Our seniors will be missed, but our future looks very bright

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I get cyclone tv and only got to 4 matches this year so I never saw her play. No idea, I wish I had been there when she did.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

holy ****, she only played OH/S?! That is incredible. I had noticed her out of system sets looked really good - like she'd actually set them, not dig like most liberos. That is truly impressive that this is her first time playing as libero. It's obviously a bit early, but I had thought just based on her play this season that we'd have a three time Big 12 LOTY on our roster.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
CJL's post-match press conference comment after yesterday: "this match showed - for us to compete against the best teams in the country, we've got to get a LOT better."

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
One more Schaben to balance out the attack would be nice. A tall active setter in the Lydia Dimke of Creighton mode would give the opponent's block a lot more to think about. We are not miles away but players like Grace and Samara have to taken another step forward next season or be pushed hard by the newcomers. If we could land at least one sure thing like a Mackenzie May from Wahlert as an example we would be better instantly. I would mention like a Foeke but she is a freak of nature. There are some gems out there but a lot of girls have their hearts set on a Texas Nebraska Minnesota Wisconsin etc. Some, not all, are probably good enough to go to those schools but they will probably sit for a couple years or all 4 if they do. Those are the ones we need to convince to come to Ames. If we get them into the facilities then we have a chance.

Then there is the allure of playing beach on the west coast as well. Some schools are recruiting exclusively beach now so the indoor game is losing those players as well. To be fair giving an 18 year old the choice between Lincoln and Long Beach in February? No brainer!

CJL has a difficult but not impossible job to do. All the best to her and the Clones.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
One more Schaben to balance out the attack would be nice. A tall active setter in the Lydia Dimke of Creighton mode would give the opponent's block a lot more to think about. We are not miles away but players like Grace and Samara have to taken another step forward next season or be pushed hard by the newcomers. If we could land at least one sure thing like a Mackenzie May from Wahlert as an example we would be better instantly. I would mention like a Foeke but she is a freak of nature. There are some gems out there but a lot of girls have their hearts set on a Texas Nebraska Minnesota Wisconsin etc. Some, not all, are probably good enough to go to those schools but they will probably sit for a couple years or all 4 if they do. Those are the ones we need to convince to come to Ames. If we get them into the facilities then we have a chance.

CJL has a difficult but not impossible job to do. All the best to her and the Clones.

The Register's All-State Elite team has ISU setter signee Piper Mauck who they list at 6-2. She is graduating early so she evidently will play Spring ball at ISU. Will be interesting to see if she ends up as the 5-1 setter next season or splits with Harris in a 6-2 rotation.

Speaking of facilities, ISU needs to make Hilton more of a true VB venue with their own VB court for recruiting. Would be even better if they had a smaller competition venue like the top VB powers have.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The Register's All-State Elite team has ISU setter signee Piper Mauck who they list at 6-2. She is graduating early so she evidently will play Spring ball at ISU. Will be interesting to see if she ends up as the 5-1 setter next season or splits with Harris in a 6-2 rotation.

Speaking of facilities, ISU needs to make Hilton more of a true VB venue with their own VB court for recruiting. Would be even better if they had a smaller competition venue like the top VB powers have.

I would be shocked if we aren't going strong 5-1 next fall. 6-2 is just not a setup a coach generally chooses. I am glad to see Mauck come in the spring. Interestingly, Harris came in the spring as well. But I really think CJL wants to see us with a strong setter leading a 5-1.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
In the gym over break for setter specialty practice. I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast from across the gym. My first thought was... "Big Mac" Foecke must be here? She was but no broken fingers, noses etc for the other players but what a sound! To be fair Paige Frank that "other schools" recruit was smashing it as well and she is a DS/ setter. They got a good one there unfortunately.

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
Grace Lazard and 3 other players are transferring.
Grace is going to UCLA or USC. We are getting two transfers this winter.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Grace was just coming on so that is a shame. The class coming in will be pushing everyone for time except Schaben.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron