Potential relocation to Fort Collins, Co.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Looking at a possible corporate relocation to the Loveland - Greeley - Ft Collins area. Office is on the west end of Greeley. Its still early in the process but thought I would start researching.

We have 3 kids (9-7-4) and we love the outdoors so we are contemplating the move. Sounds like Ft Collins is the place to be, good schools, but can be expensive in areas. Loveland is cheaper but sounds like a retirement community. Greeley doesn't sound too appealing and I am not seeing a lot about good schools.

We tend to gravitate to older neighborhoods, like about any architectural style from colonials and tudors to mid-century modern.

Weather? Currently in the KC area but have lived in the Twin Cities and Des Moines for comparison.
Access to bike trails and breweries are also a bonus. :wink:

TIA

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Since you said the word brewery, I'm sure that Ft. Collins is the answer. They have several and I have visited a couple including New Amsterdam (Fat Tire). They have quite a few just in a small area around there. Plus they usually have fairly nice weather. As for the city I'm not an expert as I have just visited relatives who lived there for a year.

dgwyer44

Jun 26, 2015
What makes you say loveland is a retirement town? I've spent lots of time in Loveland and would completely disagree. Lake Loveland is fun and Estes Park is very close by as well. From Loveland your only 30 minutes from Boulder and 45 from Denver. Another nice city to look into would be Longmont. Stay away from Greely that's truly the armpit of Colorado. The smell of cow manure can be very overwhelming at times but has gotten better.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009
A classmate of mine from Bondurant moved to Longmont a few years ago and he loves the area. I wouldn't classify it as a retirement area either. He recently joined a Country Club and knowing his finances it must be very reasonable or he couldn't afford it. He manages a bar and grill and loves it when fellow Iowans stop in. The food is marginal but he'd be happy to put the Clones on the big screen and cheer them on.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Looking at a possible corporate relocation to the Loveland - Greeley - Ft Collins area. Office is on the west end of Greeley. Its still early in the process but thought I would start researching.

We have 3 kids (9-7-4) and we love the outdoors so we are contemplating the move. Sounds like Ft Collins is the place to be, good schools, but can be expensive in areas. Loveland is cheaper but sounds like a retirement community. Greeley doesn't sound too appealing and I am not seeing a lot about good schools.

We tend to gravitate to older neighborhoods, like about any architectural style from colonials and tudors to mid-century modern.

Weather? Currently in the KC area but have lived in the Twin Cities and Des Moines for comparison.
Access to bike trails and breweries are also a bonus. :wink:

TIA

The weather is a couple steps up from the Midwest. It is dry so it feels a lot less cold in the winter, and a lot less hot in the summer. I don't get allergies out here.

I'd avoid Greeley. I imagine living there is what it's like to live in Nebraska.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Also look out for Longmont, There's a giant ****** named HawkeyeEllen that lives there.

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
The weather is a couple steps up from the Midwest. It is dry so it feels a lot less cold in the winter, and a lot less hot in the summer. I don't get allergies out here.

I'd avoid Greeley. I imagine living there is what it's like to live in Nebraska.

this haha.

CO is beautiful and I'm sure you'd love it! Ft. Collins is great. Been there a couple of times ... nothing but good things to say about it.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
What makes you say loveland is a retirement town? I've spent lots of time in Loveland and would completely disagree. Lake Loveland is fun and Estes Park is very close by as well. From Loveland your only 30 minutes from Boulder and 45 from Denver. Another nice city to look into would be Longmont. Stay away from Greely that's truly the armpit of Colorado. The smell of cow manure can be very overwhelming at times but has gotten better.

Thanks for the info, retirement town was a bit harsh, but thats what I was reading on some other message boards. But the posts were 5 years old, so the population has probably started turning over since then.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
A classmate of mine from Bondurant moved to Longmont a few years ago and he loves the area. I wouldn't classify it as a retirement area either. He recently joined a Country Club and knowing his finances it must be very reasonable or he couldn't afford it. He manages a bar and grill and loves it when fellow Iowans stop in. The food is marginal but he'd be happy to put the Clones on the big screen and cheer them on.

What's the name of the bar? We will look it up!

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

Good to hear about the allergies, when in Iowa and MN, mine were horrible. But since being in KC, they have almost disappeared except when the pollen dropped in the spring.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Moved to Denver a few months ago and love it out here. Best decision in a long time. And Ft. Collins is even closer to the mountains. Infinite things to do on the weekends.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron