Post-Spring Depth Chart

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
One thing about the offensive line, Manning will give guys the chance to earn a spot. Seda came out of nowhere last year to be a pretty solid lineman for us. It will be interesting to see if we have another Seda on the team this year.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
One thing about the offensive line, Manning will give guys the chance to earn a spot. Seda came out of nowhere last year to be a pretty solid lineman for us. It will be interesting to see if we have another Seda on the team this year.
Very true. When I first saw his name starting I thought it was a typo or just a motivational tool...and then he stayed there...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Very true. When I first saw his name starting I thought it was a typo or just a motivational tool...and then he stayed there...

I think the thing with Manning is he wants guys that are coachable, and do what they are told so the OL works as a unit. There were a few guys that started early in the year that were probably more talented, but just were making tons of mistakes. I am really looking forward to seeing what the OL can do in 2017. Certainly have a lot more experience to start the season.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Better than Foster, Campos, Dawson, and Good-Jones?

Out of the bolded names, Meeker is the only man to start in an actual FB game last season. When you think about it, yeah its not surprising that he may be one of the the best available.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'll take a shot at this:

QB: Park, Noland/Kempt
RB: Montgomery, Warren, Croney
WR: Lazard, Butler
WR: Eaton, Martin, Epps
M: Jones, Ryen
TE: Allen, Harms/Soehner
F: Seonbuchner
LT: Foster, Campos
LG: Dawson/Garcia
C: JGJ, Windham
RG: Meeker, Odeogu
RT: Campos, Meeker, Curtis

LEO: JaQuan Bailey, Lensing, C. Bailey
DT: Trent, Tongamoa, Uwazarike/Leo
NG: Lima, Johnson, Josh Bailey
DE: Waggoner, Leo, Benton, Uwazarike
WLB: Harvey, Northrup
MLB: Lanning, Sutton
STAR: Daniels, Payne
CB: Peavey, unnamed grad transfer
CB: Payne, Azunna
FS: KCM, Lewis/Bowens
SS: Edwards/Grant

K: Owens, Francis
P: Downing
PR: Ryen
KR: Ryen, Jones/Payne

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Wow, I think you've nailed it pretty much. Good job. I think this has a pretty good chance of being our starting lineup against UNI.

A lot will depend on if Campos can play tackle or not? CMC said they aren't sure if his foot speed will be good enough after his injury or not, and if it isn't he'd likely be moved to guard. Also, that Meeker/Odeogu battle for RG will be a good one this summer too.

Will be interesting to see who backs up Peavey also. Is Bowens going to play safety or corner? I think he's a stud.

Also, I see you have Uwazurike at DT and DE both, does anyone know for sure what the plan is for him? I've heard some people mention he might be moved inside, but is that for sure?

Otherwise, great job on that list. Pretty much spot on IMO.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley

Looks pretty good to me. I think uwazarike will really move up by the end of the season. The DBs are going to be an interesting position. We know KCM, peavy and Payne, but the depth other than that is kind of up in the air. Edwards I'm sure will be in there too but the whole 2-3 deep is a big question on how it shakes out

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Wow, I think you've nailed it pretty much. Good job. I think this has a pretty good chance of being our starting lineup against UNI.

A lot will depend on if Campos can play tackle or not? CMC said they aren't sure if his foot speed will be good enough after his injury or not, and if it isn't he'd likely be moved to guard. Also, that Meeker/Odeogu battle for RG will be a good one this summer too.

Will be interesting to see who backs up Peavey also. Is Bowens going to play safety or corner? I think he's a stud.

Also, I see you have Uwazurike at DT and DE both, does anyone know for sure what the plan is for him? I've heard some people mention he might be moved inside, but is that for sure?

Otherwise, great job on that list. Pretty much spot on IMO.
I think uwazurike might play some DT as well just because we are so thin there. We only have 5 unless they play a true freshman. He has the size to do it so I wouldn't be surprised

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think uwazurike might play some DT as well just because we are so thin there. We only have 5 unless they play a true freshman. He has the size to do it so I wouldn't be surprised

5 is plenty depth at DT as long as it's a decent 5. But I think Uwazurike might move inside on some sure passing downs.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Looks pretty good to me. I think uwazarike will really move up by the end of the season. The DBs are going to be an interesting position. We know KCM, peavy and Payne, but the depth other than that is kind of up in the air. Edwards I'm sure will be in there too but the whole 2-3 deep is a big question on how it shakes out

Edwards will play a lot. Jataris Grant is going to be really good, as will Bowens. And don't forget about Daniels too.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
It is going to be extremely helpful that both JGJ and Meeker played a ton last year..Fully expect to see an entirely different offense bs UNI that I did last season..Our top 7 OL:

Campos-SR*
Ogu-JR
JGJ-SO
Dawson-SR
Meeker-SO
Garcia-SR
Foster-RSFR

I think our top 7 will be solid and interchangeable position wise for a few..The question will be developing 8 thru 10..

