Prohm Contract Extended

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
This is a good increase but if Prohm is offered 2.5M for seven years from another P5, this deal is upped in a hurry.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
LOL. Jamie Pollard obviously doesn't understand how these things work.......but you do. LOL.

You act like JP is some coach hiring and contract writing magician. He hasn't had a good contract yet. Rhoads' was too long, McDs was too long, Fred's was so cheap he went to talk to Minnesota. I like JP and most of the things he's done here but let's not act like we are talking about the guru of contracts.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This is a good increase but if Prohm is offered 2.5M for seven years from another P5, this deal is upped in a hurry.

Probably but you can only do that so many times before someone gets sick of asking.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You act like JP is some coach hiring and contract writing magician. He hasn't had a good contract yet. Rhoads' was too long, McDs was too long, Fred's was so cheap he went to talk to Minnesota. I like JP and most of the things he's done here but let's not act like we are talking about the guru of contracts.

Fred did not leave us because of money. So just stop with the BS.

And Prohm really needs a Final Four berth on his resume. That is one thing he lacks in comparison to most of those higher paid coaches in the Big 12.

Last edited:

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Prohm and his wife have a new baby or will shortly have one.

Prohm signed the contract extension so it is a safe bet that he is happy.

Many congrats to Prohm and wife for the new baby. Always a joy but the baby doesn't write or sign a contract. The terms of the contract is a safer bet to determine Prohm's "happy factor" or lack thereof.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Many congrats to Prohm and wife for the new baby. Always a joy but the baby doesn't write or sign a contract. The terms of the contract is a safer bet to determine Prohm's "happy factor" or lack thereof.

Prohm signed a contract extension and with a new baby I doubt Prohm is looking to uproot his family. And $$$$ is not what is the driving force behind Steve Prohm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
LOL. I was dead accurate concerning Prohm and his contract extension.

Don't get mad because you were wrong about it. You just don't know how things work. LOL

No one was saying that your numbers couldn't be accurate. EVERYONE was saying that your logic was idiotic. You spent days arguing that Iowa State shouldn't pay what our peer schools are paying because it personally made you mad. Everyone else was saying, that the market is what the market is and just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't the way things are.

We couldn't go out and get a coach that had Prohm's level of success at Murray and at Iowa State (I don't give a **** with what recruits) for $2 million. So, Iowa State, is indeed getting a deal.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I know all the talk is that the coach has all the leverage. Well that isn't really true, what program was knocking on CSPs door that was better than ISU? They may offer more money, but what program is better than ISU that is currently looking for CSP to coach them? ISU is a top 20 program, with top 30 facilities, and top 5 fan support. CSP, also walked in with a roster than could win right away, that roster stuck around for year (Monte and Naz) year longer than expected when he got the job.

Underwood got $3m from Illinois because they are desperate to get back to respectability. ISU isn't desperate. If CSP walks out the door to LSU, we have a number of coaching candidates we could hire. That doesn't mean we want CSP to walk out the door, nor does it mean he hasn't earned a raise. But the idea he needs to be making $3m seems ridiculous. Just because a few schools have lost their mind doesn't mean ISU has to. As far as him being underpaid based on performance, see the discussion about the roster, it was tailor made to win last year and this year. JP has to work for the AD department not just throw the checkbook open and give CSP what crazy ADs are giving coaches.

All that said, I think CSP is a good coach, I want him to stick around. I like his vision on the program, I like the way he represents the university, I like the way he has brought guys along. Everything points to him being a winner, and a keeper. I also think he feels he has something to prove. So let him prove it. Give him this very nice raise of 33%, give me a little more money for his assistants, listen to him about what he needs for the program to be special in the future. He goes and makes the NCAA tourney next year, and the year after that and the year after that, he is going to get paid. But right now the JP has to protect the AD from the unknown. With there being two unknowns, A) is CSP really going to be a top tier P5 coach and B) what is ISU basketball without CSP. Right now ISU basketball is in a good place with or without CSP. So JP has some leverage, and he used it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Prohm signed a contract extension and with a new baby I doubt Prohm is looking to uproot his family. And $$$$ is not what is the driving force behind Steve Prohm.

You can say $$$ doesn't drive him, but if after next year Steve was sitting at less than $2 mil and someone (Alabama, LSU, Louisville, someone down south) offered him $3.5, that is life changing money.

Giving him this bump gives Prohm tangible proof that ISU can and will invest in him financially. A 500k bump is a big deal, especially with one of the smaller P5 athletic budgets. After a 500k bump if someone offers $3.5 mil Prohm has proof ISU will come to bat for him.

There's no downside for ISU getting him to $2 mil. If they did nothing but tack on a year it screams to other ADs the guy can be poached. Prohm will get a minimum of 3 more years regardless of results. If this isn't working after 3 (no chance IMO seeing the changes he made to established players and his recruits) he's owed $4 mil, and everyone goes on their merry way.

Reactions: Bobber

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know all the talk is that the coach has all the leverage. Well that isn't really true, what program was knocking on CSPs door that was better than ISU? They may offer more money, but what program is better than ISU that is currently looking for CSP to coach them? ISU is a top 20 program, with top 30 facilities, and top 5 fan support. CSP, also walked in with a roster than could win right away, that roster stuck around for year (Monte and Naz) year longer than expected when he got the job.

Underwood got $3m from Illinois because they are desperate to get back to respectability. ISU isn't desperate. If CSP walks out the door to LSU, we have a number of coaching candidates we could hire. That doesn't mean we want CSP to walk out the door, nor does it mean he hasn't earned a raise. But the idea he needs to be making $3m seems ridiculous. Just because a few schools have lost their mind doesn't mean ISU has to. As far as him being underpaid based on performance, see the discussion about the roster, it was tailor made to win last year and this year. JP has to work for the AD department not just throw the checkbook open and give CSP what crazy ADs are giving coaches.

All that said, I think CSP is a good coach, I want him to stick around. I like his vision on the program, I like the way he represents the university, I like the way he has brought guys along. Everything points to him being a winner, and a keeper. I also think he feels he has something to prove. So let him prove it. Give him this very nice raise of 33%, give me a little more money for his assistants, listen to him about what he needs for the program to be special in the future. He goes and makes the NCAA tourney next year, and the year after that and the year after that, he is going to get paid. But right now the JP has to protect the AD from the unknown. With there being two unknowns, A) is CSP really going to be a top tier P5 coach and B) what is ISU basketball without CSP. Right now ISU basketball is in a good place with or without CSP. So JP has some leverage, and he used it.

See this is where our idiot fans are idiots. We have no idea what schools would or would not want Prohm. We also don't know what he and his family think is a better program than Iowa State. His wife is southern. Iowa State has NEVER done well with southern wives. They always want out. Prom has also been very outspoken about how hard it has been to follow a legend here. Our idiot fans assume that Iowa State is doing our coaches some huge favor. We aren't.

I personally never understood why Holberg wanted to go work for a slimy ******* in Gar Forman and go to a place that would obviously never like him, but I was told over and over again that it was the life changing money and that it was his one true dream in life to go. So just because you can't understand why Prohm would leave for a job you consider to be below Iowa State doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

Also, why do you assume we would have coaches lining up to coach at Iowa State for $1.5 million a year (our starting salary)?

This whole discussion is academic for at least a year since he signed the contract, but the idiotic comments are alarming.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

And Prohm really needs a Final Four berth on his resume. That is one thing he lacks in comparison to most of those higher paid coaches in the Big 12.

Serious? Shaka may have a final four berth but I can say I've been way more impressed with Prohm's coaching than Shaka's. And Shaka has all the inherent advantages of being at Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Stewo

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I said nothing even resembling that. Again, quit making things up.

How many FFs do those coaches paid more than him have? Two? Shaka Smart on the fluke run and Bob Huggins in the Big East? Of course that's outside of Bill Self who isn't really part of the discussion because I don't expect to get near his pay unless we have a load of titles.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Well said.

Iowa State and Steve Prohm are happy. I am happy with the contract. And feel it was a fair contract. I know that within a couple of years we are looking at Campbell's contract. With Iowa State's Athletic Department Revenue we must be wise in how we spend money.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I said nothing even resembling that. Again, quit making things up.

How many FFs do those coaches paid more than him have? Two? Shaka Smart on the fluke run and Bob Huggins in the Big East? Of course that's outside of Bill Self who isn't really part of the discussion because I don't expect to get near his pay unless we have a load of titles.

*cough* Lon Kruger has 2 including last year *cough*

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
*cough* Lon Kruger has 2 including last year *cough*

Oh ****, forgot about him. Ok, so 4 total and one has come with the current team in their current conference while another has been with their current team.