PG - A Question of Vision

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Size-wise, Vanloo is about the same as Mansfield and Cole - they're all listed at or about 5'7/8. Lacey was listed as 6'0". This past season, it seemed that we had shooters open who the pg either didn't see or decided not to go to. When there are 9 other players and a ball moving around, that's a lot to take in - I'm tempted to think that it isn't height to see so much as vision, experience and decision making. So, I'm not greatly troubled by the size of our guards. Thoughts?

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
There's some truth to being able to see over your defender and others, but imo, court vision comes down more to seeing things "horizontally" and anticipating how things will develop and delivering the ball on time. Certainly, if you're taller there will be times that it is an advantage with being able to see the floor.

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
Size-wise, Vanloo is about the same as Mansfield and Cole - they're all listed at or about 5'7/8. Lacey was listed as 6'0". This past season, it seemed that we had shooters open who the pg either didn't see or decided not to go to. When there are 9 other players and a ball moving around, that's a lot to take in - I'm tempted to think that it isn't height to see so much as vision, experience and decision making. So, I'm not greatly troubled by the size of our guards. Thoughts?

How big a difference is there in the passing of Steve Nash and Magic Johnson? The big difference is can you dribble penetrate, and can you understand what your player and his/her defender are about to do before they do it. In the Big 12, defenders weren't worried about our penetration, so they could each lock down their one player. Stagnation leading to forced shots. I have never seen her play, but I suspect she will be a strong contender for the starting PG role.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think the height is more of an advantage for shooting, and for defense.

Some of the best PGs have been small fries. Shannon Bobbit, Steve Nash come to mind. Vandersloot is about the 5 8 size, and D Rob isn't that tall either. The PG needs a quick three shot and the ability to create off the dribble.

Next year with Vanloo and Moody, our offense could have a whole new zing to it. Absolutely love the thought of these two girls in our 1/2 spots for 3-4 years.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This past season, it seemed that we had shooters open who the pg either didn't see or decided not to go to.

Last season's offensive issues had very little or nothing to do with PG height, most of the issues revolved around the inability of Cole, Schroll, Poppens, etc. to shoot. Defenders were able to lay off them on the perimeter and that resulted in the offense's inability to space and spread the defense. That made it difficult for the PGs to "see" open players as you suggest. Poppens obviously needs to play major minutes but when there is another non-shooter on the court with her, it really made things difficult for the offense.

There were plenty of shooting opportunites created by the PGs last season, the problem was the shooters couldn't make them and then that forced Mansfield not to go to them at times.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Lacey was an anomaly for ISU. Her height benefited her greatly, but we've had great point guards prior to her that weren't close to 6' tall. The Big EZ was 5'9". Mrs. Fennelly was 5'9". Wilson was 5'9". Frese was 5'8".

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
If Vanloo comes Mansfield is going to have some tough competition for her spot. We will be having Moody, Mansfield, Vanloo and Cole fighting for it. I think Harris will surprise us and a potential 3... maybe

Who do you think our starting 5 will be

I am very curious with our guards... we look to have solid guards. :)

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It's definitely NOT about height! Sydney Colson led her team to the National Title as point guard and is 5'8". Courtney Vandersloot was the best PG in the country this year at Gonzago and is 5'8". Nuff said.

It's about court spacing, and when we have people on the floor who can't shoot it messes all that spacing up and makes it harder for a PG to penetrate and pass.

I'm VERY excited about our recruiting class and their ability to mesh with the existing soon-to-be juniors. Could be a Sweet 16 year in 2012, Elite 8 in 2013.

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If Vanloo comes Mansfield is going to have some tough competition for her spot. We will be having Moody, Mansfield, Vanloo and Cole fighting for it. I think Harris will surprise us and a potential 3... maybe

Who do you think our starting 5 will be

I am very curious with our guards... we look to have solid guards. :)

Starting 5? A lot of depth for once. This is a STRONG DEEP team! Here you go....

5C - Prins (backed up by Mays)
4F - Poppens (backed up by Zimmerman)
3F - Christofferson (backed up by Schroll)
2G - Moody (backed up by Harris)
1PG - Vanloo (backed up by Mansfield)

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm thinking 6' pg is pretty rare that is probably why Allison went in the 1st rd of the draft. If BF could get a guard that size he would be doing it.

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
If she comes I hope that too many people don't put too much on her too fast.
The International game is still very different than the American game even in ladies ball.
She will have the same growth time and problems with the physicallity and athleticism as our PG's do now. The Juco route does not give them the best of what they will see in top tier D1 and neither does the International game. IMO of course!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
If she comes I hope that too many people don't put too much on her too fast.
The International game is still very different than the American game even in ladies ball.
She will have the same growth time and problems with the physicallity and athleticism as our PG's do now. The Juco route does not give them the best of what they will see in top tier D1 and neither does the International game. IMO of course!

+1
Even Lacey didn't start in her first season despite having some experience with US Basketball (also because of Mrs. Fennelly)

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Starting 5? A lot of depth for once. This is a STRONG DEEP team! Here you go....

5C - Prins (backed up by Mays)
4F - Poppens (backed up by Zimmerman)
3F - Christofferson (backed up by Schroll)
2G - Moody (backed up by Harris)
1PG - Vanloo (backed up by Mansfield)

I will have to agree with you. ^ I love our recruits. If Vanloo comes it will only make it better. :)

If Vanloo doesn't come this is how I'm expecting it.
5C Prins (Mays)
4F Pop (Zim)
3F Christofferson (Schroll, Brynn Williamson)
2G Moody (Harris, Fallon Ellis)
1PG- Mansfield (Cole)

With Vanloo
5C- Prins (Mays)
4F- Pop (Zim)
3F-Christofferson [Harris (because she reminds me of Kelsey), Brynn]
2G- Moody (Schroll, Ellis)
1PG Vanloo (Mansfield, Cole) (I also think Moody will help.)

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I will have to agree with you. ^ I love our recruits. If Vanloo comes it will only make it better. :)

If Vanloo doesn't come this is how I'm expecting it.
5C Prins (Mays)
4F Pop (Zim)
3F Christofferson (Brynn Williamson)
2G Schroll (Harris, Fallon Ellis)
1PG- Mansfield (Cole)

With Vanloo
5C- Prins (Mays)
4F- Pop (Zim)
3F-Christofferson [Harris (because she reminds me of Kelsey), Brynn]
2G- Moody (Schroll, Ellis)
1PG Vanloo (Mansfield, Cole) (I also think Moody will help.)

If Vanloo does come I see no way she starts. She does not know our system or style of play. I can see her backing up Lauren at point but as we saw this yera, Lauren had two years as a JUCO point guard anr it took her time to learn our system. What makes it even tougher is if Vanloo does not get here till fall she will have more of a learning curve.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
If Vanloo does come I see no way she starts. She does not know our system or style of play. I can see her backing up Lauren at point but as we saw this yera, Lauren had two years as a JUCO point guard anr it took her time to learn our system. What makes it even tougher is if Vanloo does not get here till fall she will have more of a learning curve.

Very true. I think Mansfield will start in the beginning of the season, but I see one of our frosh (Moody or Vanloo) competing against Mansfield for the start towards the middle, but I'm not sure who would get it in the end. :/