Forbes and Mueller both RS FR appear to be those 2...Not to jump ahead but 2018 is setting up to be a very big year for this program, will return ton on both sides with a lot of experience and into CMC 3rd recruiting class

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It is going to be extremely helpful that both JGJ and Meeker played a ton last year..Fully expect to see an entirely different offense bs UNI that I did last season..Our top 7 OL:

Campos-SR*
Ogu-JR
JGJ-SO
Dawson-SR
Meeker-SO
Garcia-SR
Foster-RSFR

I think our top 7 will be solid and interchangeable position wise for a few..The question will be developing 8 thru 10..

Forbes and Mueller both RS FR appear to be those 2...Not to jump ahead but 2018 is setting up to be a very big year for this program, will return ton on both sides with a lot of experience and into CMC 3rd recruiting class

There's still not much experience there I'm afraid. Campos has it, but he's had numerous injuries now, so will he be as effective as before?

Dawson is an unknown too really. Asking anything from Garcia is a big stretch too. This year, especially at the beginning of the season, could be iffy, but hopefully they improve as the year goes on, and you are right that the following year we had better see some big improvement.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Since Seda came out of nowhere to be a starter last year, it is possible that we could see another lineman play his way into relevance this year. My darkhorse Offensive Lineman for this year is Will Windham. Watching film of the spring game, he was the only guy that stood out in that second unit. He really seemed to play well. He has the size and is now a R-JR. His bio says he was the 94th best guard in his class as rated by scout. He is also a ME major.

Who knows if he plays, but he is my guess as the next Brian Seda.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBlitz

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Did the backup QBs show anything during the scrimmage? The highlights showed Kempt as being pretty mediocre - although he did have a read option TD.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
There's still not much experience there I'm afraid. Campos has it, but he's had numerous injuries now, so will he be as effective as before?

Dawson is an unknown too really. Asking anything from Garcia is a big stretch too. This year, especially at the beginning of the season, could be iffy, but hopefully they improve as the year goes on, and you are right that the following year we had better see some big improvement.

I'm still optimistic. There are some big bodies and more experience than we had last year. Last year game 1 we started (from left) Philbert, Meeker, Bobek, Scoggins, and Fett.

That's 2 guys playing their first ever D1 games, and another making his first ever start at tackle.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Did the backup QBs show anything during the scrimmage? The highlights showed Kempt as being pretty mediocre - although he did have a read option TD.
I thought Kempt looked fine. Should be serviceable as a back up. He's a big dude with a good arm.

Noland only participated in the 7 on 7 and didn't see any live game action.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I would have a little different secondary IMO
FS KCM and Grant
SS Edwards and Lewis
Star Azunna and Daniels?
LC Peavy and Bowens
RC Payne and Ruth?

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
5 is plenty depth at DT as long as it's a decent 5. But I think Uwazurike might move inside on some sure passing downs.
I think he and Leo will both see time at both DE and DT like Thomas did thins year and Irving a few years ago...

I'm wondering if Leo might redshirt though. If we have enough depth then I'm all for it because he is still new to football and it shows. Sit him out a year and have him work his butt off and you could have a potential all-American for two years after that. He has all the tools but needs to work on the basic fundamental stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I would have a little different secondary IMO
FS KCM and Grant
SS Edwards and Lewis
Star Azunna and Daniels?
LC Peavy and Bowens
RC Payne and Ruth?
Ruth is a safety. Don't forget about Keontae. He will likely redshirt but depends on how fall camp goes. Any work on the progression of Webster? Haven't heard a thing about him since last year's signing day.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Ruth is a safety. Don't forget about Keontae. He will likely redshirt but depends on how fall camp goes. Any work on the progression of Webster? Haven't heard a thing about him since last year's signing day.
Ruth was playing corner in the spring game, FWIW.

The coaches have talked about Webster along with the other RSFr DB's who have impressed. The staff is high on the young guys, but obviously at corner it's nice to have a few older guys there as well (which is why they've shopped for a grad transfer).

• Informative
Reactions: demoncore1031