Penn State to honor JoePa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I must've missed something...is Paterno being erased?

More like..... deleted.

69693498.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Gunnerclone

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Look I'm not going to argue because I know I'm in the very small minority. My issue is when he was notified he notified his boss. That is all that he is required to do. Should he have insured more happened yes, but he didn't have to by law. Ignoring one of the most famous coaches does nothing to help the victims recover. Sandusky gets nowhere near as much outrage. Put your effort into helping victims instead of being outraged.

Any decent person makes sure it stops and the perp is punished as soon as they find out about it. Joe Pa decided friendship and a winning team was more important to him the children being molested. Sandusky gets outrage, but at least he is in jail and is not being honored. Joe is not a decent person and should not be honored. How would you feel if they were honoring Sandusky along with Joe. It's really no different. People get upset about what went on at Baylor, but this is 100x worse and has also been handled far worse by the University and fans of Pedophile U.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I went to a NAMBLA meeting once. I appreciate the structure of their meetings and think everything was done in a professional manner.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Except he did his mandatory reporting.

Here's the thing. I would have had him finish the year and then never again honor him. I wouldn't have tried to remove previous honors. The removing things they previously did is what bothers me. Penn State needs to own what he did and what it brought them. They can't try and hide it and pretend they didn't benefit.

My problem really isn't with Paterno's destroyed reputation. My problem is Penn State tried to distance itself when Penn State knew about it and let it continue to happen.

To whom did he report, if you say his boss, that's not enough. It needs to be to the police with follow up and he needed to immediately dismiss him.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

isu83

May 5, 2010
I think the biggest thing people or at least I struggle with here was was Joe Paterno was a fraud just as Jim Tressel was. The 2 coaches I thought were most likely honest men who were above winning at all costs.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think the biggest thing people or at least I struggle with here was was Joe Paterno was a fraud just as Jim Tressel was. The 2 coaches I thought were most likely honest men who were above winning at all costs.

You thought somebody nicknamed Senator Tressel was honest?

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I know this isn't a popular opinion but we shouldn't ignore his accomplishments just because of the scandal.

google the court depositions and other information that came from the interviews of the victims...truly disgusting

The media painted 'ol Joe as some grandfatherly, warm fuzzy curmudgeon, when in fact he was a complete control freak around the athletic department and around campus. If you pee'd somewhere, Joe would know about it

JoRapePA knowingly let a child rapist run loose for years, because of his loyalty to this slimy, creepy, rapist asst coach

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
It's a cult culture. Those in it can't think rationally, thus they drink the Kool aide willingly. Sorta of like politics.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
To whom did he report, if you say his boss, that's not enough. It needs to be to the police with follow up and he needed to immediately dismiss him.

It's not an excuse but there are protocols for these sorts of things, from that standpoint, I don't think he could take it to the police without risking his own job. I think he was looking out for himself, you have to remember he wasn't as influential in the 70's as he was in the 80's and 90's.

With all that said, even IF the administration didn't allow him to bring the information forward, even if he didn't fire Sandusky, even if someone believed he did everything he could do within his power when he heard about the abuse, there is no legitimate reason to allow the guy access to kids or any facilities 20 years after he had been a coach. That's one aspect JoePa would have had 100% control over and he still allowed this creep to prey on children. We think the Baylor fans are ignorant for not admitting they did wrong, the PSU fans make them look levelheaded. Today's tribute is just disgusting and classless. It's like they feel that since the NCAA took it easy on them, they did nothing wrong.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's not an excuse but there are protocols for these sorts of things, from that standpoint, I don't think he could take it to the police without risking his own job. I think he was looking out for himself, you have to remember he wasn't as influential in the 70's as he was in the 80's and 90's.

With all that said, even IF the administration didn't allow him to bring the information forward, even if he didn't fire Sandusky, even if someone believed he did everything he could do within his power when he heard about the abuse, there is no legitimate reason to allow the guy access to kids or any facilities 20 years after he had been a coach. That's one aspect JoePa would have had 100% control over and he still allowed this creep to prey on children. We think the Baylor fans are ignorant for not admitting they did wrong, the PSU fans make them look levelheaded. Today's tribute is just disgusting and classless. It's like they feel that since the NCAA took it easy on them, they did nothing wrong.

He would never have lost his job over reporting this. If nothing else, the PR backlash from firing a guy to stood up to a child molester is his ticket to fame and job security.

Most of the protocols currently also leave room for calling the real police, not just campus police. In a legal situation, it's just not a university decision to make on their own. Not then, not now, not ever.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13