"Pick your non-poison": KSU & U-M

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Obviously, we’d all prefer to win the football game and MBB game today (it would get the weekend off to a pleasant start, that's for sure :yes:)

But suppose we have to settle for a split. Which do you prefer:

1. Close win vs. KSU, but a 20-plus-point loss at U-M.

2. Loss to KSU by more than 21 points, but a double-digit win at U-M (addendum: the team looks night-and-day better than it has all season)

I’m pretty sure how most of us would choose, although I could see the appeal of “the other one.â€￾

Since it’s only a thought experiment, I’m more curious about the “whyâ€￾ of your choice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Beat Kansas State. Being better positioned for a bowl game (maybe even ranked) after a very meaningful football game is much more important than what may be just another non-conference basketball game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Beat KSU. 1 win in football is almost always bigger than a single basketball game, except if its a tourney game possibly. 7 wins with the chance to get 8 would be tremendous for the growth of our program.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Responses going as I expected.

I'm right there with you. As much as I'd like the bball team to turn a corner against the only remaining non-horrible pre-Big 12 game — there's still time to right that ship.

Beating K-State would be huge (and would make me forget about the downer game vs. OU).

It could (or should) have a positive impact on the bowl bid, too. I'm also a little uneasy about heading into postseason 6-6 ... I have confidence Iowa State is better than any bowl opponent we'd realistically see; but the prospect of finishing 6-7 would knock a little of the shine off that OSU win.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Beat KSU. We're a Football school now. Actually, having a Bad MBB program only helps the image of ISU as a Football Power.

I think Hoiberg would even say, Beat KSU. Football pays the Bills.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Beat KSU. We're a Football school now. Actually, having a Bad MBB program only helps the image of ISU as a Football Power.

I think Hoiberg would even say, Beat KSU. Football pays the Bills.

I would LOVE to hear this reasoning.