• C+

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • C or below

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
B/B+.

'A' with a win last weekend and things getting figured out earlier or at least better games vs. Cinci, Vandy, and Texas. The Texas game was definitely a typical letdown type but that was the last game I felt like they didn't play well or together.

February 11 and after definitely an 'A'--most fun I've had watching a team ascend in a long time.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My grade is B-plus, a lot of people already summarized my reasoning.

It was probably B-minus up to that point, considering talent & experience returning, coupled with expectation. It was mostly close losses to legit teams, which was OK (if frustrating), but it also looked like ISU wouldn't be capable of beating many high-level opponents, at that point.

February onward, it was an A (inability to advance past first weekend was a minor downgrade, only because the team was on fire and "looked" like an Elite 8 team, was hoping for a little deeper run). Progress late in the season was a joy to watch.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I agree with this. It was so much fun to follow the team that weekend and also I was just happy for our fans to be able to enjoy something for a few days.

Agreed. I gave it a B+. Would be curious if those grading B were not able to make it to KC for the tournament. Winning three straight in front of our huge fan base, including revenge over the Huggy & the Hillbillies, was thrilling.

Would have been a solid A if we beat Purdue and were still in the dance.

Could give a rats butt about Cincy loss or Texas loss at this stage. Not material.

Reactions: mj4cy

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
There are 300+ D1 programs and we finished solidly in the top 32, won a first round tournament game, our conference tournament, and ended KUs home winning streak. The regular season had some serious lows, but 90% of college basketball programs would have switched their seasons with ours in a heart beat.

A- or better.

Those grading B want to be on the top of the mountain, which I respect, but compared to our peers, ISU got a solid A.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I went in thinking I would give an A, but then realized that I was still disappointed at the loss to Purdue. So I gave a B+. Maybe after the pain goes away, I will move up. Try me again in the summertime.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Miss NIT = C-
Make NIT = C
Make NCAA = B
Make Round of 32 = B+
Make Sweet 16 = A-
Make Elite Eight = A
Make Final Four = A+
Make Championship Game = A++
Win it all = Create a new letter before A

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I had B in my head but gave it a B+. Probably would have gone A- with a S16 finish. We had some disappointing losses but only 2 made me genuinely mad. One was Texas, although emotionally we had to be shot coming off the win at KU so I can see it. Iowa just pissed me off. If we would have played as well as we ran our mouths before and after we would have won by 20. Iowa was a bad basketball team, especially then, and they ran us off the court. The game was terrible, plus it brought the fans out of the trailer parks to bump their gums. Bad deal.

They more than made up for it though. The last 6 weeks of the season, including a second place finish in a tough conference plus a tournament championship gave me some of the most enjoyable basketball I've seen in a long time and an unforgettable weekend with my son in KC that I'll treasure for years to come. That, plus these were some of the most likable players we've ever had at ISU. The fans always like the players but it doesn't always feel like the players love the fans back. These guys made no bones about how much they loved this place and the people that supported them. The seniors left behind one helluva legacy.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
A-

Had we played Young earlier or had the ball bounce our way against PU, it would have been an A.

Hines had a good article about how we maxed out the season in the Tribune

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I gave it a B. As a whole it is about what o expected. The beginning of the year was well below expectations and the later part was above expectations. In the end the way we were playing I thought we were an Elite Eight/Final Four team but the tournament is weird.

I'm thrilled with the season but do still have minor concerns. Hopefully next year completely locks those up and throws away the key.

Since when did a 'B' equal 'meets expectations'? Average is a 'C'. This is the problem with our country. Everyone gets a ribbon.
:jimlad (wish this wasn't necessary but I'm sure it is)

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
There are 300+ D1 programs and we finished solidly in the top 32, won a first round tournament game, our conference tournament, and ended KUs home winning streak. The regular season had some serious lows, but 90% of college basketball programs would have switched their seasons with ours in a heart beat.

A- or better.

Those grading B want to be on the top of the mountain, which I respect, but compared to our peers, ISU got a solid A.
If you want to grade relative to everyone yes it should be an A but I think you have to grade based on each team. A team like LSU last year just missed the tournament so they would probably get a B or so but anyone grading it higher than a D wasn't being honest.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
B+, but waiting outside the prof office to talk him/her into raising it to an A-. If this team wins at Texas and/or TCU it would have been an easy A- and any other wins would probably boot it to an A. (2nd place outright).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
C for the first half of the season, A for the last half. So I voted B+ but could easily have been A-. Would have been a solid A had we made the Sweet 16.

All in all, a really good season.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
With the rough start, I gave it a B.

Not grading down for the tournament, because whatever happens there is a crapshoot.

I went with a B+ because of the last half of the season and the Big 12 Tourney run. Rough start stopped me from saying anything higher.

Completely agree on the bolded part. If you aren't a 1 or 2 seed you can't complain about not getting out of the first weekend. The tourney is a brutal madhouse.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Wth more preparation time, we could have beat Purdue. Took us 25 minutes to figure out how to play them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I voted B+. For me, the losses to TCU, UT, Vandy, and Iowa keep it out of the A range...win 2-3 of those and I could be persuaded to bump up...

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I started heading toward a B and went A, Lets say A-.

The way I see it, a couple of years ago, the day after Hoiberg officially left, maybe even before then, I didn't know if we would see the much of the tourney again.

Today, I think we are in a better position for the future than if Fred had stayed. Not so much that Fred would have done poorly but that I think CSP can go further.

And to me, this season was the proof of that. Would have been nice to have a mystical run with a gawdie 26-4 record and a 2 or 3 seed. Maybe where it should have been with the 'talent' on this team. But there were some open holes from Hoiberg's tenure - defense was marginal at best, the transfer route had made team chemistry and continuity a challenge.

I haven't seen a better coaching job at ISU, in maybe any sport, than What CSP did in the last 1/2 of the season. Team that lost to Purdue beats the team that lost to Iowa by 20+ points.

This team was a missed FT and a lost Rebound away from a Sweet 16 epic matchup with Boo U.

That was all coaching.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
At he start of the season I would have taken a 2nd place B12 finish, Tourney Champions, and round of 32. That would at least be a meets expectation, more likely exceeds expectation.

After the season, I am left thinking we should have had an out right 2nd place stupid loses to Texas and TCU. No excuse for how poor we played WVU at home in the regular season either. Those games go the way they should and we are competing for a regular season championship. The loss to Purdue hurt because they only played ISU basketball for about 12 minutes.

So they both exceeded expectation, and in the end did really good, but could have done better. So that is a B+ in my book.