Pre Cooking Meat

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I have a graduation in two weeks and I need to transport the food. I'm looking a two boston butt's and a brisket. Has anyone had experience cooking then freezing or vacuum sealing for a short term. I'm concerned about drying out. The Pork should have enough fat it it not overly concerned there but the brisket if I go that direction would be a tougher meat reheat? Once at the location I'm anticipating I'd warm them up in the oven or roasting pan? Any experience here welcome

jbell71464

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
My experience is this can be done rather easily with good results. I definitely vacuum seal them. When you go to reheat them. Leave them in the vacuum bags and reheat in simmering water. Either on a stove top or in an oven will work. Keeping them sealed in the bags and a gentle heat will give you good results. I use this method when I am firing up my meat smoker and I try to fill it up as much as possible. Makes an easy and quick dinner without any hassle.

Good luck

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've had good luck doing this with pork shoulders. I usually go ahead and shred the meat and freeze it dry. I'll thaw/reheat it in BBQ sauce to bring back the moisture.

Never tried it with beef.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
With pork shoulder, when I will freeze it, I will put it in a crock pot add some apple juice or chicken broth to it. I have even heard people put in a tablespoon of butter and a some water.

Depending how far you have to transport it. I plan to have it finished just before you have to leave. wrap in foil, then put a towel around it and put it in cooler. I have done butts and brisket and have served them 4-6 hours after I pulled them off the smoker and they were still darn hot yet.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My experience is this can be done rather easily with good results. I definitely vacuum seal them. When you go to reheat them. Leave them in the vacuum bags and reheat in simmering water. Either on a stove top or in an oven will work. Keeping them sealed in the bags and a gentle heat will give you good results. I use this method when I am firing up my meat smoker and I try to fill it up as much as possible. Makes an easy and quick dinner without any hassle.

Good luck
This^^^

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I actually do this quite a bit with pork shoulder. Put a drip fan under your pork to catch all of the drippings. Freeze the drippings and when it thaws out skim the fat off. Reheat your pork in a crockpot and pour the drippings in. I also throw some apple juice in as well. It turns on really well.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
Pull the bone and simmer in water with some of the fat cap and seasoning, I like Tony's and red pepper flakes. Skim the fat and fat chunks and mix with the pulled pork and freeze. Thank me later. :)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've reheated smoked pork for tailgating frequently. I usually add atleast a half can of beer. Works great for me.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've reheated both pulled pork and brisket. Turned out great for me. One of the things I like most about smoked meats, they usually taste as good or sometimes even better after being frozen IMO.