Idea: Q&A Podcast

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Hines takes twitter questions and does a podcast answering them. Jon Miller and Steve Deace just did a joint Q&A pod yesterday also taking questions for twitter. I would love to hear Chris and Jared on a pod together (or solo) taking questions from twitter or the forums.

Don't know if this would fit into your guys current podcast schedule but just an idea.

Thanks for all you guys do!

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Just to piggyback off the OP, but have you guys thought about producing a podcast geared more around storytelling? Kind of like Serial or S-Town podcasts, but probably not as in-depth as I don't think each episode has to be longer than 30 minutes.

I understand that these type of podcast would take more in time in terms of producing and post-production, but I think if you guys worked on these after basketball season ends it would a great way to drive traffic in an otherwise slow time of year on the site.

Hypothetically, if one episode was about Pete Taylor. I think it would be cool to start the episode off with sound bites of Taylor's more recognize calls, and then transition to a narrator to set up story and give more of the biographical information about Taylor. After that the narrator would move on to an interview with Eric Heft, to discuss their partnership and Taylor's contributions to ISU. Then move on to John Walters to talk how big of an influence Taylor had on Walter's career. Obviously you could interview as many people as you want, like other media personalities, former coaches, and former players, with each interview being broken up by narration and/or more play calls by Taylor.

Each episodes does not have to based on a individual, but just has to be centered around ISU athletics. For example you can discuss an impressive win, an important event, or even focus on a great team.

This is just an idea, and I understand if you guys don't want to devote resources to something like. However, I do think this would be a hugely popular.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just to piggyback off the OP, but have you guys thought about producing a podcast geared more around storytelling? Kind of like Serial or S-Town podcasts, but probably not as in-depth as I don't think each episode has to be longer than 30 minutes.

I understand that these type of podcast would take more in time in terms of producing and post-production, but I think if you guys worked on these after basketball season ends it would a great way to drive traffic in an otherwise slow time of year on the site.

Hypothetically, if one episode was about Pete Taylor. I think it would be cool to start the episode off with sound bites of Taylor's more recognize calls, and then transition to a narrator to set up story and give more of the biographical information about Taylor. After that the narrator would move on to an interview with Eric Heft, to discuss their partnership and Taylor's contributions to ISU. Then move on to John Walters to talk how big of an influence Taylor had on Walter's career. Obviously you could interview as many people as you want, like other media personalities, former coaches, and former players, with each interview being broken up by narration and/or more play calls by Taylor.

Each episodes does not have to based on a individual, but just has to be centered around ISU athletics. For example you can discuss an impressive win, an important event, or even focus on a great team.

This is just an idea, and I understand if you guys don't want to devote resources to something like. However, I do think this would be a hugely popular.

Funny you say this because I actually talked with Jared about this SPECIFIC idea on Saturday. I want to do an oral history type of deal on the 1998 Cy-Hawk game ... considering this year will be the 20th anniversary. I'm hoping we can get a "season" of these sold to a sponsor so it can justify putting so much time into them. It will take a lot of time. The Taylor idea is a perfect season one episode for sure.

Reactions: MLawrence

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Funny you say this because I actually talked with Jared about this SPECIFIC idea on Saturday. I want to do an oral history type of deal on the 1998 Cy-Hawk game ... considering this year will be the 20th anniversary. I'm hoping we can get a "season" of these sold to a sponsor so it can justify putting so much time into them. It will take a lot of time. The Taylor idea is a perfect season one episode for sure.

Awesome! To make things easier for your workload, you should decide (or at least try to decide) what all of the topics would be for the first season. That way when you have interviews set up, you can ask the interviewee about different topics for different episodes instead interviewing them about one topic only to find out you may want to interview that same person again for a different topic for a different episode.

I apologies if this all stuff that you already know, but I figured I would add some advice since I am a video producer and this is same stuff I try to figure out for my own projects.