Potential MBB/WBB conflict at Big 12 Tournament

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
This potential conflict always exists. They will do what they can to shuffle things around if a school happens to have two teams scheduled at same time.

I echo the comments re: who gives a flying f about the pep band(s). As if that is a consideration to worry about? My Gawd.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Well they better have a hand stamp policy so the fans can go between arenas as the first game hits the half...when the second game hits the half...and when the first game ends...:realmad:

They never should have done it for KSU in the first place. But to do it for them and then say we won't ever do it again is pretty stupid.

Big 12 Tourney runs on a no hand stamp policy.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They will play at the same time, there will be two bands. Not a huge deal, no one was really all that worried about it the AD pays for everything anyway, 10 more band kids get to go now, a few more hotel rooms and another bus.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Cool story bro. I was just using my only source of information, which has never mentioned anything that hinted that the games could potentially be shuffled.

I'll have to give you a 3/10 for that use of "Cool story, bro." Remember kids, "Cool story, bro" is used in one of two situations:

1) A long, rambling, and boring story about a topic that no one on the board cares about.
2) A story that is not necessarily long, rambling, or boring which might be acceptable if told to your personal friends or co-workers in real life, but is too specific to you or your own social circles for the board as a whole to care about.

I'm a band alumni myself, but I can't allow a misuse of a popular internet saying just for my ISUCFVMB loyalties. Next time, just use a normal insult.

--This has been a message from your friendly neighborhood internet saying police--

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
The Alumni Association observes the party will happen, no matter what.

The 2011 Big 12 men's and women's basketball tournaments start next week. Specific event times are still TBD, but check out our website for the info we have available so far. Please note that, if the women's and men's teams end up playing at the same time on Wednesday, the spirit event will be combined.

jr4cy

Nov 13, 2008
March 1, 2011

Dear Cyclone Fans,

The purpose of this letter is to make you aware of a potential scheduling conflict involving our women’s and men’s basketball teams at next week’s Big 12 Championships. There is a strong possibility that our women’s and men’s teams could play at the same time on Wednesday, March 9th. Conflicts have existed during previous championships but, fortunately, our institution has not been impacted. In the event a conflict does happen, we wanted to share the following information with you:
1. Although adjusting the tournament brackets may seem like a simple solution, it does present the possibility for a higher seeded team to be penalized (less preparation time between games than a lower seed). As a result, the Big 12 men’s and women’s basketball coaches previously decided that brackets for the tournament would not be adjusted to accommodate an institution with a scheduling conflict. The rationale was to protect the team seeds in each championship.
2. If our teams do experience a game time conflict on Wednesday, March 9th, the Iowa State Athletics Department will offer refunds for session one of the men’s tournament or session three of the women’s tournament to any of our fans who purchased tickets from our department. Fans desiring a refund must return their men’s or women’s session ticket to our athletics ticket office staff, prior to Wednesday’s Iowa State women’s game. Iowa State ticket office staff will be available at the Women’s Basketball Pass Gate, in the North Foyer of Municipal Auditorium, between 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. (prior to tip-off of our women’s game) on March 9th. All refunds will be processed the following week and credited back to the credit card used at the time of original purchase.
It is unfortunate that our team’s games may conflict this year. However, we also appreciate and support the Big 12 Conference’s decision to keep the men’s and women’s tournaments in the same city during the same week. Other conferences have separated their championships to avoid these conflicts. The Big 12 has not supported separating our tournaments because we have enjoyed the excitement and pageantry of a combined event. That atmosphere is what makes the Big 12 Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships the best in the country.

Thank you for your continued support of Iowa State basketball. We look forward to seeing you in Kansas City next week.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
March 1, 2011
Dear Cyclone Fans,

The purpose of this letter is to make you aware of a potential scheduling conflict involving our women’s and men’s basketball teams at next week’s Big 12 Championships. There is a strong possibility that our women’s and men’s teams could play at the same time on Wednesday, March 9th. Conflicts have existed during previous championships but, fortunately, our institution has not been impacted. In the event a conflict does happen, we wanted to share the following information with you:
1. Although adjusting the tournament brackets may seem like a simple solution, it does present the possibility for a higher seeded team to be penalized (less preparation time between games than a lower seed). As a result, the Big 12 men’s and women’s basketball coaches previously decided that brackets for the tournament would not be adjusted to accommodate an institution with a scheduling conflict. The rationale was to protect the team seeds in each championship.
2. If our teams do experience a game time conflict on Wednesday, March 9th, the Iowa State Athletics Department will offer refunds for session one of the men’s tournament or session three of the women’s tournament to any of our fans who purchased tickets from our department. Fans desiring a refund must return their men’s or women’s session ticket to our athletics ticket office staff, prior to Wednesday’s Iowa State women’s game. Iowa State ticket office staff will be available at the Women’s Basketball Pass Gate, in the North Foyer of Municipal Auditorium, between 10:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. (prior to tip-off of our women’s game) on March 9th. All refunds will be processed the following week and credited back to the credit card used at the time of original purchase.
It is unfortunate that our team’s games may conflict this year. However, we also appreciate and support the Big 12 Conference’s decision to keep the men’s and women’s tournaments in the same city during the same week. Other conferences have separated their championships to avoid these conflicts. The Big 12 has not supported separating our tournaments because we have enjoyed the excitement and pageantry of a combined event. That atmosphere is what makes the Big 12 Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships the best in the country.

Thank you for your continued support of Iowa State basketball. We look forward to seeing you in Kansas City next week.

Go Cyclones!
Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

This is from an e-mail sent this afternoon. I'm wondering what implications/future decisions might come from the final 4 sentences.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
This is from an e-mail sent this afternoon. I'm wondering what implications/future decisions might come from the final 4 sentences.
You mean:
The Big 12 has not supported separating our tournaments because we have enjoyed the excitement and pageantry of a combined event. That atmosphere is what makes the Big 12 Men’s & Women’s Basketball Championships the best in the country.

Evidently the WBB/MBB contracts for KC are not of equal duration. "The Big 12 men's basketball tournament will be held at Kansas City's Sprint Center in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. The women's tournament is currently confirmed at Kansas City's Municipal Auditorium through 2013."

Time will tell. I take from these sentences that a decision has not yet been made. As our MBB becomes more of a factor in conference play, this could be a big factor for more of us. This year, for me, it means there may be MBB fans at the joint spirit party at the Convention Center.