Summit

Aside: Watched Stanford lose to Cal today. This is probably the worst Stanford team I have seen in a long time, and either Taylor was way overrated, or she is just not good in Tara's system. She got buzzed by quicker guards a few times, and couldn't handle bigger post players, and didn't look confident in her stroke at all. Though most of the Stanford players looked like deer in the headlights from what I watched. I think she would have fit the BF system much better, and here's betting Tara regrets leaving her vaunted triangle offense.

Aside II: Pop was highlighted a couple times today on the Texas/OSU game, as was Bill Fennelly(actually showed him and quotes on Baylor". BVL gave a couple shout outs to the sisters today, and she said she was excited for the ISU/OSU match-up next weekend.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
after Baylor the rest of league is up for grabs. Really hoping we can challenge for 2nd place.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not a conference game but Stanford bit the dust again at home against California. Greenfield was/is unimpressive and watch for them to have troubles with other Pac teams.

swiacyfan

Mar 2, 2009
i strongly believe that we can be the number 2 team in our conference. i dont know why BF wants us to walk the ball up against baylor. i know its part of his plan but by the time they get up the court and run the offense the shot clock is already at 10.
another note. i think okie state is overrated. thanks to texas showing up and wanting to play today (not) texas should have won that game.
i was also impressed with kansas today

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Baylor beat KU 82-60, but ... looked passive most of the game, and their defense was not on par with what I have seen out of them most of the year. Mulkey had her arms crossed most of the second half, and called a couple time outs to chew out her team. They put up the points, but didn't play with much intensity.
Aside: Watched Stanford lose to Cal today. This is probably the worst Stanford team I have seen in a long time, and either Taylor was way overrated, or she is just not good in Tara's system. ...she would have fit the BF system much better, and here's betting Tara regrets leaving her vaunted triangle offense.

I had the same impression of Baylor. They definitely looked uninspired. Was impressed with the KU crowd and with KU continuing to take it at BU. Normally, I would say that type of play by Baylor means they are vulnerable to losing. They still may not in the Big 12, but come tourney time, if they have some bad habits, it could bite them.

All season, Stanford's offense has looked out of sync. Without having a player like Nkeka O and some team chemistry, they really don't have the athleticism to compensate. Completely different situations and players, but I'd liken Greenfield's current situation to Whitney Williams. Whit was a better fit for ISU than TCU, and in her second year there, is getting barely double-digit minutes with little production. Likewise for Taylor in her second year. This is after she reportedly had a really good summer of training. She still has 2 years at Stanford, so maybe it will turn around for her.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
i strongly believe that we can be the number 2 team in our conference. i dont know why BF wants us to walk the ball up against baylor. i know its part of his plan but by the time they get up the court and run the offense the shot clock is already at 10.
another note. i think okie state is overrated. thanks to texas showing up and wanting to play today (not) texas should have won that game.
i was also impressed with kansas today

As efficient as Baylors offense is, I would guess BF wants to limit the number of possessions and control the clock as much as possible.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I had the same impression of Baylor. They definitely looked uninspired. Was impressed with the KU crowd and with KU continuing to take it at BU. Normally, I would say that type of play by Baylor means they are vulnerable to losing. They still may not in the Big 12, but come tourney time, if they have some bad habits, it could bite them.

All season, Stanford's offense has looked out of sync. Without having a player like Nkeka O and some team chemistry, they really don't have the athleticism to compensate. Completely different situations and players, but I'd liken Greenfield's current situation to Whitney Williams. Whit was a better fit for ISU than TCU, and in her second year there, is getting barely double-digit minutes with little production. Likewise for Taylor in her second year. This is after she reportedly had a really good summer of training. She still has 2 years at Stanford, so maybe it will turn around for her.

I don't know about Greenfield; she took only two shots during the time I watched, which was over half the game, and missed both by a lot. I doubt she is one of their top shooters because she was taken out of the game with about five or six minutes to play when Stanford was behind by 8 or 10 points.

Last edited: