Proposed rule changes

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
A couple of big changes that I think will help improve the sport.

-"When in the neutral position, the referee will verbally announce a danger signal to any wrestler who becomes stationary on his back with his shoulders at an angle of 90 degrees or less to the mat surface. The verbal announcement will be followed by an audible three-count. If the referee reaches the third count and the wrestler is still on his back within the 90-degree angle, control will be considered to have been established and a takedown will be awarded." (Will eliminate some of the scrambles where one guy is on his back for an extended amount of time, which was getting ridiculous)

-Headgear optional (in my experience headgear did more harm than good).

-Facial hair allowed (don't know why it was outlawed in the first place, could potentially reduce skin infections).

- Stricter penalties for not following descent plan and/or trying to cheat the descent plan process

Overall really happy with what the committee put on the table. They listened to what coaches, fans, and wrestlers were saying, kudos to them!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Scramble is good.
Wish they would clean up the stalling on edge that they introduced last year

3rd party review is necessary or get rid of review

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I wish they would treat a coaches challenge that wasn't overturned like a injury time out. There are too many challenges for no reason or to give a lung timeout.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wish they would treat a coaches challenge that wasn't overturned like a injury time out. There are too many challenges for no reason or to give a lung timeout.

On the flipside though there are lots of legit challenges that don't get overturned. Coaches are already limited in the number available to prevent them from challenging for a lung timeout.