Questions on Recruiting?

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Do most recruits commit shortly before signing day? Right now we only have a few commitments but I don't know if this is reason for concern. I should keep in mind that we have a ways to go, but I'm getting nervous/excited about how well Chizik can recruit with a full recruiting season.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
A lot of them keep their options open until signing day draws near. I wouldn't be too concerned with having a dozen plus change recruits so far. We are in decent shape, but still need to finish strong. I like what we are bringing to the table in the new recruiting class so far. We are still recruiting some good players too, so it could get better, we'll have to wait and see. But then again, stars don't mean much.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There are several quality players that I personally think are on the verge of joining the good guys. I try my best not to report on all the recruiting rumors and happenings but Paul Clark does a terrific job on CR of covering those things. Of course you have to stay here too but I thought I'd let you know that we might be hearing more over the next couple days.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
alright! that settles it. i hereby declare myself a Paul Clark and CR an instead of a Jeremy and CF fan.

yep, couldnt even type it with a straight face. good thing i dont actually ever have to tell that lie.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
There are several quality players that I personally think are on the verge of joining the good guys. I try my best not to report on all the recruiting rumors and happenings but Paul Clark does a terrific job on CR of covering those things. Of course you have to stay here too but I thought I'd let you know that we might be hearing more over the next couple days.

you make me want to subscribe...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Paul must have a professional hit out against Jeremy if he spills the beans.:mask:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just letting people know where to go if they want all the ins-and-outs on recruiting info. I know that's more info than most need and want to pay for but obviously it has it's market and I wanted to make sure people had their choices.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny

Are you backing off on recruiting since you were OHHHH-pher the Stinett, McFarland, & Walker guarantees from basketball?? :wink:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I was right about 95.6 % of the time but these are young kids - they don't even know what they're doing or thinking. Anyways, I backed off about 9 months ago but was just replying to the thread to help the poster.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I can't believe people pay for recruiting information that is free to the public, like a week later.....in the mean time what does this information do for you? Nothing!!!! And, they practically put a gag order on people so they can't communicate this information to anyone who hasn't paid. And then how ripped off do you feel when players decommit. No, I was never a member over there, and I don't have a rift with any website owner, I just don't get it. Guess it shows that people will pay for anything. Do they get anything else for there money besides one-week advanced recruiting information?

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
What you get for your money:

I did a trial subscription and ended up keeping it over Signing Day one year. There are some worthwhile parts. The interviews with recruits can be interesting, but sometimes get repetitive. You can tell some of the kids are tired of answering the same questions about where they want to go to school, but some get a kick out of it still and have fun with it. The interviews with current players can be very cool, but Clone Zone supplies me with enough of that. What always bugged me was the fact that quite often (not always) a lot of what is posted was transcripts of press conferences or even actual press releases from Iowa State that is branded as premium. I have no problem with interviews and articles being something you have to pay for - in fact, that's the way it should be. But if you didn't write it, it's hard for me to swallow making others pay for it.

As for the knowledge of who has committed, yeah, I think that's a bit ridiculous to pay for just to have a few days early. But at the same time it can be fun. One thing to remember is that the "bigger" the committ in terms of talent, the sooner other people will find out about it. If Paul knows about it, it's virtually a guarantee that someone on this board does. If it's exciting enough, someone will let us know. If it's a run of the mill player who has been looking at us for awhile and everyone knows it, it may take awhile to learn about, but it won't exactly shock you anyways. Just my thoughts.